GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh now I just feel a bit retarded... I just pull harder and they came out. What I thought was rubber on the picture is in fact plastic. This is exactly a standard well nuts...
Well, guess i'll have to find another reason to take those fairings outs ;-)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes it is very similar to that but it seems that those of my GSXS also have a big internal part which prevents me from pulling them off. I put a link to a drawing i made just to make sure I explained myself well. I tried several methods to put the rubber trim inside the holes of the windsreen without success.

The windscreen still seems solid and I think it is nevertheless waterproof since the well nuts is still present?

https://ibb.co/hX12La
Glad you figured out the nut situation. However, the first drawing (from the factory) in your picture is not how my screen was...mine was just as your second drawing where the screen protrusions sit on top of the well nuts, just like my other screens on the V-stroms. It is interesting, though, that on the Suzuki parts fiche it shows the well nut going in from the front of the screen, similar to how you drew it. Can't imagine this is something that would be engineered differently for different markets.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I installed the Powerbronze Airflow screen. For me it is much better than stock. Of course, I still get air to the helmet, but it is pretty clean air. Still get wind noise but not the buffeting and pressure changes at the bottom of the helmet. This is easily fixed with the earplugs. I can tuck in behind it at higher speeds and be completely out of the wind.

I did shim out the top spacers about 3mm, I guess just for kicks. I might try removing these to see if there's any effect. It was interesting that there seemed to be some turbulent air at the top of my chest - if I ducked my head slightly I had that turbulence at the bottom of the helmet again. So be aware if you're not my height (6'2") and torso length (normal?) you may have different results.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these cheap ebay screens?
Curious as to fit, height compared to stock, etc...
Cheap ebay wind screen for GSX-S1000F
Well, I ordered one of these and it arrived today. It looks like a very good replica of the stock shield except in a light smoke, and has a slightly curved outward / bubble area in the center.
I put it on today and it fit perfectly. I don't expect any better protection from it and I'm happy with stock coverage. I've lived with buffeting on a couple of my other bikes to get pulled into that vortex again. I like the tint better than the clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks good, Mike. Is that one of the screens from eBay? I like that it resembles the stock shape, but at least makes an attempt at a double bubble shape.

I've been OK with stock coverage too - once I started using ear plugs that actually work (3M).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Looks good, Mike. Is that one of the screens from eBay? I like that it resembles the stock shape, but at least makes an attempt at a double bubble shape.

I've been OK with stock coverage too - once I started using ear plugs that actually work (3M).
Yes Joe, I got it from this seller. It says it ships from China, but mine arrived from California, but did take 2 weeks (minus one day).
I haven't ridden with it yet, but I can't imagine it being much different from stock. If it is, I'll definitely update with my experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed the Powerbronze Airflow screen. For me it is much better than stock. Of course, I still get air to the helmet, but it is pretty clean air. Still get wind noise but not the buffeting and pressure changes at the bottom of the helmet. This is easily fixed with the earplugs. I can tuck in behind it at higher speeds and be completely out of the wind.

I did shim out the top spacers about 3mm, I guess just for kicks. I might try removing these to see if there's any effect. It was interesting that there seemed to be some turbulent air at the top of my chest - if I ducked my head slightly I had that turbulence at the bottom of the helmet again. So be aware if you're not my height (6'2") and torso length (normal?) you may have different results.
What was the difference without the shim? What did you shim them with?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
What was the difference without the shim? What did you shim them with?
I bought some rubber washers for shimming out and a couple of different shorter length spacers at the hardware store. I tried various combinations...top shimmed; bottom with shorter; top with shorter. The bottom line is the angle of the screen didn't seem to make much difference. I think at least some of the turbulent air must be coming around the sides of the screen. The only real difference I noticed was with lower bolts on shorter spacers (steeper angle) it was better to tuck down behind, but I don't do that very often. I now have it back to the standard spacers that were included with the screen. As long as I sit up straight, or tuck down it's fine; anything in between I get turbulence.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mostly commute on the highway, so for me the F model was the only option. I rode a naked bike for 2 years and hated every second being on the highway with it. If you want to arrive with a sore neck and fight the wind every time you ride, get a naked. I'm 6'1 and keeping the stock screen
I do a fair amount of freeway commuting, and while it is much more wind than a fully faired bike, you get used to it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I removed the Powerbronze screen and went back to the stock screen. I actually get less noise in the helmet with stock. I ordered an Ermax screen and it is on backorder so I'll try that when it gets here and give a report.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GIVI windscreen on GSX-S1000F

For me, the Givi is a huge improvement over the stock screen. Nice still air pocket and 6 inches taller. I bought my F model in January and have 4,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I removed the Powerbronze screen and went back to the stock screen. I actually get less noise in the helmet with stock. I ordered an Ermax screen and it is on backorder so I'll try that when it gets here and give a report.
I was thinking about changing the stock secreen with MRA or Ermax screens, still haven't decided yet.

Some say reaaly big imprıvement some say the noise.

Waitng your commnet for my decision. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
https://instagram.com/p/BKXtrOFDMQq/

I used an ermax touring screen. Instantly noticed an overall improvement at 110-120 km/h highway speeds.
And the other improvements, buffeting,noise and etc. ?

What about higher speeds? Over 240 km/h speeds my helmet tries to rip my head off>:D. Maybe it's because of my helmet it does the same thing on my VFR too.

A little bit explanation for highway cruising speeds will be really helpfull. :|

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I was thinking about changing the stock secreen with MRA or Ermax screens, still haven't decided yet.

Some say reaaly big imprıvement some say the noise.

Waitng your commnet for my decision. :)
What is interesting is when I put the Powerbronze on, I wrote that it was an improvement over stock, now I think just the opposite. I guess it takes more than one ride to really make a judgement...need to try it out on different rides and under different conditions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Genuine Suzuki GSX-S1000/A/FA Taller Wind Screen Visor Set Faired Windshield | eBay

I have this as standard on my Tour version. it lifts the screen quite a lot, and at 150mph I can still sit upright, its a bit noisy and some buffeting, but the little ramp thing makes a difference, getting the screen on and off is a right pain as you need to build it up completely with the wellnuts lightly attatched, then slide the hole thing with wellnuts into their holes. It took me several days and a few friends helping to figure out how to put the screen back on.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Genuine Suzuki GSX-S1000/A/FA Taller Wind Screen Visor Set Faired Windshield | eBay

I have this as standard on my Tour version. it lifts the screen quite a lot, and at 150mph I can still sit upright, its a bit noisy and some buffeting, but the little ramp thing makes a difference, getting the screen on and off is a right pain as you need to build it up completely with the wellnuts lightly attatched, then slide the hole thing with wellnuts into their holes. It took me several days and a few friends helping to figure out how to put the screen back on.
Did you try it without removing the well nuts? I never remove them to change the screen - on other Suzuki bikes they were a dickens to get out and in. If there are washers and/or spacers between the screen and bike, I work with either the top or bottom screws since I can't hold all four at the same time. I put in the screws and hold the spacers, then push the screws into the nuts, maybe tightening a turn or two so they don't fall out. Then tilt the screen and do the other two. With a T-handle hex wrench it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I added a Puig windscreen to my naked and have no problem cruising on the highway. For a small screen it really reduces wind pressure and there is no buffeting, just clean air. In fact I have had more wind buffeting problems on my FJR and Vstrom. In my experience bigger wind screens do not always me a quieter/calmer ride.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts