GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many on this forum I’ve been riding over 40 years and have owned quite a few bikes. Getting up in years I’ve found that being healthy and staying reasonably fit makes long distance riding easier. On the other hand, you can try to be fit by exercising, but Father Time likes to give us bad backs, stiff necks, knee problems. I thought when I was much younger that my reflexes would go first, they haven’t, but then when you’re young you’re unaware of the above ailments.

Four of my last six bikes were gsxr1000’s and an sV1000. I like sport bikes, but sold my K5 gsxr1000 in order to buy my gsx. Even though I had helI bars on the gsxr and lowering plates (it was pretty comfy as a sport bike) I couldn't overcome the stiffness in my neck and needed something more upright.

Thats why I bought the gsxs. I loved the motor in the K5, so it was a major plus. I won’t go into the comparisons between a gsxr1000 and the gsxs, other than to say that much as I loved the K5 it lacked one thing, character. It did everything well, maybe too well. You couldn’t get a speed buzz out of it, unless you were driving at ridiculous speeds. The faster you went the better it performed. The gsxs has character, and once you sort out a few things, it’s a blast to ride.

Im digressing. So far I’ve only ridden around 300 kilometres a day, what I consider short rides. The seat for me is pretty comfortable, although I prefer a Corbin like hard seat, and I haven’t been getting a sore butt. But I’m wondering how good the gsxs is on a long trip when you’re doing long daily rides.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a 2500 mile trip from Washington through Idaho and Montana this summer. My 2018 GSX-S1000F worked surprisingly well as a sports tourer. Riding position is decent and the seat not bad for 2 hour stints. I felt no real fatigue at the end of the day and was impressed with the overall composure and ease. I put a set of SW-Motech Blaze soft bags on and was able to carry all I needed. There are better touring machines out there but I really enjoy the sportiness and versatility.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I regularly do all day runs on Wales' best twisty B roads of 250- 300 miles and find the GSXS (F) very comfortable. Euro tours with Autoroute and Autobahn use can reach 500 fast miles but motorways are dull and only used to get somwhere fast. I find 85mph cruise to be optimal balance of speed & economy.

Reactions: zoomdude57

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can do long trips on anything, depends what you are capable of and how much comfort/cosseting you need.
I did 1000+ mile trips around Scotland on my MZ 250 ETZ, sometimes had to slipstream lorries going up the M6 against the wind. Aye, them were the days. :)

Reactions: Simon W

·
Registered
17 Posts
My very first ride on gsxs was from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg for ~750-800kms and took me ~8h, arrived home pretty tired, but it was +10 for last 4hours 🥶

Riding 110-130km/h is nice from acoustic point of view and fuel consumption. accelerations are easy, stability is perfect. No wind on knees or below. but on upper thigs, what is not a big problem for me. Acceptable comfort and nice feelings on 130-150km/h.

After sometime, I attached Cortech soft side bags, big stripe was under the seat and small one behind, so that it was OK to ride with a pillion.

We got 200km together and she was absolutely ok ;)

and one more to show aerodinamics

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do long trips on anything, depends what you are capable of and how much comfort/cosseting you need.
I did 1000+ mile trips around Scotland on my MZ 250 ETZ, sometimes had to slipstream lorries going up the M6 against the wind. Aye, them were the days. :)
I agree. I’ve ridden 1500 kilometres in a day on a stock gsxr1000, but that was a while back. My last long day ride was on my Vfr750, 1400 k in 13 hours, from North Carolina to Ontario. But that was mainly interstate, which is far easier to do than on back roads. Long days on B roads are more tiring, especially if the weather isn’t the greatest.

I love the zip of the gsxs. Top gear could be more relaxed for touring, as could the suspension being slightly softer. I’ve found in the past when riding distance, that if you’re suspension starts to feel as if you’re hitting every bump, then chances are you are dehydrated, even if you don’t feel thirsty.

I find at 6’2” the windshield doesn't prevent much wind blast around my helmet. I’ve considered a taller screen, but I hate clunky looking screens. I’ve seen some shorty screens for the f, but don’t know how good they are. If they directed the air blast to below my neck, then that would probably work for me. Still don’t care for the tires, dont have much feel, but have to admit that I can put the bike on t3, gun it, and the tc light doesn’t come on, so they must be fairly sticky.

This bike grows on me every time I use it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree. I’ve ridden 1500 kilometres in a day on a stock gsxr1000, but that was a while back. My last long day ride was on my Vfr750, 1400 k in 13 hours, from North Carolina to Ontario. But that was mainly interstate, which is far easier to do than on back roads. Long days on B roads are more tiring, especially if the weather isn’t the greatest.

I love the zip of the gsxs. Top gear could be more relaxed for touring, as could the suspension being slightly softer. I’ve found in the past when riding distance, that if you’re suspension starts to feel as if you’re hitting every bump, then chances are you are dehydrated, even if you don’t feel thirsty.

I find at 6’2” the windshield doesn't prevent much wind blast around my helmet. I’ve considered a taller screen, but I hate clunky looking screens. I’ve seen some shorty screens for the f, but don’t know how good they are. If they directed the air blast to below my neck, then that would probably work for me. Still don’t care for the tires, dont have much feel, but have to admit that I can put the bike on t3, gun it, and the tc light doesn’t come on, so they must be fairly sticky.

This bike grows on me every time I use it.
try original windshield from Suzuki, heard it is designed to be used up to 170km/h.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've recently completed a tour of Scotland and the Highlands. Six days riding in mixed weather. Heading out for 7 hour plus days. I'm a larger gentleman...6'2". My F model has the Suzuki taller screen, tank bag and heated grips. I fitted the SW Motech Blaze panniers. The seat is surprisingly comfortable, the screen is good if noisy, the luggage capacity is fine for solo riding. The bike remains light and nimble and responsive. I am going to improve the suspension but I love this bike and would recommend it for solo tours.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I am going to improve the suspension but I love this bike and would recommend it for solo tours.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.
I've done quite a few miles and plenty of touring and this, for a solo rider, is pretty much as good as anything out there.
It's not a full blown tourer and there are better bikes for everyday long trips nor is it a focused sports bike but it does hit a pretty good balance between the two.

It certainly has enough practicality built into it for super long distances. Lets face it, most discomfort is a result of lack of what I call "Bike Fit". If you don't ride much, your going to hurt by the end of the day no matter what you ride. A few years ago I took my SP2 (RC51 for the US Guys) from England to Italy and it wasn't much of a hardship. I would probably think twice about doing it now!
But I still want to have fun on my bike and this definitely has the power and handling to still let me think I'm Barry Sheen on the odd occasion and I don't have to get bent up like a pretzel to do it:LOL:
Just ride it, you'll get used to the aches ands pains...and then with a few miles they will disappear

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can certainly compare it with previous bikes. I've had a bmw1200RT and loved it, but it was too big really for one person...I also did 2800 miles in a week last year riding through France and Spain on an Aprilia Tuono V4R...the GSXS sits nicely between those two extremes. All bikes are a compromise and for the money the GSXS1000 is an amazing bike. I had a KTM1290SAS before this bike, did the same Scottish Highlands tour last year on it and definitely prefer the Suzuki. Steers better, has more feel and I love the engine and the lightness of the bike...plus it doesn't have all the electronics to go wrong.
I also had a Honda SP2, but it wasn't even comfortable on the track for long...good fun though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can certainly compare it with previous bikes. I've had a bmw1200RT and loved it, but it was too big really for one person...I also did 2800 miles in a week last year riding through France and Spain on an Aprilia Tuono V4R...the GSXS sits nicely between those two extremes. All bikes are a compromise and for the money the GSXS1000 is an amazing bike. I had a KTM1290SAS before this bike, did the same Scottish Highlands tour last year on it and definitely prefer the Suzuki. Steers better, has more feel and I love the engine and the lightness of the bike...plus it doesn't have all the electronics to go wrong.
I also had a Honda SP2, but it wasn't even comfortable on the track for long...good fun though.
I was about to buy R1200RT, but when i sit on it, it was same feeling as sitting in my VW Passat =)
There was a used GSXS nearby, i made a 'ass test' and bought it in few weeks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
try original windshield from Suzuki, heard it is designed to be used up to 170km/h.
I’m not sure what windshield you’re talking about. My f is stock and has the original windshield. I’m considering the MRA touring windshield which is slightly wider and taller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has the Touring Pack...Suzuki taller screen, heated grips, tank bag and tail pack. The bike came with the pack...ridiculously expensive if bought separately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My very first ride on gsxs was from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg for ~750-800kms and took me ~8h, arrived home pretty tired, but it was +10 for last 4hours 🥶

Riding 110-130km/h is nice from acoustic point of view and fuel consumption. accelerations are easy, stability is perfect. No wind on knees or below. but on upper thigs, what is not a big problem for me. Acceptable comfort and nice feelings on 130-150km/h.

After sometime, I attached Cortech soft side bags, big stripe was under the seat and small one behind, so that it was OK to ride with a pillion.

View attachment 44298
View attachment 44299
View attachment 44300
View attachment 44301

View attachment 44302
That is totally Awesome and exactly what I have been trying to figure out how to do on my brand new 2020 GSXS 1000ZAMO as I really want and need to put carry bags on my bike as I want to take it in a 3,000 mile trip but I want to attach bags in away I don't damage my bike in any way or scratch thre plastic rear painted side skirts that run up beside passenger seat to rear of bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts

View attachment 44298
View attachment 44299
View attachment 44300
View attachment 44301

View attachment 44302
I've noticed you bought and installed sliders on your bike im not sure what they are actually called but im referring to the items that keep your bike from getting wrecked if slide on side on road protect bike and possibly legs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where did you get the top case, and how did you mount it? Nice work.
I bouth a bike with this kit by GIVI

Rack 3110FZ + M8Bplate + Dolomiti 46L black case. Seems a bit enduro, but it is aluminium so must survive even if dropped down at 200+km\h.
I have plans to install "E164POLYURETHANE BACKREST (BLACK)' for a pillion. But next season, parked the bike yesterday at warn nest for a winter sleep =)

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is totally Awesome and exactly what I have been trying to figure out how to do on my brand new 2020 GSXS 1000ZAMO as I really want and need to put carry bags on my bike as I want to take it in a 3,000 mile trip but I want to attach bags in away I don't damage my bike in any way or scratch thre plastic rear painted side skirts that run up beside passenger seat to rear of bike.
There are few poinst with these bags:
1. There are 2 stripes:
a. Front and wide
b. Rear and narrow.
each stipe has protection "skin" with soft and rubbered bottom surface. Big stripe was kinda difficult to place under the seat because of the seat lock. Back stripe is placed behind the seat and "skin" is quite long for a narrow tail of the GSXS. But I just rolled it and attached to a top case rail.

2. Bags have small gap with tail lights. I guess it will be a collision if put >3kg in each bag. BUt light are flixible, so probably wont be a problem. and I want to replace for a LED lights, becase those are not afraid bumpy roads and give more light = safety.

3. Soft bags (current model) have no lock, so you need to remove them from bike.... at least in Russia =) ha-ha-ha.

4. Soft bad overlap the seat lock, so you have to be careful with plastic locks.

Bike is on winter sleep, but bags at my home. I can do some photos if you need. =)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've noticed you bought and installed sliders on your bike im not sure what they are actually called but im referring to the items that keep your bike from getting wrecked if slide on side on road protect bike and possibly legs?
Slidiers are black plastic cylinders on wheels axes.

Tube construction is a cage used to protect bike. Normally cage should be used if you do stunt and/or gymkhama and go on the edge frequently. I have "street" series, which is not best protection, but not require to drill the plastic.There are also "PRO" series which is more safe for bike, but requres drilling on -F. For legs, I guess they will help too =)
Cage is from "Crazy iron" (Russia) brand, not sure it is available overseas. But sure you can find it by other brands.

You also can attached additional light. web cam or a can with a fuel on the cage.
Last option might be a nice show if you fall down, crash the can and fire up a fuel by sparks from cage scratching on an asphalt. LMAO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you very very much. I live in New England Boston Massachusetts so like you im getting ready to put my bike away for the winter months let it rest till late March or April but while it's doing that will be the time for me to locate and purchase the protection kit and also the travel bags so it will be ready in spring for a long tour ride..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts