GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to figure out whether I want the faired or naked version and was wondering how many of you end up changing the stock screen on the F. Or is it already about as good as most aftermarket solutions? If I'm going to have to end up buying a new screen for the F version, might as well save the money and start with the naked.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the naked!! the F is too girly lol
Everyone on this forum seems to have a strong opinion of which bike is best! I'm really on the fence - even made a list of the + and - of each, still trying to decide. (Have to admit, though, the F being too girly wasn't on my list, lol.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've always preferred naked bikes, but bought the F this time. I commute a lot in a variety of weather conditions, and felt the extra protection would be useful. I've fitted an MRA touring screen (a little ugly, but very functional). It's a major improvement over the stock, with airflow heading straight over my helmet now. It really depends on what type of riding you want to do.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Everyone on this forum seems to have a strong opinion of which bike is best! I'm really on the fence - even made a list of the + and - of each, still trying to decide. (Have to admit, though, the F being too girly wasn't on my list, lol.)
What's going to be the majority of you riding? Will you be mainly popping around town or will you want to go off for longer jaunts on the weekend?
The F with the std fairing is good enough to protect you from most of the highway buffeting. If you are out all day it's far less tiring and a little warmer when the temps drop. On the other hand, if you don't do those sort of trips, do you need it?
Or you could just go for the best looks and get the F version;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really wanted the F when I started looking at these bikes, and did a demo ride on the F. It was nice, but less wind protection than I was hoping for, and I could not get past the "Burgman Scooter" front end, so I bought a Red & Black, naked, ABS.

Ya, it can get a bit windy on the interstate, but I spend most of my time on 45-55 mph back roads these days. I have ridden for several hours on the interstate, and I will probably get a Puig or MRA windscreen to install before I do that again........and when I get home, I'll probably take it back off until the next time.

One thing I really enjoy about the naked is that the airflow is very smooth. I really hate the buffeting that some windscreens generate, it can be much more annoying than the "constant wind" on a naked. My FZ-1 generated a lot of buffeting until I trimmed the windscreen which reduced it, but it was always there to some extent..... Just my 2 cents

I'm sure you will be happy with either bike... I love mine!

·
Registered
141 Posts
in the city and a bit of highway my naked is perfect, just zoom by, slow down, turn, etc, it's fun

I probably wouldn't get this bike for long rides, F or naked, just not this bike all together for longer rides

·
Registered
111 Posts
I mostly commute on the highway, so for me the F model was the only option. I rode a naked bike for 2 years and hated every second being on the highway with it. If you want to arrive with a sore neck and fight the wind every time you ride, get a naked. I'm 6'1 and keeping the stock screen

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought the faired model this afternoon! The stock screen does block wind to the torso, but still get a lot to the helmet. At least it is clean air, not much buffeting. Though I could see myself experimenting with a different screen someday, like maybe the MRA Touring mentioned above. Thanks to all for the input.

Reactions: 4ce and dima_cnj

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm keeping the stock screen as its almost good enough for me but i'm just getting 2 longer allen screws and a few rubber spacer washers for the upper 2 mounts....that way i can fairly quickly raise the screen angle.
Stock screws are too short to do this as they are M5x20...plan to get x30's to allow upto 10mm raise....I am however only 5ft6 so don't need a bigger screen unlike some.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm keeping the stock screen as its almost good enough for me but i'm just getting 2 longer allen screws and a few rubber spacer washers for the upper 2 mounts....that way i can fairly quickly raise the screen angle.
Stock screws are too short to do this as they are M5x20...plan to get x30's to allow upto 10mm raise....I am however only 5ft6 so don't need a bigger screen unlike some.
That's exactly what I am thinking about trying. If you think about it, post back with your results. Of course, might not be the same for me as I'm about 6'2".

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, which MRA screen is good?

The racing version or the touring version?

Somewhere i've read that the racing version is taller than the touring one and the racing one double bubble one has less buffeting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's exactly what I am thinking about trying. If you think about it, post back with your results. Of course, might not be the same for me as I'm about 6'2".
I did a basic test with just 5mm packers and it eased the 3 figure speed need to duck down a little.
I think the shape of the stock screen is pretty good and i've used touring screens which create turbulence / extra noise at high speeds.

Crappy weather at the minute so not been out much... i'll post photos when i get a chance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reviews say F has better balance

Some of the reviews say the front tire is more planted and gives better feedback on the F due to slightly more weight on the front end. Thus easier to ride faster on the F.:)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did some experimenting with the stock windscreen. I tried it stock position, with 1/2" spacers under the top mounting holes, and with no screen. I'm about 6'2" tall.

With the spacers, it didn't seem like the screen blocked any wind from the helmet - the wind hit at the bottom of the helmet, about the same as with stock. With the spacers it also seemed like there was more wind noise.

Without any screen it was all nice and smooth - no turbulence or buffeting and actually a little quieter than with the screen, at least at reasonable speeds. At higher speeds you really had to hang on, though, which would be tiring for any length of time. I decided of these three options, the screen as mounted from the factory was the best all-around for me.

My thinking (at least at this moment, next ride, who knows?) is that to get much better than stock you would need to get most all the wind off the helmet (like the Givi Airflow on my DL1000). I believe this would require a ridiculously large screen for this bike, which would look goofy and likely negatively impact handling.

If anyone has recommendations for better aftermarket screens I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just bought the faired model this afternoon! The stock screen does block wind to the torso, but still get a lot to the helmet. At least it is clean air, not much buffeting. Though I could see myself experimenting with a different screen someday, like maybe the MRA Touring mentioned above. Thanks to all for the input.
Nice choice!! I've been in a crappy mood all day and just got really excited and happy for you. This bike is.freaking.amazing. I like naked bikes but appreciate the little bit of protection on longer trips. When you get up over 100mph and tuck behind the fairing you'll appreciate it very much.

Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
...and for the record, I changed the stock screen but am going back to it. I'm 5'10 and the stock screen dumps air just below my helmet. With good ear protection (3M 1100 disposable) I don't mind it at all. With poor ear protection (ie Harbor Freight junk) I thought it was noisy. The stock screen looks pretty bad-ass.

That said, if you really want a custom Power Bronze screen (their standard screen but totally clear w/o the GSX-S logo), I'm going to be selling mine after I get a chance to clean it off. It looks really good and you don't have to duck as much to get behind it. However I got in the bad habit of spending a ton of time at high speeds and think the smaller fairing is better served for that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...and for the record, I changed the stock screen but am going back to it. I'm 5'10 and the stock screen dumps air just below my helmet. With good ear protection (3M 1100 disposable) I don't mind it at all. With poor ear protection (ie Harbor Freight junk) I thought it was noisy. The stock screen looks pretty bad-ass.

That said, if you really want a custom Power Bronze screen (their standard screen but totally clear w/o the GSX-S logo), I'm going to be selling mine after I get a chance to clean it off. It looks really good and you don't have to duck as much to get behind it. However I got in the bad habit of spending a ton of time at high speeds and think the smaller fairing is better served for that.
For now I'm sticking with the stock screen, it works well enough. I appreciate the ear plug recommendation. I've not been happy with what I've used...cheap disposable and some nicer ones with little handles, but they stick out too far and interfere with the helmet.

Do you re-use those earplugs or once and toss?

·
Registered
379 Posts
For now I'm sticking with the stock screen, it works well enough. I appreciate the ear plug recommendation. I've not been happy with what I've used...cheap disposable and some nicer ones with little handles, but they stick out too far and interfere with the helmet.

Do you re-use those earplugs or once and toss?
I use them until they get dirty. They seem to pick up dirt rather easily (or maybe it's 'pocket lint', lol). If my body had half the energy of my brain I'd find a little tin or pill box and keep them in it, and they'd last a lot longer.

The 3M 1100s are just disposable orange foam plugs. But, the WORK, much better than what I was using before. I think I can still hear what I need to - I haven't had any surprises due to lack of hearing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts