GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd known this engine was based on the K5-8 which has a hydraulic clutch, but hadn't really taken too close a look at ours. The other day, I decided to get in and clean the front sproket while I had the rear wheel off and plenty of chain slack. Noticed something I hadn't really bothered to think about: our clutch actuator is on the left side. Took off the sproket cover, and sure enough, a clutch pushrod. So, we're basically already set up for hydraulic. Has anyone looked at swapping a K5-8 system over? If I can find one on eBay cheap enough, and if no one has already ruled it out, I'll take a look at compatibility.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've not noticed although I can understand what you mean.

I had a clutch cable bike and that's all I knew. Then went to hydraulic and the feel was so nice. Lighter and more connected. Now back to cable for all the blah blah reasons. Save weight. Easier to replace when you go down on the track. But really it's manufacturers being cheap. Give us hydraulic back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, in just looking at pictures of the K5-8 sprocket covers, it looks like the right bolt pattern. The covers run about $50 and the slave cylinders about $30. So looking like ~$100 after shipping, just for a fit check, loss if it doesn't fit, and still missing the master half if it does fit. I've got a few road trips planned over the next couple of months, that are gonna eat into my maintenance budget for sure. So this may have to wait a bit, but it's looking promising.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't think of any great advantage as the cable operated clutch is light and works perfectly for me.
I basically started out with hydraulic clutch, first bike I had any significant miles on was an '86 Honda Interceptor. I much prefer the feel and sensitivity. Definitely a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very interesting subject indeed. ;)
I will keep an eye on this thread.

Hydraulic clutch is the best! :)
My old GSX650FA K9 has hydraulic clutch and all I can say is I'm missing it when I'm riding the S1000.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I find mine just fine, my Honda CB1000R has a hydraulic clutch and there's little between them in terms of feel. Less maintenance too on the Suzuki with no clutch fluid to replace. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I find mine just fine, my Honda CB1000R has a hydraulic clutch and there's little between them in terms of feel. Less maintenance too on the Suzuki with no clutch fluid to replace. :)

Came off of a cbr1000rr and the clutch felt so much nicer side by side.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This post makes me laugh.
I was a member on a SP (RC51) which has a hydraulic clutch. All the members talked about was converting it to a manual cable for better feel and more precise down shifting. Now I'm on here with a manual cable and were discussing changing it over to Hydraulic.
What's that say about the human race? Always want what we haven't got, maybe?:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just think it says that individuals will have a personal preference when options exist; and people don't usually bother to talk about changing things that already suit their preference.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
True
It just amuses me that when we had a hydraulic clutch all the arguments online were saying it was rubbish and cable was much better and now on here we are saying the cable is rubbish and hydraulic is better:laugh:

·
Registered
434 Posts
This post makes me laugh.

I was a member on a SP (RC51) which has a hydraulic clutch. All the members talked about was converting it to a manual cable for better feel and more precise down shifting. Now I'm on here with a manual cable and were discussing changing it over to Hydraulic.

You're right about that one big time. There's more than just the cable. It's the whole assembly, the clutch tension and so much more. I doubt if we change the cable to hydraulic it'll have the same butter smooth feel my old Cbr had. From every bike I rode the Cbrs clutch was my favorite.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I test rode all the latest nakeds before I saw this thread and honestly thought the gsx had the nicest clutch out of all of them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I made the conversion, it is easy, you have to exchange the clutch stopper from the gsx-s for a K7 K8 gsxr 1000 that is longer (Suzuki ref : 2311-24A01). To find you a K7 K8 sprocket cover and master clutch cylinder on the second hand market, be aware, two screws from the sprocket cover has to be changed. Finally you have to exchange the cable for an hydraulic AN3 140 cm pipe with a 90° banjo on the master cylinder side, and a side bended 27° piece to plug to the slave cylinder. You can also find you a reinforced gsxr one in specialized stores. The pipe has to follow the same way as the original cable ! Personnaly I also changed the lever and the oil tank originaly mounted on a CB1000R. It works perfect....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts