GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the stock triangles (for lack of a better word) with steel ones made in Germany that lower the rear 20 mm. And per the installation instructions raised the fork tubes by 12 mm.

The result is excellent. I rode it about a thousand miles before lowering it and do not notice any detrimental handling aspects at all. I can touch down much more comfortably and confidently at stops now.

Also removed the kickstand and had a local welder cut .75 inches out and rewelded foot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I replaced the stock triangles (for lack of a better word) with steel ones made in Germany that lower the rear 20 mm. And per the installation instructions raised the fork tubes by 12 mm.

The result is excellent. I rode it about a thousand miles before lowering it and do not notice any detrimental handling aspects at all. I can touch down much more comfortably and confidently at stops now.

Also removed the kickstand and had a local welder cut .75 inches out and rewelded foot.
Interested-
Where did you source the parts?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The above eBay kit is from Lust racing. But they are 40mm which is almost 1.6 inches which I thought might be too much.

I got mine from Motorcycle Accessories & Aftermarket European Parts. They were a little pricy because the are imported from Germany. But they are approved by the picky German equivalent of the DOT. They also have 40 mm kit but if you read the mounting instructions for both the 20mm kit and the 40mm kit, they both indicate that the forks should be raised only 12mm. I assume this is to avoid an interference (big) problem at full fork compression.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have purchased a lowering kit from Lust Racing in the UK and had a mechanic fit it and raise the stanchions; it wasn't complicated or expensive and I can now ground flat, and the handling is better and I feel a lot more confident. Brilliant outcome.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well done sounds an easy fix.
I was involved in some lowering for a tiny Japanese girl 4ft 10. She bought a Honda CB 400 the great 4 cylinder job from Honda. We lowered suspension front and back, scalloped the seat, adjusted the side stand, & also added material to the soles of her boots so she could touch the ground! She almost looked like Elton John in his hey day!
Was a big success for her, just had to be a little careful with the limited ground clearance and suspension travel, however she weighed in at only about 40 kgs!
Jeffro

·
Registered
217 Posts
Congratulations! Can you post up some pictures of how the bike looks lowered?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi lowered mine with the kit off mfw from mandp in swansea uk 20mm rear and the front by 12mm ,however not touched the side stand as the bike still leans well over and i have not found a situation where the bike was to upright with out the stand mod, the triangle,s where easy to fit but the exhaust is to close but raising the back end and a little jiggling got the bolts out, 20mm may not sound alot but makes a big differance to my 27 inch legs well worth it

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Glad it worked for you parablob. Confidence is the name of the game.
Being on tippy toes is no fun as eventually you will need to do a U turn on a slope and it doesn't take much to tip it over in that circumstance, if you grab some front brake with the front wheel turned.
The V Strom 1K had me in that very situation recently on a 16% slope uphill to go back downhill again.
I survived the bike's sudden rotation around the now stopped front axle but the old hip joint got a sudden pounding holding up the leaning bike's weight.
Won't do that again, lession learned.

Rob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts