GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no pics (sorry) but can give you steps it you want to remove it..i highly recommend a servo bypass in it place cause putting it back would stink.

Most of your work will be on chain side of bike..

1)get some furnace tape or painters tape and put it on spring so not to scratch it cause its tight.

2)there is a V bracket it is bolted to..there are 2 6mm bolts one on each side of bike..remove those to get it off frame.

3)Now put a rag or piece of tape on swing arm by chain and reach in a pull off GRAY tab holding wire to bolt,then cut ziptie on frame and disconnect by battery.(you may need screw drive to pry off gray tab)

4) Now swing it around and use the shortes 10mm wrench and remove the 2 bolts holding it to bracket you removed from frame..And pull out V bracket..

5) Now take screw driver and pop tab holding cables (make sure there off exhaust 1st) remove cables and pull threw bottom of bike.

6) take a 7mm 1/4 in drive on a t handle and remove cable pull from motor give it a quick twist to get bolt loose or motor will spin..

7)OK almost done..now flip motor so that cable ears on motor facing you..it gonna be tight now remove tape from swing arm and put some dish soap (yes dish soap)on swingarm so plastic will slide and it will feel tight give it a good pull and it will pull out....Now take a break come back clean up.

this is how i did it and scratch nothing and was a clean removal..just take your time and as you read you see what i did as you work on getting it out..My m4 exhaust came with a lever for the motor...No way i was putting it back in so i got the bypass...hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought there were some improvements with the exhaust standards

for example aprilia rsv4 without valve work better

·
Registered
299 Posts
I installed a Yoshimura GSXR carbon pipe on my bike and cut out the CAT myself and welded a mid-pipe in it's place. I reinstalled the valve. Everyone has their own opinion of what the valve does and mine is that it is for low end torque and I wanted to keep the around-town punch with no need for Power Commander. The bike runs completely smooth in 1st gear through traffic and I believe it's because of the back pressure produced by the valve being closed at low speeds. Again, everyone has a different opinion of what the valve does. Many think it's for DB reasons only. I personally don't believe that.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed a Yoshimura GSXR carbon pipe on my bike and cut out the CAT myself and welded a mid-pipe in it's place. I reinstalled the valve. Everyone has their own opinion of what the valve does and mine is that it is for low end torque and I wanted to keep the around-town punch with no need for Power Commander. The bike runs completely smooth in 1st gear through traffic and I believe it's because of the back pressure produced by the valve being closed at low speeds. Again, everyone has a different opinion of what the valve does. Many think it's for DB reasons only. I personally don't believe that.
Well, I was looking for that info on some graph, and I found one showing that the low end torque doesn't change without the SET. I'm not criticizing your opinion, In fact I used to believe the same until this was shown to me.

Btw, how is the sound?

regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
The chart doesn't show responsiveness. Just like people who race with dyno charts. The bike with the least weight and the most horsepower doesn't automatically win the race. There is so much more to it than what a graph shows.

But, I'm not a professional by any means. And I didn't do my mod so I could keep the valve. I did it because it was 300 bucks for the pipe and then just some time on my part. All I really wanted was to take off that huge gigantic enormous garbage can under my bike. That was the real goal.

It sounds great, just like any other Yoshimura exhaust. If I were going to put a full system and Power Commander on, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to throw the valve in the garbage :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the best linearity of the power curve is due to the increased length of the yoshimura exhaust, I'm thinking how to stretch the original exhaust

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok.. ive just removed the servo motor and cables thanks to this post.
Took all of about an hour a little tight in there though. Saves a bit more weight than you would think.
Anyway i want to fit the Healtech servo eliminator to extinguish the F1 light.
There are 2x electrical plugs left over from the disconnected servo motor which i presume are now re-connected to the Healtech servo eliminator. Problem is Healtech show their elminator for the Gsxs with 1x plug.
Can anyone who has fitted the Healtech eliminator shed some light on this.....Part numbers? Please.....cheers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not sure why there would be varying opinions about what the exhaust valve is for. On page 1K-1 of the Service Manual, it states "This system is designed to improve the engine torque at low engine speed". Pretty clear to me. Now, the question becomes, what happens to the low speed torque when a "full exhaust" system is installed?

Also, if you choose to install a full exhaust system and thereby eliminate the exhaust valve, couldn't you simply leave the "set valve motor" in place and remove the cables from it? Doing so would eliminate the need for a "servo eliminator". For what it's worth, the service manual refers to the two components that are the subject of this thread as the EXCV (exhaust valve) and the EXCVA (exhaust valve actuator). I'm not sure where the terms "set valve" and "set valve motor" originated but it confused me until I read the service manual.

Thanks to EagleGSXS for starting this excellent thread and his great instructions for removing the EXCVA.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok.. ive just removed the servo motor and cables thanks to this post.
Took all of about an hour a little tight in there though. Saves a bit more weight than you would think.
Anyway i want to fit the Healtech servo eliminator to extinguish the F1 light.
There are 2x electrical plugs left over from the disconnected servo motor which i presume are now re-connected to the Healtech servo eliminator. Problem is Healtech show their elminator for the Gsxs with 1x plug.
Can anyone who has fitted the Healtech eliminator shed some light on this.....Part numbers? Please.....cheers.
Which picture?
There are only "generic" product picture in case there are no specific installation guide.
It is the same partnumber for many Suzuki models, in this case ESE-S01.
Same as for the B-King.
This has *two* connectors coming from the little "black box" containing the firmware/"chip" that tells the ECU that everything is OK. >:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts