GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you looking for a guide on how to clean your bike properly, the below will really help you. Included is an action list to make things easier to follow:

·
Registered
204 Posts
wire brush ??? really this can damage the o ring seals a normal stiff brush would work just as well and avoid damage. From time to time I also use wd40 as a cleaner to remove built up chain lube and grit before adding fresh chain lube. i also do this right after the initial rinse as it sprays grease and much everywhere and would need cleaning all over again if done last.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't mean to be rude to you 999 but that video for me is how not to do it.
Pressure washer on bikes is a big no no for me. And yeah, wire brush?! I've just literally bought 5 chain brushes from china for less than £12.

·
Registered
204 Posts
it did say a hosepipe would work "i use a dispersed spray from a standard hosepipe to rince and add water before i wash to try and remove larger bits that could scratch

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't even use water. Leaf blower, detailing spray and wax for me.
If I have a few stubborn flies then I use a damp towel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
OK. I have been detailing nice stuff for a while and learned a few harsh lessons along the way. Here is the seceret to sticky gooey stuff. Goo Gone Automotive. Strongest clear coat safe solvent out there. Works awesome. Chain lube, bugs, and road grime do not stand a chance. Second seceret. Meguiars Speed Glaze. Most agressive hand paint cleaner out there. Takes out minor swirls like nobodys business and almost impossible to mess up. Vinyl cleaner for seat and tires. The rest is easy. Detailing spray/cleaner. No water ever!

So this order:

Automotive Goo Gone the nasty stuff.
Detail spray the whole bike. (Top Down)
Vinyl cleaner on seat and tires.
Speed Glaze paint lightly if already nice. Buff away if swirly.
Favorite "Wax" / Sealer if you like.
And if you want over the top use Meguiars "Final Touch" on the paint. It will blow your mind shinny.

Took me 10 years to find this formula and have had cars in shows that people compliment all the time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
OK. I have been detailing nice stuff for a while and learned a few harsh lessons along the way. Here is the seceret to sticky gooey stuff. Goo Gone Automotive. Strongest clear coat safe solvent out there. Works awesome. Chain lube, bugs, and road grime do not stand a chance. Second seceret. Meguiars Speed Glaze. Most agressive hand paint cleaner out there. Takes out minor swirls like nobodys business and almost impossible to mess up. Vinyl cleaner for seat and tires. The rest is easy. Detailing spray/cleaner. No water ever!

So this order:

Automotive Goo Gone the nasty stuff.
Detail spray the whole bike. (Top Down)
Vinyl cleaner on seat and tires.
Speed Glaze paint lightly if already nice. Buff away if swirly.
Favorite "Wax" / Sealer if you like.
And if you want over the top use Meguiars "Final Touch" on the paint. It will blow your mind shinny.

Took me 10 years to find this formula and have had cars in shows that people compliment all the time.
If you're particular about your headers try stove cleaner. Works a treat.
I'm going to try that combo. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I heard about that tip from some automotive communities, and with that being said, seeing what else those car guys do might provide some more direction on what else you can do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Think the secret is with chain-lube is use little and often, this way it doesn't go all over the bike after a ride. You may still get the odd bit on wheel but easy to clean off with WD 40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts