GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just ordered a bunch of those 3M plugs off ebay. I've got to start using them on every ride with this bike as when I don't my ears are ringing for a while afterwards. It isn't such a big deal on the V-strom with a Givi Airflow screen; I can go full bore with the face shield up and much less wind noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The wee 3M plugs can be washed... I use baby shampoo in a cup of warm water and just treat them like small sponges for a few minutes then leave them for an hour.... then just air dry them.
Works fine for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im 5'10 with a 32inch inseam and for me the stock windscreen forced air straight into neck and helmet so i swapped it out with the MRA race screen. Air flow is better now. Here's a few comparison shots between the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get an Ermax Touring screen. Won't hold up for long at top speed... It folded on me at about 150 ish mph and eventually cracked at the bend.

Maybe I should have known better as it was a touring screen? Either way, i regret every penny spent on that purchase.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get an Ermax Touring screen. Won't hold up for long at top speed... It folded on me at about 150 ish mph and eventually cracked at the bend.

Maybe I should have known better as it was a touring screen? Either way, i regret every penny spent on that purchase.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
I'd contact Ermax (if you already havent) and try to get a refund or replacement.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Im 5'10 with a 32inch inseam and for me the stock windscreen forced air straight into neck and helmet so i swapped it out with the MRA race screen. Air flow is better now. Here's a few comparison shots between the two.
The second two pics look like two different screens? Is there a tinted stock screen?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you only ride in the city, get naked.. if you ride on the highway, get F. Or if you do both get the F. And change the screen especially if you are taller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did some experimenting with the stock windscreen. I tried it stock position, with 1/2" spacers under the top mounting holes, and with no screen. I'm about 6'2" tall.

With the spacers, it didn't seem like the screen blocked any wind from the helmet - the wind hit at the bottom of the helmet, about the same as with stock. With the
spacers it also seemed like there was more wind noise.

Without any screen it was all nice and smooth - no turbulence or buffeting and actually a little quieter than with the screen, at least at reasonable speeds. At higher speeds you really had to hang on, though, which would be tiring for any length of time. I decided of these three options, the screen as mounted from the factory was the best all-around for me.

My thinking (at least at this moment, next ride, who knows?) is that to get much better than stock you would need to get most all the wind off the helmet (like the Givi Airflow on my DL1000). I believe this would require a ridiculously large screen for this bike, which would look goofy and likely negatively impact handling.

If anyone has recommendations for better aftermarket screens I would love to hear them.

Get the powerbronze airflow screen (double bubble). At faster speeds it forces the air up higher and looks the best

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Get the powerbronze airflow screen (double bubble). At faster speeds it forces the air up higher and looks the best
Is this the one you are referring to? Does it increase noise or buffeting over stock? I've tried stock for a while, but frequently come back from a ride with a headache. Earplugs help but the stock seems to shoot the wind right at the bottom of the helmet creating some pressure and noise issues.

Powerbronze USA - Search Product

-

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this the one you are referring to? Does it increase noise or buffeting over stock? I've tried stock for a while, but frequently come back from a ride with a headache. Earplugs help but the stock seems to shoot the wind right at the bottom of the helmet creating some pressure and noise issues.

Powerbronze USA - Search Product

-

Yes thats it. No screen will flow air over the top of your head sitting upright. Change your screen and upgrade your helmet. Sounds like You need a better hemet ($300-600). And make sure it has a chin skirt.... The faster you go, the lower you need to tuck down on the highway

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm just hoping to get the air up a little higher off the bottom of the helmet. Doesn't help that I'm 6'2". Don't have the best helmet (paid $300 or so a couple years ago) but it does have a chin skirt, which I'm sure helps some. Going to start with this screen as it is more reasonably priced than some.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just hoping to get the air up a little higher off the bottom of the helmet. Doesn't help that I'm 6'2". Don't have the best helmet (paid $300 or so a couple years ago) but it does have a chin skirt, which I'm sure helps some. Going to start with this screen as it is more reasonably priced than some.

Ok. I know what you mean. I'm 6' 4

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I got 1 can't see or feel any difference
You mean from the stock screen? Does it look and fit the same?
I'm curious, because I like the look of the smoke screen better than the stock clear screen.
I'm ok with the stock coverage (but I wouldn't want less).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got 1 can't see or feel any difference
You mean from the stock screen? Does it look and fit the same?
I'm curious, because I like the look of the smoke screen better than the stock clear screen.
I'm ok with the stock coverage (but I wouldn't want less).
The cheap ebay screen looks nice but windblast doesnt change compared to stock. Powerbronze will put wind up a few inches higher

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also got one from aliexpress. since it is the same fit, i don't see how it could improve anything except the look.

I do not know if this is the right palce to ask this question but has anyone managed to reuse the OEM rubber standoff inside" the cavities of the windscreen? I mean, in order, when you uninstall the windscreen, there is the screw, a washer, then the rubber of the standoff. When the 4 screws are removed, you pull the windscreen and the rubber passes through the holes. I can not believe I have to remove all the fairings to successfully put back the rubber standoff "inside" the cavities of the windscreen ...

I must not be the only one to have experienced this?

Currently, I only reinstalled the windscreen over but I would have liked to re-install it in the same way as the manufacturer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I also got one from aliexpress. since it is the same fit, i don't see how it could improve anything except the look.

I do not know if this is the right palce to ask this question but has anyone managed to reuse the OEM rubber standoff inside" the cavities of the windscreen? I mean, in order, when you uninstall the windscreen, there is the screw, a washer, then the rubber of the standoff. When the 4 screws are removed, you pull the windscreen and the rubber passes through the holes. I can not believe I have to remove all the fairings to successfully put back the rubber standoff "inside" the cavities of the windscreen ...

I must not be the only one to have experienced this?

Currently, I only reinstalled the windscreen over but I would have liked to re-install it in the same way as the manufacturer.
You must be talking about the well nuts - a rubber bushing with an M5 nut inside. When you tighten it down it clamps down the rubber on the back. Those just push in from the front, no need to work from the back. If they push through to the inside, they can go places where they're difficult to retrieve. Might just be easier to get new ones than to have to remove fairings, but that's your call. Many hardware stores have them, but maybe not in metric. Do an ebay search for "motorcycle screen well nuts".

If this is not what you mean, then I'm lost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You must be talking about the well nuts - a rubber bushing with an M5 nut inside. When you tighten it down it clamps down the rubber on the back. Those just push in from the front, no need to work from the back. If they push through to the inside, they can go places where they're difficult to retrieve. Might just be easier to get new ones than to have to remove fairings, but that's your call. Many hardware stores have them, but maybe not in metric. Do an ebay search for "motorcycle screen well nuts".

If this is not what you mean, then I'm lost.
Yes it is very similar to that but it seems that those of my GSXS also have a big internal part which prevents me from pulling them off. I put a link to a drawing i made just to make sure I explained myself well. I tried several methods to put the rubber trim inside the holes of the windsreen without success.

The windscreen still seems solid and I think it is nevertheless waterproof since the well nuts is still present?

https://ibb.co/hX12La

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also found this picture that shows the back of the front of the bike and we see very well that it is not possible to pull the stock well nuts from the front given the size of these.

https://ibb.co/fZKa6F

Sorry again to have deviated the post to another question. In the end, I find the look better with a slightly smoky windscreen. Moreover, the 2018 come stock with it :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts