GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name michael today my first day on the forum. Im looking to buy my first bike issue is that im looking to buy a 2016 GSX-S1000F but i sat on it and besides from it being a bit heavy i was abit small im 5’5 so i was on my tippy toe on the bike im 20 years old dont know to much about bikes but i was thinking on lowering the bike but before i got into any purchases at all i wanted to know if lowering the bike to were im atleast flat footed or more stable and balance if that will affect the bike performance by alot or what you guys reccomend

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sorry, but this is really not a beginner's motorcycle. As far as lowering it, some have, there's a thread somewhere on the forum about that. Though if you can touch both toes at the same time, it's fine. Riding is a lot more fun with your feet on the pegs anyway ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd consider the 750 if it's your first bike, no offence meant but the 1000 is a great bike but better suited to experienced riders.

·
Registered
871 Posts
1. This is NOT a beginners bike.
2. This is NOT a heavy bike. Maybe compared to a 250 it is heavy, but it's actually really light.
3. Find yourself something smaller for your first bike and learn to ride on it. This bike will overwhelm you if you aren't careful. Even a 600cc bike will get you to insane speeds in the blink of an eye.
4. Sorry, but motorcycle life will be unkind to you. I'm only 2 inches taller, you'll need to adapt. Lowering bikes, to me, isn't a good idea. There's a LOT of compromises to be had there. I bought a lowered bike once and promptly put it back and the difference in how it rode was night and day. Putting on longer dog bones affects the travel of the shock. Either learn to ride the bike, or get a bike with a lower seat height. As this is your first bike, I'd suggest getting something with a lower seat height, then you can adjust yourself from there. One of the best dirt bike riders I've seen was shorter than you riding a stock dirt bike, but he didn't start there, he got the skills on smaller bikes.

Welcome to the world of motorcycling, take it easy and enjoy yourself while staying safe. Better to have a long riding life with lots of bikes than a short one on one cool bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with everyone else. My first was an 06 suzuki gsxsf600 (Katana to us north Americans...)

And that bike was, to me, a perfect beginner. Lots of go for when I got experience, but tame enough to be forgiving for a newb. Still hit 230kph with not much trouble, and quicker than any car. A newer 400cc area bike should be a perfect beginner, enough to forgive rookie mistakes but also enough to give a smile across your face.

A first bike should not be a dream bike. If i started with a 1000 I'd have probably killed myself. A first bike should be something you end up upgrading from after a couple years.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Also, buy an ugly bike. You WILL drop it, and if the bike was already ugly, you won't care. If you drop your brand new bike in the first 100 yards....not saying I'd actually know anyone who would do such a thing...it WILL be painful. 6 months to a year later, sell the ugly bike for exactly what you paid for it, no money lost, and go buy something nicer. By then your skills should be better, and you'll have a good idea of what you really want at that time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another reason why my 2006 Katana was a perfect starter 🤣
My '97 was brand new in '98, and it had two busted mirrors and scuffs on each side in 20 minutes. :(

To be fair, those mirrors would pop off if you breathed on them wrong.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I won't say buy x# cc or don't, won't say buy new or old. You have the power to be judicious with your right hand and not everyone dumps their bike, I haven't yet. Yet. I will say though that having sat on the bike you felt uncomfortable, this bike is not heavy for it's class with only the premium priced s1000r shaving 10lbs on it. Everything else is at or more weight, including the gsx-s750. Your first bike should be whatever you can afford (and afford to crash) and fits you so you can worry about your road skills and not about putting your feet on the ground.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My '97 was brand new in '98, and it had two busted mirrors and scuffs on each side in 20 minutes. /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

To be fair, those mirrors would pop off if you breathed on them wrong.
I can't say anything bad about my experience with mine, it was already scuffed and dinged when I got it. Only cosmetic though.... Although I did have to tighten the bolts holding the mirrors every 2000km or so. Until I finally remembered thread locker was a thing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Probably sub-optimal for a first bike, but if used judiciously, it can be done. The fact that it seems heavy to you, and seat height isn't ideal, I'd say look for something else like an SV650, or the new Kawi Z400 (looks fantastic and gets great reviews). JMHO.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi Michael,
There's been great advice given about the GSX-S1000, but at 20 yo and no motorcycle experience noted, your biting too much off at once.
Perhaps one of our Mates has one to off load, and that's the issue your thinking over or just fancy a bike.

Could I suggest that the 1000 is not for you now and you should follow the proven path by going smaller in engine size. The age of 20 will attract a very large insurances cost's that you have not accounted for, and I know at 20, I certainly did not have an income to waste.
My choice of bike and I have owned several of these, is the Suzuki SV650. The seat height is a lot lower than the 750 or 1000 GSX-S (at 31", 780 mm). New they are several thousands cheaper than the 750, and are reasonably common find as a used machine across the World.
As a new bike, the Kawasaki 400 whether naked or in faired style is a great looker, and would be my choice if I had a Relative in your position as it's in the Goldilocks zone of recommended bikes.

Just give the idea of the 2016 GSX-S1000 a big miss for a few year's more, and your Mother will love you even more than now.

Rob.

Hey Mike D, I didn't see your post at the top of the screen, great to see my choices were your's for Michael too.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hey Mike D, I didn't see your post at the top of the screen, great to see my choices were your's for Michael too.
Fine minds think alike! ;)
I'm actually intrigued by the Z400 as a second bike. One of my favorite bikes was a 2007 Ninja 500, and I imagine the 400 is pretty close in power / torque, and with even better handling, modern FI, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Fine minds think alike! /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I'm actually intrigued by the Z400 as a second bike. One of my favorite bikes was a 2007 Ninja 500, and I imagine the 400 is pretty close in power / torque, and with even better handling, modern FI, etc.
I agree with that. Theres definitely a different kind of fun to have with a smaller nimble bike that you can ride like a mad man... So that also strengthens the argument most of us are making for the original poster.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm 5'5" as well and I started on a gsxr 600 which is a similar height. I could only tiptoe both feet but I got used to it. I also had a 400 supermoto (best bike ever) and I could only one foot it but I also got used to it.

If it's going to be your first bike and you don't know much about bikes, I'd definitely recommend a motorcycle safety training course. Also, I'd echo what others are saying and start on something used with a smaller displacement. Dropping the bike will happen (especially at our height) and will suck more if it's a brand new bike. While I got comfortable on my 600 pretty quickly, controlling my desire to do stupid **** (even in my late 20s) was much harder. I can only imagine what kind of trouble I would have gotten into if I started with a 1000 when I was 20! Other than freeway use, smaller bikes are incredibly fun and I doubt too many people would argue that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi my name michael today my first day on the forum. Im looking to buy my first bike issue is that im looking to buy a 2016 GSX-S1000F but i sat on it and besides from it being a bit heavy i was abit small im 5’5 so i was on my tippy toe on the bike im 20 years old dont know to much about bikes but i was thinking on lowering the bike but before i got into any purchases at all i wanted to know if lowering the bike to were im atleast flat footed or more stable and balance if that will affect the bike performance by alot or what you guys reccomend
Hi Michael,
I would not buy a ltr bike for your first bike. You might get away with it for a while or maybe not.
My son learned to ride on a Suzuki GS500 and then went straight to a Yamaha R1 and he reckons that was a
dumb Move.
He had the R1 sideways more than once and couldn't believe he didn't crash.
As for what bike to buy it's up to you but I'm just trying to give you some guidance so you don't end up hurting yourself.
Motorcycles are heaps of fun but your better off starting small and working your way up not to small but something with At least 50, 60 or 70 hp.
Ive been riding since 1971 and got my permit in 1973 I also own a 750 guzzi with 50hp yes only 50hp and that bike is heaps of fun in the twisties and I've given dudes on lot more powerful bikes crap in the tight stuff. I love riding the Guzzi a lot more than other bikes I've owned so HP isn't everything it's about the ride.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts