GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've been asked a few times about clutchless shifting and figured I could throw a quick video together about it!

Cheers!
-JP

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good video and a useful skill. I learnt to do it years ago and do it on occasion. I’ve found it works better on some bikes than others. Works well on Suzuki’s for me because they have such slick transmissions.

I personally find it works better for me hard on the gas, not so much at slower speeds, but that’s probably just me and my technique. A loose chain at lower speeds can cause some lurching I’ve noticed.

An actual quick shifter overcomes that because you don’t close the throttle and when the power comes back in its instant.

Next video please on how to do a stoppie without falling down. 😀

Pick a drier day though. Your video reminds me of how many years I rode in the rain in the UK before I left. Of course my rain riding skills have deteriorated lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have a very calm and clear delivery in your video. You should do more...very nice work.

I myself have no use for clutchless shifting. I'm much too slow. But I do appreciate the tips on how to handle a heavy load.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good video and a useful skill. I learnt to do it years ago and do it on occasion. I’ve found it works better on some bikes than others. Works well on Suzuki’s for me because they have such slick transmissions.

I personally find it works better for me hard on the gas, not so much at slower speeds, but that’s probably just me and my technique. A loose chain at lower speeds can cause some lurching I’ve noticed.

An actual quick shifter overcomes that because you don’t close the throttle and when the power comes back in its instant.

Next video please on how to do a stoppie without falling down. 😀

Pick a drier day though. Your video reminds me of how many years I rode in the rain in the UK before I left. Of course my rain riding skills have deteriorated lol.
Thanks so much man! As for slow vs fast I’ve found that I initially thought this too, but realised it was actually closing the throttle completely that caused this lurch you’re referring to.

For eg: 25mph @ 15% throttle (close throttle completely to 0% while shifting) cuts off fuel and causes a lurch and sluggish change.

If I do it again but this time 4th gear @ 70% throttle and close it to 50% while quick shifting it’s now smooth. So I think it comes from quick shifting in low gears at slow speed with a fully closed throttle perhaps?

As for the stoppie, a bit outside of my skill set there! Thanks for watching!

You have a very calm and clear delivery in your video. You should do more...very nice work.

I myself have no use for clutchless shifting. I'm much too slow. But I do appreciate the tips on how to handle a heavy load.
Thank you! I do have a few vlogs on there already, but I want to get good enough to be able to teach people correct information etc first.

Is that a load joke based on the video? Hahahahahahaha 😂

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
when first riding motorcycles it was all about the cliuch clutch makes a bike talk its where the fun is and nothing has chnged

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when first riding motorcycles it was all about the cliuch clutch makes a bike talk its where the fun is and nothing has chnged
I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you mean? Making a bike talk?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
i see your point making bike talk,,,, use clutch revs rise ,,, you feel that little pull or jerk,,, lttle bit hotrod mode you feel that mechanic,s of the clutch at work ,,knowing at any time a pull of the clutch, wack of the throttle and that bike talking to ya the other way is just plain boaring

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
my bike came with a quick shifter, it is good for riding, but i hate it for wheelies as i prefer to use the clutch to change gears while wheelie'ing, it does seem to upset my balance then, but it took me some time to get accustomed to it

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bike came with a quick shifter, it is good for riding, but i hate it for wheelies as i prefer to use the clutch to change gears while wheelie'ing, it does seem to upset my balance then, but it took me some time to get accustomed to it
Wish I could wheelie. I’ve dropped the clutch on this heavily and cannot get it to lift, to a point I don’t want to try anymore for fear of damaging the bike.

The front lifts a little if I wide open in first but I cannot for he life of me get the hang of clutch drop wheelies, all the bike does is slam the clutch mechanically and I jerk forwards but no lifting motion.

Not really sure how people do it, I’ve tried emulating YouTube videos but just can’t do it!

Traction is turned off.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
Im sure it will power wheelie in 1st, if you roll along at 6krpm, full throttle , as soon as it responds pull back on the handle bars, ,mine will power wheelie from 4krpm in first....maybe you need that exhaust of mine i offered....then it will do 2nd gear power wheelies...hahaha

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sure it will power wheelie in 1st, if you roll along at 6krpm, full throttle , as soon as it responds pull back on the handle bars, ,mine will power wheelie from 4krpm in first....maybe you need that exhaust of mine i offered....then it will do 2nd gear power wheelies...hahaha
still want it mate I’m just broke

·
Registered
13 Posts
that was great and so much informative, thank you so much ive managed now to down shift clutchlessly :) thanks to you, i've always upshifted no problems was was always afraid to downshift maybe because i used to give it much more throttle than i should have
awesome chap ride safe

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that was great and so much informative, thank you so much ive managed now to down shift clutchlessly :) thanks to you, i've always upshifted no problems was was always afraid to downshift maybe because i used to give it much more throttle than i should have
awesome chap ride safe
Ah man that's really lovely to hear, thank you so much for sharing back! Ride safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts