GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mine has the Touring Pack...Suzuki taller screen, heated grips, tank bag and tail pack. The bike came with the pack...ridiculously expensive if bought separately.
Thanks for the info. Suzuki Canada don’t always sell the same accessories that you get in Europe and other countries. Bikes here are basically toys for most riders, so touring packages I find are rarely offered by Suzuki for most of their range. I’ll look into the British accessories. I use an Oxford tail pack which has seen better days, but it works well, even on the tiny gsxs seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info. Suzuki Canada don’t always sell the same accessories that you get in Europe and other countries. Bikes here are basically toys for most riders, so touring packages I find are rarely offered by Suzuki for most of their range. I’ll look into the British accessories. I use an Oxford tail pack which has seen better days, but it works well, even on the tiny gsxs seat.
You can find the tall windshield on Webike.com (Japan).
I have Oxford heated grips too ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
My longest trip on my GSXS was a week (rode from ontario to the cabot trail) and I found that the bike is not great for long trips so I bought a 2nd bike (an adventure bike) that I now use for touring, and my gixxus only goes on day rides. I still regularly do long day rides (800+ kms) on the gixxus but wouldn't want to do multiple long days in a row.

First of all, the leg position is too cramped (I am tall). I can tolerate it for a day once in a while, but wouldn't want to do it multiple days in a row. The other problem is the lack of hard cases. I have some throwover saddle bags, and find that they're just too annoying to deal with. You gotta use extra straps to secure them properly and it's very annoying having to deal with the straps. I also have a 30L kriega bag which works well but 30L isn't enough for a week long trip. There are aftermarket racks which will allow you to mount hard cases and a top box but I don't want racks permanently attached to my bike. The lack of wind protection doesn't really bother me, in fact I prefer it over the bigger screen on my adventure bike which sometimes causes buffeting, I'd rather have my helmet in clean air. The relatively short range (300 kms, less if you ride hard) can be a problem in remote areas, whereas my adventure bike goes 450 kms on a tank.

Plus with an adventure bike, if I encounter an unpaved road I want to explore, no problem. I can't do that on the gixxus.

So while the gixxus can do touring, it's not the best for the job and I found that a more touring oriented bike works much better.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ya'all need to toughen up, this guy went round the world on an R1 (y) Nick Sanders

Reactions: JWC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya'all need to toughen up, this guy went round the world on an R1 (y) Nick Sanders
This is a point. Gsxs is not the best touring bike, that it obvious, there much more suitable bike for that, same with cars, Saburban or Tahoe are good for traveling, but it does not mean you can do family tour to the beach side with your family on your daily driving VW Golf GT ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bouth a bike with this kit by GIVI

Rack 3110FZ + M8Bplate + Dolomiti 46L black case. Seems a bit enduro, but it is aluminium so must survive even if dropped down at 200+km\h.
I have plans to install "E164POLYURETHANE BACKREST (BLACK)' for a pillion. But next season, parked the bike yesterday at warn nest for a winter sleep =)
Good to know. Thanks for taking time to post the details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a viffer 800 for commuting touring and 2 up , I think alot folk look at a faired gixus as a soft tourer ...it is not , the fairing offers very little protection what it does do is aid downforce on front end at speed particularly on full lean . Of course you can tour on it its reasonably comfy , lots better options out there , however not many bikes will let your ride to valencia with good mpg , track it in fast group , ride back the scenic route , then go to work on it Monday ....just brilliant

·
Registered
10 Posts
My very first ride on gsxs was from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg for ~750-800kms and took me ~8h, arrived home pretty tired, but it was +10 for last 4hours 🥶

Riding 110-130km/h is nice from acoustic point of view and fuel consumption. accelerations are easy, stability is perfect. No wind on knees or below. but on upper thigs, what is not a big problem for me. Acceptable comfort and nice feelings on 130-150km/h.

After sometime, I attached Cortech soft side bags, big stripe was under the seat and small one behind, so that it was OK to ride with a pillion.

We got 200km together and she was absolutely ok ;)

View attachment 44298
View attachment 44299
View attachment 44300
View attachment 44301

and one more to show aerodinamics
View attachment 44302
Does that luggage also serve as a back rest for a passenger. My wife rode my cruiser with me everywhere and i cant get her on this GSXS due to no seat rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does that luggage also serve as a back rest for a passenger. My wife rode my cruiser with me everywhere and i cant get her on this GSXS due to no seat rest.
I will buy for a next season and Givi E164 POLYURETHANE BACKREST to make it more suitable for a pillion.

Surely, it won't be a real seat as on big cruisers by HD or tourist from BMW, but it is better than nothing for sure.
I notices that sidebags makes bike's more wide, and more safe from pillion point of view =)

p.s. there is a note that max. load in top case is 10kgs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like many on this forum I’ve been riding over 40 years and have owned quite a few bikes. Getting up in years I’ve found that being healthy and staying reasonably fit makes long distance riding easier. On the other hand, you can try to be fit by exercising, but Father Time likes to give us bad backs, stiff necks, knee problems. I thought when I was much younger that my reflexes would go first, they haven’t, but then when you’re young you’re unaware of the above ailments.

Four of my last six bikes were gsxr1000’s and an sV1000. I like sport bikes, but sold my K5 gsxr1000 in order to buy my gsx. Even though I had helI bars on the gsxr and lowering plates (it was pretty comfy as a sport bike) I couldn't overcome the stiffness in my neck and needed something more upright.

Thats why I bought the gsxs. I loved the motor in the K5, so it was a major plus. I won’t go into the comparisons between a gsxr1000 and the gsxs, other than to say that much as I loved the K5 it lacked one thing, character. It did everything well, maybe too well. You couldn’t get a speed buzz out of it, unless you were driving at ridiculous speeds. The faster you went the better it performed. The gsxs has character, and once you sort out a few things, it’s a blast to ride.

Im digressing. So far I’ve only ridden around 300 kilometres a day, what I consider short rides. The seat for me is pretty comfortable, although I prefer a Corbin like hard seat, and I haven’t been getting a sore butt. But I’m wondering how good the gsxs is on a long trip when you’re doing long daily rides.
Like many on this forum I’ve been riding over 40 years and have owned quite a few bikes. Getting up in years I’ve found that being healthy and staying reasonably fit makes long distance riding easier. On the other hand, you can try to be fit by exercising, but Father Time likes to give us bad backs, stiff necks, knee problems. I thought when I was much younger that my reflexes would go first, they haven’t, but then when you’re young you’re unaware of the above ailments.

Four of my last six bikes were gsxr1000’s and an sV1000. I like sport bikes, but sold my K5 gsxr1000 in order to buy my gsx. Even though I had helI bars on the gsxr and lowering plates (it was pretty comfy as a sport bike) I couldn't overcome the stiffness in my neck and needed something more upright.

Thats why I bought the gsxs. I loved the motor in the K5, so it was a major plus. I won’t go into the comparisons between a gsxr1000 and the gsxs, other than to say that much as I loved the K5 it lacked one thing, character. It did everything well, maybe too well. You couldn’t get a speed buzz out of it, unless you were driving at ridiculous speeds. The faster you went the better it performed. The gsxs has character, and once you sort out a few things, it’s a blast to ride.

Im digressing. So far I’ve only ridden around 300 kilometres a day, what I consider short rides. The seat for me is pretty comfortable, although I prefer a Corbin like hard seat, and I haven’t been getting a sore butt. But I’m wondering how good the gsxs is on a long trip when you’re doing long daily rides.
i have recently completed the NW 500 in Scotland with my 19’ F.
we did1600 miles in 6 days, (up to scotland and back),days were 200 miles plus... all i can say is i’m more in love with the bike then before... set of Givi panniers and a rear bag and couldnt wish for more.. The bike loved the mileage i was getting 160 miles+ from a tank, cant rate this bike enough..

·
Registered
304 Posts
My very first ride on gsxs was from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg for ~750-800kms and took me ~8h, arrived home pretty tired, but it was +10 for last 4hours 🥶
I would love to ride through russia one day. There must be some loooooong lonely roads there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would love to ride through russia one day. There must be some loooooong lonely roads there.
Always welcome!
I did some local tours on my previous bike (small 310cc BMW) and with GSXS I am going to do some real touring next season.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Always welcome!
I did some local tours on my previous bike (small 310cc BMW) and with GSXS I am going to do some real touring next season.
When you go, you should take lots of pictures and post them on this forum. I'd like to tour through russia but the problem is I don't speak russian so it would probably be hard to buy food, get gas, check into motels, etc. I wouldn't want to tour around moscow or other cities or crowded highways, I'd want to go on the remote roads and through small towns, and look at nature.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts