GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a hydraulic clutch conversion yet?. If so what process have you carried out. What was the donor slave from
Just a thought as I hear loads of stories about cables snapping etc

cheers
Hutchie

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
My cable has one strand broken at the casing end right at the nipple, its been like that for about 3 years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
preventive maintance and you will never have problem .bikes have been running with cable since invented , in my opinion theey have there flaws as well , if you get a leak , its just as bad as a cable snapping .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cable has one strand broken at the casing end right at the nipple, its been like that for about 3 years.
Maybe im reading into it too much or is it the fact that i see a few posts wehere people have changed to a different lever and that causes the issues?..........

·
Registered
793 Posts
I haven't heard of snapped clutch cables amongst my riding buddies. It is a wear component but you would rarely replace one

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
Maybe im reading into it too much or is it the fact that i see a few posts wehere people have changed to a different lever and that causes the issues?..........
I've had different levers on but my issue, if you can call it that, is at the other end.
Re hydraulic system if my B-King clutch was anything to go by I would prefer the cable. It was heavier and had less feel to my mind.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
When I was a teenager clutch cables used to snap all the time.
Mine is over five years olds on the Suzi and still has a smooth action with no signs of wear. I guess they are not so much of an issue these days.
As for changing it over to hydraulic ( i think i wrote this somewhere else as well) When hydraulic came out people were looking into conversions to get them back to cables because there was a better feel. Now we have cable...???
Guess people always want what they haven't got:giggle:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had different levers on but my issue, if you can call it that, is at the other end.
Re hydraulic system if my B-King clutch was anything to go by I would prefer the cable. It was heavier and had less feel to my mind.
I never had any issues with the hydraulic clutch on my 1200 Bandit being heavy,quite the oposite tbf but i guess each bike has its own quirks. Not ridden a B-King so cannot comment on it preformance.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
I never had any issues with the hydraulic clutch on my 1200 Bandit being heavy,quite the oposite tbf but i guess each bike has its own quirks. Not ridden a B-King so cannot comment on it preformance.
Yes agree but maybe engine power transmitted is a factor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I never had any issues with the hydraulic clutch on my 1200 Bandit
Surprisingly, I did. And it was weird. The three allen heads that hold the slave cylinder to the engine case came loose. So the engagement point moved back to the handlebar. I kept stalling for a couple days before my brain finally accepted the issue existed and I investigated and found the slave cylinder moving in and out as the clutch lever was pressed. Only once about 2 years ago in 15 years of ownership.
(76) Magura Hymec 167 Hydraulic Clutch on Suzuki GSX-S1000 - YouTube
Still has a cable at the very end though. Like a hybrid.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
Reactions: gixerhp

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
124 Posts
Never had any issues with either cable or hydraulic.
Think I’d sooner cable, only cause brake fluid makes me a little nervous.
In any case, I’d imagine before the cable broke you would likely notice an unusual increase in free play.

·
Administrator
409 Posts
My '16 Bandit has hydraulic and as we know, my '18 GSX has cable. Never an issue with either, and performance wise - I like both. I will say every Spring when the bikes come out of winter storage, all cables get lubed as part of my bike prep.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My '16 Bandit has hydraulic and as we know, my '18 GSX has cable. Never an issue with either, and performance wise - I like both. I will say every Spring when the bikes come out of winter storage, all cables get lubed as part of my bike prep.
I agree on the maintenance topic.I also prep my bike after the winter hold up. My initial question regarding clutch cables was that i seem to be reading quite a bit on the topic on the GSXS Facebook pages where people have changed levers and in doing so there has been an increase in cables snapping. Now this may well be caused by cheap aftermarket levers being used but i have used aftermarket levers on most of my bikes over the last 20 years or so and never had an issue. This has led me to think is there an issue with the lever/perch or has the cable itself failed?..

·
Administrator
409 Posts
Now this may well be caused by cheap aftermarket levers being used but i have used aftermarket levers on most of my bikes over the last 20 years or so and never had an issue. This has led me to think is there an issue with the lever/perch or has the cable itself failed?..
I think you partially nailed it regarding "cheap aftermarket levers". I would also suggest that some posters on Facebook may not be the most talented DIY mechanics; and create some of there own issues. For what it is worth, I use high quality aftermarket levers and never a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you partially nailed it regarding "cheap aftermarket levers". I would also suggest that some posters on Facebook may not be the most talented DIY mechanics; and create some of there own issues. For what it is worth, I use high quality aftermarket levers and never a problem.
Thanks,
Shall we now all have a massive debate on the aftermarket lever range lol.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
I was impressed with the single finger operation in the video but would not buy.
I consider clutch operation as a free workout exercise for my arthritis:).

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen as you just stated people change levers and end up with more issues then it was worth. My bike is brand new i have about 535 miles on it and it's winter here but either way is way to early for me to have any issues I've had nothing but a great time so far on my bike absolutely love my 2020 GSXS 1000ZAMO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts