GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Nice move. ;) Looking forward to your impressions once you get to ride with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Link to install video in my signature. You're going to love this shock.
Thanks man! Yeah, I was watching your video, good job!
As soon as I install this baby, I'll report my findings. My bike is decat it should be easier to remove/install the shock.
I'm preparing my air tools already. I'll have so much fun. :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice move. ;) Looking forward to your impressions once you get to ride with it.
Yes Mike, I have been debating and procrastinating this upgrade but no more wait, my back is not happy at all.
I did not realize why next day of ridding my GSXS1000 I got this back pain. Now I know for sure and is time to fix this. (y)

Registered
Yes Mike, I have been debating and procrastinating this upgrade but no more wait, my back is not happy at all.
I did not realize why next day of ridding my GSXS1000 I got this back pain. Now I know for sure and is time to fix this. (y)
I got the same spring and I'm right about your weight. I've had a bad back for years, and microdisk surgery on L3-L4 in 2013. On high speed bumps, the OEM shock was killing my back. The compression damping was just way to high and I couldn't get it to work at all. With the K-Tech (same spring rate btw), I dial down with the external adjuster to about 1/3 and it's so so much better. If I want to really "plush it up" for bad roads and non-agressive riding I back it off to min. Makes a huge difference. Good Luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got the same spring and I'm right about your weight.
I'm not too sure about the spring rate yet since my weight is 150 lbs (160 with gear) 5' 5" tall, a very small guy.
In the first option 120 - 150 I'm at the end and in the second option 160 - 190 I'm in the beginning.
120 - 150 may be too soft and 160 - 190 may be to stiff.

I've had a bad back for years, and microdisk surgery on L3-L4 in 2013. On high speed bumps, the OEM shock was killing my back.
I'm very sorry to hear about that.

The compression damping was just way to high and I couldn't get it to work at all. With the K-Tech (same spring rate btw), I dial down with the external adjuster to about 1/3 and it's so so much better. If I want to really "plush it up" for bad roads and non-agressive riding I back it off to min. Makes a huge difference. Good Luck!
This is my fear that I may not like it after spending almost $1K including my labor for a shock :unsure:

I got an email confirmation that the shock is coming until next Monday at the end of the day. I may remove the oem shock this weekend.

Registered
I'm not too sure about the spring rate yet since my weight is 150 lbs (160 with gear) 5' 5" tall, a very small guy.
In the first option 120 - 150 I'm at the end and in the second option 160 - 190 I'm in the beginning.
120 - 150 may be too soft and 160 - 190 may be to stiff.
This is my fear that I may not like it after spending almost $1K including my labor for a shock :unsure:
My BAN (bar ash naked) weight is 148 no gear, I guessed high and went with 160 spring too. When I said the compression damping was too high, I was referring to the OEM shock. The K-Tech is so fully adjustable that it's not a problem. You're gonna like it. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts