GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I've been riding BMW G310R before GSXS and did no chain adjustments for 5.500kms.
Seems GSXS requires more frequent service for the chain. Could you share experience how often do to tensioning and how much chain gets loosen?

·
Registered
369 Posts
4.000 kms and no chain adjustments till now.
Maybe is good to mention it, I have installed an XSystem from Scottoiler on my bike.
Me and my chain we have a very happy and long life together now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just did my 2nd chain tension after about 5,000 miles. Only needed 2 flats rotation to bring it back to spec.

I also use a Scottoiler and never used to adust chain that much before on other bikes and so I will swap away from an OEM chain when I eventually need to replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4.000 kms and no chain adjustments till now.
Maybe is good to mention it, I have installed an XSystem from Scottoiler on my bike.
Me and my chain we have a very happy and long life now.
Could you show how it fits on a bike, please?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve only got 2000 kilometres on my bike, and adjusted the chain at 1000 K. The chain already has tight spots which I don’t believe should be on a chain with such low mileage. I had the same problem on another bike and I tried loosening the chain, lubricating the tight spot areas, and manually twisting the links. It helped to lessen the tight spots. Guess I’ll have to do it again, but it can wait until next season.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no standard recipe. User your judgement. I ogle the bike before any ride (oil level, tire pressure, coolant and chain tension) and adjust when you see it's not right - not really that labor intensive :)

I am at ~11,000km and my chain and sprockets look and feel like great, almost like new. Frequent maintenance and quality of lube is essential.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Scottoiler is the way to go. The electric version seems to provide much more consistent oiling. It better for the price!
Probably 1500 miles, no adjustments yet.
Your chain will probably last longer keeping it too loose than too tight. IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once a month for adjustments and deep clean, once a week for cleaning and lubing. So every 1200 or so miles on adjustments. I run my chain on the tighter end of the specs and ride aggressively. Weekly cleaning is done with Motul cleaner, microfiber, and Motul road lube. The factory line is great when it's dry but too tacky for the sandy, rainy weather here. I scrub the chain with WD40 or PB for the deep clean and use a chain alignment tool. The actual adjustment is insignificant usually, a half turn at most. The chain slack itself I only ever set when I change my tire, seems to stay set well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 5k miles on mine and haven't adjusted it yet because its still in spec. I cleaned it for the first time at about 4k miles and it was very very dirty. Really depends on how much you are getting on it. I check mine once a month if I remember to. I recommend cleaning your chain every 1000 miles or so depending on your riding condition but the manual says to about every 600 miles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think 600 miles is overkill unless you're riding on dirt roads. I've been cleaning mine every 3rd or 4th lubing, and my chain/sproket look good with 50,000 kms on the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think 600 miles is overkill unless you're riding on dirt roads. I've been cleaning mine every 3rd or 4th lubing, and my chain/sproket look good with 50,000 kms on the bike.
wow wow wow, 50 kkms is a long way. How many times you replaced the chain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the bike's throttle response at low speeds as a gauge. The GSX-S is already a bit twitchy, but with a steady hand you can make it as smooth as you want. Loose chain makes things worse, so when I feel that it jerks more than usual, I adjust the chain. Either that or when I find out it's out of spec during oiling. First adjustment was at 3000 miles, next one at 4500 just because I busted my rear tire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The manual says depending on riding conditions for the 600 mile cleaning, that does seem a little excessive. I have cleaned my chain twice and I got my bike at 2800 miles. Whoever had it before me didnt clean it at all. A thousand miles between chain cleanings seems to be just right for me, I use about a 1/4 of a can of cleaner. The 1st time I cleaned it I used a whole can of cleaner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts