GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I rolled past 3k miles this past weekend. Got in a couple of 200+ miles rides each day. Bike is still running good. Noise on start up from the engine is still there cold or hot and comes and goes. Debating whether to put it in the shop for a look/listen or just keep riding it. Pretty sure it is the cam chain tensioner related. Adding a new one probably won't make it go away for very long if at all based on my past experience with them on GSXR's that had this rattle noise. My 21 GSX-R1000R with the VVT valve train sounds like it is coming apart idling. Nature of the beast on those. The GT is due an oil change so I will get around to that this week sometime. Not much else to talk about with it. Chain still does not need adjusting after 3k miles. Dunlop rear tire getting a little thin out back and squared off due to me riding on the trip on the highway. I am not liking the stock windscreen anymore now than in the beginning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are there any downsides to the noise, aside from it just being noisy? Not sure if any issues due to accelerated wear etc or if it's just a noise you have to deal with (not a big deal in my book). Can't say I've noticed it on mine yet but I am no where near your mileage.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I’m wondering if my snake oil amsoil will make run any smoother. Always had good luck with it quieting down and making run better overall in all cehicles

my Scion tC w 200k miles sounded like a **** tractor at 100k I switched from dealer full synthetic to amsoil, and my god. Sounded better than new. Can’t even hear it idling

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Are there any downsides to the noise, aside from it just being noisy? Not sure if any issues due to accelerated wear etc or if it's just a noise you have to deal with (not a big deal in my book). Can't say I've noticed it on mine yet but I am no where near your mileage.
No down sides and it goes away right after start up and a little idling in between. Just a tapping sound which is coming from the cam chain tensioner area and 1/2 speed of the crank speed. It is not a valve tappet sound. Started at roughly 500 miles into the trip. I've heard this on past Suzuki's I have owned but this one just seems to be hanging on. It sometimes doesn't even do it on a warm or cold start but most the time it does it mostly on hot starts. Does not last long but it is louder than the exhaust or any other mechanical sound from the engine. I tried to video record it but iphones are terrible to use for that. Other than that it runs fine and very smooth. Just kind of odd the way it randomly does it. This engine is way quieter than my GSXR engine cold or hot.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000
94 Posts
No down sides and it goes away right after start up and a little idling in between. Just a tapping sound which is coming from the cam chain tensioner area and 1/2 speed of the crank speed. It is not a valve tappet sound. Started at roughly 500 miles into the trip. I've heard this on past Suzuki's I have owned but this one just seems to be hanging on. It sometimes doesn't even do it on a warm or cold start but most the time it does it mostly on hot starts. Does not last long but it is louder than the exhaust or any other mechanical sound from the engine. I tried to video record it but iphones are terrible to use for that. Other than that it runs fine and very smooth. Just kind of odd the way it randomly does it. This engine is way quieter than my GSXR engine cold or hot.
I am noticing this too on my 2022 naked. Only when hot; haven't had any noise on cold start up.

I'm at 1700 miles. Started noticing it at about 1200 miles in. Like Roy says, it does seem to go away.

No other issues so I'm good for now. If it continues to do this throughout the summer, I will take it in to the dealer to have them check it out under the warranty period.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’m wondering if my snake oil amsoil will make run any smoother. Always had good luck with it quieting down and making run better overall in all cehicles

my Scion tC w 200k miles sounded like a **** tractor at 100k I switched from dealer full synthetic to amsoil, and my god. Sounded better than new. Can’t even hear it idling
Lol my buddy is an Amsoil rep and I always tease him calling it snake oil. We are sending Amsoil to Ontario and I’ll be doing an oil change with it before heading back west. I’ll be sure to post

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
been using Amsoil for 8 years, won't use anything else. I paid a 15 year membership so I dont have to pay the 15 dollars a year lol.

but yeah, it beats wasting gas/time/going to store, I just order everything I need once a year. riding mower + push mower, generator, motorcycle, car, gf's car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am noticing this too on my 2022 naked. Only when hot; haven't had any noise on cold start up.

I'm at 1700 miles. Started noticing it at about 1200 miles in. Like Roy says, it does seem to go away.

No other issues so I'm good for now. If it continues to do this throughout the summer, I will take it in to the dealer to have them check it out under the warranty period.
That makes 3 of us. Mine has only done it twice though, with 900 miles on it. Once on hot start, once on cold start.

I noticed in the literature that Suzuki said one of the parts they redesigned for '22 was the cam chain tensioner. If that's what the tapping is, makes me think it wasn't such a good idea to redesign it!
If it becomes any more consistent I'm going to take it in.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,448 Posts
Iv'e got the same thing with my naked, especially when hot. The oil is whatever the dealer put in at first service !
I have mentioned this before but can't remember where.

Reactions: roy826

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Save your money on the clear suzuki tank protection. It is crap! put mine on per instructions (yes I have used 3m clear on racebikes before and installed vinyl number plates) so I know how to put this type stuff on. However the suzuki stuff went on with now bubbles left it does show the glue residue through the clear on a black bike. Not good. Guess I should have bought the black package but somehow I think it would not have been any better. It is still on the bike but I probably will peel it off and just eat that $27 bucks as lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Save your money on the clear suzuki tank protection. It is crap! put mine on per instructions (yes I have used 3m clear on racebikes before and installed vinyl number plates) so I know how to put this type stuff on. However the suzuki stuff went on with now bubbles left it does show the glue residue through the clear on a black bike. Not good. Guess I should have bought the black package but somehow I think it would not have been any better. It is still on the bike but I probably will peel it off and just eat that $27 bucks as lesson learned.
I didnt have a single bubble, but I did have to shift it over a little after it did initial tack and I did successfully pull and reset, but, there was a few residual glue spots behind it, little splotches.

if I didnt reseat it, it would of been Gucci. I will look today and see if they disappeared at all. but I had zero issues with any type of bubbles, but I used my own squeeze w felt covering and my slip solution was simply dawn and water.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I used dawn and water and I did not move mine at all once on. No bubbles and I used the supplied applicator which worked as well as the one I already had. I see the splotches is what pisses me off with it which I assume is the glue. Garage was plenty warm when I put it on that was not an issue. I just think it is not high quality stuff. Can't be for the price. Go price 3m clear on even amazon and it cost way more. I'd like someone from Suzuki to show me how to put it on a black bike without this happening. lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not a fan of clear coat on anything...I even strip it off the engine cases of my classic bikes....it always seems to turn to crap.
My GT goes in next week to be ceramic coated....expensive but I've see the amazing results with other bikes I have done.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I read online that ceramic coatings were really just over priced wax jobs and that most do not hold up. It was online so truth could be far from true.

Yes I strip the clear off my old bike engines as well. The thought behind the tank stuff was my bikes black and the clear coat on the paint is thin and cheap. Just a try to save it from use. Not that I care long term I probably won't have the bike long as soon as the latest something else comes out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I read online that ceramic coatings were really just over priced wax jobs and that most do not hold up. It was online so truth could be far from true.

Yes I strip the clear off my old bike engines as well. The thought behind the tank stuff was my bikes black and the clear coat on the paint is thin and cheap. Just a try to save it from use. Not that I care long term I probably won't have the bike long as soon as the latest something else comes out.
I hear that....me though I tend to keep my bikes and just add to the garage...lol...my k1300r has 100,000kms on it and it looks like new....the ony wear and tear is the seat....I think the ceramic coating is more than a "fancy wax job"....but who knows...lol
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Fuel tank Land vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I used dawn and water and I did not move mine at all once on. No bubbles and I used the supplied applicator which worked as well as the one I already had. I see the splotches is what pisses me off with it which I assume is the glue. Garage was plenty warm when I put it on that was not an issue. I just think it is not high quality stuff. Can't be for the price. Go price 3m clear on even amazon and it cost way more. I'd like someone from Suzuki to show me how to put it on a black bike without this happening. lol
I emailed them, but they ignored my American ass.

if any of the paint protection film people in America could get the cutout dot plotter we could all buy it. I want this kit fricken bad

these are literally the only pieces I want. but I only need the front of bike now, and the center of tank since I got Suzuki on.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
3019 miles and I did the 2nd oil and filter change yesterday. The bike has sat idle for over a week I have been sick and real busy with work. The hammering noise was very loud on start up after the oil and filter change and went away as soon as oil got to what ever is causing this hammering sound. It is coming from the cam chain tensioner area so I still suspect that as the culprit. I may dig into the service manual and see what makes this cam chain tensioner work or not work.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts