GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a nice little present from the postie today.

Installation was pretty straight forward. No need to drop the exhaust. If you have an Abba stand or similar you can lift the swing arm enough to make room for the shock.
Feed the external reservoir up through first with the wheel lowered a bit so you can reach down and grab it, hang the reservoir out to the side and lift the wheel all the way up to make feeding the shock up easier and you are away.
Haven't had much time to play with it yet but initial ride feels pretty promising. It's firm but compliant. No need to compromise your preload to make up for the lack of compression adjustment like on the standard Shock.
Well pleased for the moment.

I haven't had time to change the front springs yet and I'm working away all next week so that will have to wait for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is it the streetbox? I got the feedback that the shock comes with bundle is very similar to the stock one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you mind telling me what the original shock lenth between centers is please?
I just done a quick measurement and the centres are 331mm as close as I can tell. I don't have a very accurate measuring stick but I should be within a mm

Is it the streetbox? I got the feedback that the shock comes with bundle is very similar to the stock one.
No, It's not the streetbox one. The streetbox only comes with a spring for weight and only rebound adjustment. It has a valve built in which automatically adjusts the compression flow depending on where you set the rebound.
Mine has an external reservoir which I can adjust rebound and compression independently

Lovely! I'm wondering your Hyperpro shock is the same as this one?
No, this is the streetbox shock i spoke about to Vnuh up above.
It's probably still better than stock as you would have a spring set to your weight.
A small point of interest. When I was speaking to Hyperpro they said they have a different internals (valving system) if you weigh over 200Kg. They also charge an extra £200 quid to accommodate they extra weight:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just done a quick measurement and the centres are 331mm as close as I can tell. I don't have a very accurate measuring stick but I should be within a mm

No, It's not the streetbox one. The streetbox only comes with a spring for weight and only rebound adjustment. It has a valve built in which automatically adjusts the compression flow depending on where you set the rebound.
Mine has an external reservoir which I can adjust rebound and compression independently

No, this is the streetbox shock i spoke about to Vnuh up above.
It's probably still better than stock as you would have a spring set to your weight.
A small point of interest. When I was speaking to Hyperpro they said they have a different internals (valving system) if you weigh over 200Kg. They also charge an extra £200 quid to accommodate they extra weight:eek:
Thank you for your information Beaker! It seems to me that the Hyperpro Streetbox shock is similar to the Nitron R1 shock, which has the valve built in for simpler adjustment.
Based from a few initial feedback in the forum, the Nitron R1 doesn't make a massive different from the stock shock, which is a shame because it cost quite a lot.
I'm really looking forward to your feedback once you try this out. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Springs are in:laugh:
Still haven't had time for a proper shakedown yet and as the weather is dropping off I probably won't get a chance to really push it and give it a good hard test this year.
Either way, as long as the salts not down I'm quite happy to put on an extra layer and go out and play:D
First test ride was on the way to work this morning. I'm only on the base settings at the mo but it already feels pretty good. The front springs are a good match to the shocker and the bike feels very poised whereas when just the shock was in the front was diving all over the place.
I think I've made a good start:nerd:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thank you for your information Beaker! It seems to me that the Hyperpro Streetbox shock is similar to the Nitron R1 shock, which has the valve built in for simpler adjustment.
Based from a few initial feedback in the forum, the Nitron R1 doesn't make a massive different from the stock shock, which is a shame because it cost quite a lot.
I'm really looking forward to your feedback once you try this out. :nerd:

Hi Caynam,
I see on the Ebay site that one has a spec as "Sport Emulsion Rear Shock Absorber".
For the money asked, I would like better than "Emulsion".
Your present Suzi GSXS one is an Emulsion type, which is the cheapest design made.
The nitrogen gas and the oil are not separate, hence they get very quickly intermixed to a gassy oil, and have variable response to tuning adjustments.

Rob.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Caynam,
I see on the Ebay site that one has a spec as "Sport Emulsion Rear Shock Absorber".
Your present Suzi GSXS one is an Emulsion type, which is the cheapest design made.
The nitrogen gas and the oil are not separate, hence they get very quickly intermixed to a gassy oil, and have variable response to tuning adjustments.

Rob.
I'm sure Nitron Shocks run on just nitrogen gas only..
hence name I guess..!!:)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure Nitron Shocks run on just nitrogen gas only..
hence name I guess..!!:)
I'm pretty sure they don't. I think you'll find some oil in there somewhere.;) Nitrogen is just the medium used instead of air because it is more stable under a wider range of conditions.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm pretty sure they don't. I think you'll find some oil in there somewhere.;) Nitrogen is just the medium used instead of air because it is more stable under a wider range of conditions.
I read once how they make those cheap to produce, bare bones emulsion shockers.

After the body is filled with the very cold oil, the plunger rod is pulled down, and blocks of frozen dry ice, a.k.a. Nitrogen are tossed in and the gas blocks fume a bit and the end cap press jammed over to seal the body. The blocks fully melt and the gas pressure increases.
The ones with prefixed name of Sport, just replace the nitrogen with nitro - glycerine for added bang for the bucks. Hence that Nitron name.;)
Rob.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Sun was shining today. Cold but clear and dry so I took the bike out for a proper run.
The Hyperpro front springs are a good match to the rear shock. The overall feel is a lot more biased towards sporty than cruising, so if you are after something soft and squidgy for lazing around on this upgrade probably isn't for you.
On the other hand, the bike tracks really well. It doesn't get out of shape if you do find a pothole or two. You can be really aggressive on the brakes and on the power without either end getting out of shape. No backend squatting asking for the power, no forks diving for the endstops. It's all pretty well controlled, I like it:laugh:
Not daft enough to slam it into any corners and try the edge grip at this time of year but I'm pretty sure it will be fine when the time comes.
I think the best way I can describe it is, all the safety margins have been moved a little further. It brakes a little better, it accelerates a little better and most of all, it stops a little better. What's not to like;);)

·
Registered
724 Posts
The Sun was shining today. Cold but clear and dry so I took the bike out for a proper run.
The Hyperpro front springs are a good match to the rear shock. The overall feel is a lot more biased towards sporty than cruising, so if you are after something soft and squidgy for lazing around on this upgrade probably isn't for you.
On the other hand, the bike tracks really well. It doesn't get out of shape if you do find a pothole or two. You can be really aggressive on the brakes and on the power without either end getting out of shape. No backend squatting asking for the power, no forks diving for the endstops. It's all pretty well controlled, I like it:laugh:
Not daft enough to slam it into any corners and try the edge grip at this time of year but I'm pretty sure it will be fine when the time comes.
I think the best way I can describe it is, all the safety margins have been moved a little further. It brakes a little better, it accelerates a little better and most of all, it stops a little better. What's not to like;);)
All sounds good.. Did you have the suspension set by a pro or do it yourself... also was it just a spring swap on the front forks..?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you Beaker for this info.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All sounds good.. Did you have the suspension set by a pro or do it yourself... also was it just a spring swap on the front forks..?
Hi Tony,
I set the suspension myself. Hyperpro gave me some good base settings to start from. Their instructions are pretty simple to follow and then I just rode it around for a week to work and back letting everything bed in and getting used to the feel. I just added a click here and there to get the feel I was looking for. I'll probably be making a few alterations as I get more used to it and to cope with the changing weather conditions but in all honesty it wasn't too bad out of the box.
The front springs comes with some Hyperpro oil and a little special grease to rub into the fork legs. I haven't done any revalving so it was quite an easy job as long as you have a spring compressor.
I've used their front end spring kits in the past and have always found them to be an improvement over standard. They are a good compromise for the road without breaking the bank:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Tony,
I set the suspension myself. Hyperpro gave me some good base settings to start from. Their instructions are pretty simple to follow and then I just rode it around for a week to work and back letting everything bed in and getting used to the feel. I just added a click here and there to get the feel I was looking for. I'll probably be making a few alterations as I get more used to it and to cope with the changing weather conditions but in all honesty it wasn't too bad out of the box.
The front springs comes with some Hyperpro oil and a little special grease to rub into the fork legs. I haven't done any revalving so it was quite an easy job as long as you have a spring compressor.
I've used their front end spring kits in the past and have always found them to be an improvement over standard. They are a good compromise for the road without breaking the bank:)
Cheers for the info ol lad.... Can I ask what didn't you like about the stock Suzuki front forks..?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Caynam,

Rob.
Thank you "Slower and Slower" (What a name!) :D
After spending hundreds of $ on a PCV and a new set of tires, I've decided to live with the stock shock.
Maybe I'll switch to aftermarket shock after 20k km or so

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to grave dig on this thread, ordered the hyper pro shock a few weeks ago and it should be here soon. Looking for more details on the install.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts