GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've been on this forum and wanted to get some feedback on this bike since it's been out for some time and wanted to get your thoughts on it so far. How's it been holding up, any problems so far etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problems with mine here in Perth WA. However, it's about to become a commuter bike doing 170Ks per day so I'll let everyone know how it goes with tyres and if anything breaks or becomes worn in the rain etc. I think it will tick along nicely to be honest, it seems like a pretty bulletproof bike so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have done 9000kms so far on the bike(F version) no issues so far, seems to get better with age.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No problems with mine here in Perth WA. However, it's about to become a commuter bike doing 170Ks per day so I'll let everyone know how it goes with tyres and if anything breaks or becomes worn in the rain etc. I think it will tick along nicely to be honest, it seems like a pretty bulletproof bike so far.

What is your mileage at now Jimmy?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi mate, The bike is at just over 4K and it's time for new tyres but apart from that it's not missed a beat and neither should it, it's only 4 months old.
The mileage will go up drastically from May when I start having to go to work every day and not just once a fortnight!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ABS version really necessary because i found a really good price on a used GSX-S1000 non-abs for $8900 OTD with under 1,000 miles on the odo?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver and weekend fun machine. Daily commute is only 5km each way though. Still, I have clocked up 8200 km in 4 months. Only issues I have had are: 1) plugs on the clutch switch fell out. easy fixed. 2) dealer didn't tighten sump plug at the 1000km service so it leaked oil everywhere. also easily fixed.

I hated the mirrors so just got rid of them, not sure if that counts as an issue or not. Also I desperately need that protection film, I am starting to damage the paint on the back of the tank as I'm a fatty

Other than that, it's been absolutely amazing. Loosened up at about 7000km, it now feels like a completely different bike. I adjusted some of the slack out of the throttle and now have no problem at all with the infamous snatchy throttle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the ABS version really necessary because i found a really good price on a used GSX-S1000 non-abs for $8900 OTD with under 1,000 miles on the odo?
Why would you even consider a non-ABS one? I locked mine up the other day when a kid ran out in front of me and if I didn't have ABS I'd have crashed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Of course it is... if you like to stop. The fact that ABS stops you in significantly shorter distances is unarguable. I hear some rant against it and they all sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd pick ABS all day every day if given the choice. ABS saved me from a slide down the road on a test ride of a Z1 recently, I was sold on it after that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had a lot of different bikes so I can fairly say that I'm well suited to judge. I think, and minds do change, that the GSXS is a keeper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mine clunks too and I have 12k miles on mine .What do you suspect it is?
Intend to investigate this when I change my tyre as nohing appears to be about to fall off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
my brakes have started to clunk too and I have covered 12k miles (19000kmapprox). Any ideas as I will be checking mine when I change my tyre this week?
I have found a similar problem on older vehicals which is attributable to exess movement of the brake pads in their housing,but nevr aftee only 12k miles?

·
Registered
276 Posts
my brakes have started to clunk too and I have covered 12k miles (19000kmapprox). Any ideas as I will be checking mine when I change my tyre this week?
I have found a similar problem on older vehicals which is attributable to exess movement of the brake pads in their housing,but nevr aftee only 12k miles?
I've been told its because we have floating discs. This is a possible answer but I can't find any movement in the discs so I think it's probably the pads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been told its because we have floating discs. This is a possible answer but I can't find any movement in the discs so I think it's probably the pads.
Unless the force required to rotate the disk rotor is such that by hand we are unable to produce a movement? In the past however I have never had sufficient movement between disc and rotor until considerable mileage has been covered and even then have never heard a noticeable clunk.
Jut hope it inst wear in those Chinese produced brake calipers?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unless the force required to rotate the disk rotor is such that by hand we are unable to produce a movement? In the past however I have never had sufficient movement between disc and rotor until considerable mileage has been covered and even then have never heard a noticeable clunk.
Jut hope it inst wear in those Chinese produced brake calipers?
I was told if you get a person to hold the brakes on and push the front up and down fairly vigorously, with your hand on the rotor you should be able to feel it move. I can't.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts