GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody wanted to get some feedback on this bike since it's been available in the UK for awhile and not yet in the states. I will be buying my next bike this coming April during tax season and had some bikes I was looking at, i'm buying a super naked and the bikes I looked at were the Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki Z1000 and the GSXR-750(i know it's not a naked). I eventually crossed those bikes off my list, now I'm considering the GSX-S1000 or a new Triumph Speed Triple. I heard some rumors that the GSX-S1000 is actually putting out more hp than the claimed 145hp at the crank, has anybody dyno'd their bikes or can confirm this, I guess one of the engineers from Suzuki let slip about what the hp numbers really are. So now I get to choose between the venerable Speed Triple or the new kid on the block Suzuki GSX-S1000, what to pick I wonder. Your feedback is much appreciated:D

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,458 Posts
Hi Rhyno54 and welcome.
It is 145 hp at the rear wheel. According to several reports I have seen it may be 150+ at the crank.
I am very satisfied with my naked version, it ticks all the boxes for me.
Reviewers complain about a snatchy throttle. I guess it's a combination of a fast throttle response and strong engine braking. I would not mind a slightly less abrupt response but hey, it all adds to the fun and it is no problem for me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Rhyno.
I'm never going to sell my bike ever. I've waited 20 years for the right bike for me and this is it. It's just so much fun and does everything really well.
There are a couple of things I'm changing but that's more of a personal taste thing but out the box it's [email protected] near perfect. Just an aside regarding your two choices I reckon you will be better off getting the fancy street triple and saving yourself a few $ along the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey everybody wanted to get some feedback on this bike since it's been available in the UK for awhile and not yet in the states. I will be buying my next bike this coming April during tax season and had some bikes I was looking at, i'm buying a super naked and the bikes I looked at were the Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki Z1000 and the GSXR-750(i know it's not a naked). I eventually crossed those bikes off my list, now I'm considering the GSX-S1000 or a new Triumph Speed Triple. I heard some rumors that the GSX-S1000 is actually putting out more hp than the claimed 145hp at the crank, has anybody dyno'd their bikes or can confirm this, I guess one of the engineers from Suzuki let slip about what the hp numbers really are. So now I get to choose between the venerable Speed Triple or the new kid on the block Suzuki GSX-S1000, what to pick I wonder. Your feedback is much appreciated:D
I had a 2013 speed triple before the gsx s 1000,The gsx is afar better machine in ever respect.the Suzuki feels far more powerfull than the triumph.My missis still has her speed triple,when we have swapped bikes I cant get her to give me my Suzuki back she likes it so much.She is also going to change to the Suzuki.Throttle is sensitive not snatchy

·
Registered
593 Posts
The throttle is the only negative so far for me. Weird because I didn't have any issues with the demo bike, but mine is very sensitive / snatchy. Low speed approaching a roundabout in second, if you accidentally breath on the throttle it'll surge forward and throw you backwards before the opposite happens when you hastily close the throttle. Yes it's controllable, but you have to be aware of it at all times if you want to be super smooth. In contrast, the S1000R that I test road had impeccable throttle response.

I have a quote from a local tuner for a custom map for the PCV when it gets released, but I'll need to get a few more miles on the clock before I decide if it really warrants the £££.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The throttle is the only negative so far for me. Weird because I didn't have any issues with the demo bike, but mine is very sensitive / snatchy. Low speed approaching a roundabout in second, if you accidentally breath on the throttle it'll surge forward and throw you backwards before the opposite happens when you hastily close the throttle. Yes it's controllable, but you have to be aware of it at all times if you want to be super smooth. In contrast, the S1000R that I test road had impeccable throttle response.

I have a quote from a local tuner for a custom map for the PCV when it gets released, but I'll need to get a few more miles on the clock before I decide if it really warrants the £££.
A good ECU flash should take care of your issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts

In contrast I had a bit of a problem with the throttle snatching on the demo bike but after picking my one up yesterday and doing 150 miles on it there didn't seem anywhere near as bad as I remembered.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So tricky your saying that the Gsx-S1000 has just as good if not better fit finish than the Speed Triple. Just thought that it wouldn't be as refined as the Speed Triple considering the price tag, but that's good to know. I know the Gixxus has got to be a bargain at $9999.00 for non ABS, cuz my budget is 10 grand. Here in the states they still have 13 and 14 Speed Triples on their lots for $8999.00-$9999.00, which are really good prices considering the Speeds regular asking price and that's with ABS. Is the extra $500 for ABS worth it though, I'm sure it is esp with that bike. But really that Suzuki must be a really good bike, if some people are saying it's better than the Speedy, and I know how proud the Brits are of their Speed Triple and how iconic it is. How long has it been available over there, didn't they release it at the beginning of the year cuz we won't get it until somewhere around October-November of this year.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A good ECU flash should take care of your issues.
Thanks, didn't think about this before so I've started to make enquiries about re flashing the ECU instead of the Power Commander V and custom map route.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, like others say the throttle is a bit on the sensitive side. I had a gsr600 before this beast and it had the same issue but worse, only way to rectify it I found was to fit a pc3 but having been used to the 600 this is not a problem.
One question I will ask though, does the gixxus have some sort of slipper clutch? its super smooth going down the box compared to the 600

·
Registered
647 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, like others say the throttle is a bit on the sensitive side. I had a gsr600 before this beast and it had the same issue but worse, only way to rectify it I found was to fit a pc3 but having been used to the 600 this is not a problem.
One question I will ask though, does the gixxus have some sort of slipper clutch? its super smooth going down the box compared to the 600
No slipper clutch but the box does seem quite strong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ive had mine since 3rd of june,2500 coverd,again its a mch nicer bike to ride than a speed triple my missis also does not like how much better on fuel the Suzuki is.When we swap bikes her triumph feels agriculutural

·
Registered
377 Posts
Copied from a web page - http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/2...d-gsx-s1000f-naked-motorcycles-review-photos/

Superbike roots:
The engine is based on the 2005 GSX-R1000 and therefore features a longer stroke than the current GSX-R1000 supersport for greater torque production in the low-to-mid rpm range. This engine has the same 44mm dual-throttle valve (SDTV) throttle bodies as the 2K5 GSX-R and the same ports and valve diameters, although the valves are now stainless steel rather than titanium. Cam profile and timing has been altered to optimize torque output
. The gearbox is straight out of the GSX-R but with a standard non-slipper clutch. Final gearing is shorter with two teeth added to the rear sprocket, while engine redline is set at 11,500 rpm (2,000 less than the GSX-R). Claimed peak output is said to be 145 horsepower at 10,000 rpm with 78.2 pound-feet of torque at 9,500 rpm, measured at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well I am 350 miles in and have to say this is definitely the bike I was waiting for. Even at running in rpm it has bags of grunt and when I may have gone beyond this (?) There is the unmistakable gsxr performance, only difference to my k3 is the fact the traction control dumps the front wheel down rather than having it right up there. Very happy indeed! :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know that the exchange rate on currency is different over in the UK as opposed to here in the US, I was curious what some of you have paid out the door on your Gixxus 1000's. Suzuki claims a MSRP OF $9999.00 for non ABS models was just curious what I can expect to pay once it hits the states, considering I have a have a budget and all. Also do you guys get charged freight and setup over there?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts