GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo yeah.

i crashed, went off into a corn field, held it up till the bottom of the embankment going into the corn field, the right side got smushed a bit, pushed rad back a bit.

today was my 1st day of looking at it (happened on aug 10th) have a fractured wrist which i had a cast on for 3 weeks, some bruised ribs, black eye, but overall ok.

so as i said, the rad pushed back the nut for the fan popped a hole in it, i brought it to a local radiator shop and they filled the hole so that is all set, put it back on today and let it get to temp and realized the fan was still pushed back too far cause some plastic started to melt to the header, i stoped there on that and moved to the handlebars, which surprisingly were not bent that i can tell so far, i have a ROX bar riser on and it took the brunt of the energy (and helped the bar end make a small dent in the tank, ugh) but i realized that the right lever and switch housing shifted.

this has a pin that sheered off when the whole assembly spun on the bars. the whole assembly is 100. ouch.

so i spent an hour with a set of calipers and CAD'd up a replacement and 3dprinted it.

i forgot to take a pic but thats in the handle now and works (but ill be making up a v2 that clamps tighter)

those plastics on the side are expensive as f*** like 240 shipped for all 4 pieces, so ill be running the bike as a street fighter for a while.
also the bottom painted piece that has the suzuki sticker is 200 ish by itself (luckily i can epoxy that piece)

ill upload some pics tomorrow and do a proper update

·
Registered
76 Posts
240 bucks isn't bad for fairing pieces. imo. I dropped a gsxr, and the pieces were far more expensive than that. hope you get speedy recovery! and get bike back to shape

·
Registered
673 Posts
That's some tough luck. Glad to hear you didn't suffer any major injuries and good luck getting back on the road.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your crash. I'm wishing you a fast recovery and that you may have your bike fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Bummer,
Good luck with the rebuild. Glad to know it hasn’t put you off and you’re getting it back to its former glory.
So what was so interesting in the corn field you thought you had to go take a look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad you’re ok. A broken wrist sucks but it could have been a lot worse. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Please tell us what was the cause of your crash.
Was this a mod that was done to the bike?
Did someone force you to maneuver into the corn field?
At what speed were you ridding?
Was it a curve, open road, asphalt, dirt road, etc?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
He went stalk-ing and landed on his ear -- sorry but I didn't start it.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
sooo yeah.

i crashed, went off into a corn field, held it up till the bottom of the embankment going into the corn field, the right side got smushed a bit, pushed rad back a bit.

today was my 1st day of looking at it (happened on aug 10th) have a fractured wrist which i had a cast on for 3 weeks, some bruised ribs, black eye, but overall ok.

so as i said, the rad pushed back the nut for the fan popped a hole in it, i brought it to a local radiator shop and they filled the hole so that is all set, put it back on today and let it get to temp and realized the fan was still pushed back too far cause some plastic started to melt to the header, i stoped there on that and moved to the handlebars, which surprisingly were not bent that i can tell so far, i have a ROX bar riser on and it took the brunt of the energy (and helped the bar end make a small dent in the tank, ugh) but i realized that the right lever and switch housing shifted.

View attachment 44078

this has a pin that sheered off when the whole assembly spun on the bars. the whole assembly is 100. ouch.

View attachment 44079

so i spent an hour with a set of calipers and CAD'd up a replacement and 3dprinted it.

i forgot to take a pic but thats in the handle now and works (but ill be making up a v2 that clamps tighter)

those plastics on the side are expensive as f*** like 240 shipped for all 4 pieces, so ill be running the bike as a street fighter for a while.
also the bottom painted piece that has the suzuki sticker is 200 ish by itself (luckily i can epoxy that piece)

ill upload some pics tomorrow and do a proper update
Do you have any comments regarding electronics on your bike helping or not?
What is your year, and what does it have?

·
Registered
38 Posts
He went stalk-ing and landed on his ear -- sorry but I didn't start it.;)
OK, you guys have farmed enough puns out of the situation. Although it is good to see fertile minds at work, corny as they may be.

Seriously, good work 3D printing replacement parts! That is awesome. Perfect example of when life hands you lemons...

As others asked, what was the root cause of the crash? Weed out the unnecessary parts and provide the salient facts.(See what I did there?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol i love the puns.
ill try to paint a picture best i can.

going speed limit which was 40mph on that road, come to a point where road slightly goes up in elevation and as it crests it also tightens to the left.
on the right hand side of the road there was corn field and on the left it is houses. it was 740pm sun setting twords corn field. i saw movement and looked to see a deer and wasnt paying attention to how much left i needed (with the turn tightening) and once i hit the gravel it was down the embankment i rode and came to a sudden stop at the bottom i think from me grabbing front brake probably and when the bars hit the ground my wrists took the brunt of the energy, my left one mostly, right is sore but fine. i had a spark plug in my chest pocket which hurt my chest a bit and a black eye from the helmet hitting (scorpion r410) im over all fine, and now have the bike working again. ended up having to have radiator fixed at a shop, so far, have riden it 4 times since i got it working again. it seems ok so far, didnt even bend the bars (thx wrist)

so my next venture is trying to use photogrammetery to "scan" the unbroken side if i can, and mirror them in cad and see if i can 3d print any of the plastic parts. so far my test scan didnt turn out horrible. maybe i could email the right person at suzuki and get a copy of the cad files but i doubt it. lol

i will update with photos just checking this later at night currently.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Glad your up and running again.
It must have been a relief not to have found any further nasties with the bike after the test ride.
Good luck with the cosmetics. I’m sure you’ll have her looking like her old self soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts