GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike looks so fun!
Yamaha T7
As a previous owner of an FZ-07, I can attest to this being a great application for the motor.
It just looks like it would be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DR650 looks like a fine bike. I'm sure the single cylinder makes for a lighter machine. I've ridden the Kawi KLR-650 which I think is pretty similar. Very capable bike with a true dirt leaning. I was just fantasizing about the truly great twin motor of the FZ in a light dual-sport package, Seems like it might be a little more street biased, but if the weight was paired down enough, it might give the thumpers a run in the dirt too.
Are you really thinking of selling your DR650?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I was looking at the weight of the current DR650 (366lbs) and KLR650 (432lbs). It seems like the DR is still a dirt worthy machine, but at 432, I think the current KLR has given up all pretense of being a dirt worthy bike. It's become a single cylinder version of the modern day SUV motorcycles (some call them Dual-Sports). ;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
This bike looks so fun!
Yamaha T7
As a previous owner of an FZ-07, I can attest to this being a great application for the motor.
It just looks like it would be a blast to ride.

This might be exactly what I have been looking/waiting for.
I heard not long ago about Yamaha putting an mt motor in an adventure/ trail style bike and as I currently have a v-strom 650 I have been looking at the DRZ400 as it is more trail based and lighter which is what I'm after but I cannot decide between the two for weight and power and this sits right in the middle, depending on it's weight of course.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dr650 is air cooled the klr650 is liquid cooled. I'm sure that explains a large portion of the weight difference. The fz07 motor is sweet! Would love to have a dirt variant.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This might be exactly what I have been looking/waiting for.
I heard not long ago about Yamaha putting an mt motor in an adventure/ trail style bike and as I currently have a v-strom 650 I have been looking at the DRZ400 as it is more trail based and lighter which is what I'm after but I cannot decide between the two for weight and power and this sits right in the middle, depending on it's weight of course.
Having owned a V-Strom 650, I'm thinking the same thing. The DRZ400 would be great too. I've always wanted one, but not quite enough to really buy one. Like you said, if they can keep the T7 weight down. Under 400lbs would be good, under 375 would probably force me to buy one. But that's probably asking too much for a dual cradle, water cooled twin.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Are you really thinking of selling your DR650?
I am. It's a great bike and it would really pain me to part with it, but I have too many bikes and never use it to its potential. Long story about why I got it, but the bottom line is I don't take it off-road and don't need another street bike. I'm also selling the V-strom 650; the V-strom 1000 and the Gixxus will do everything I want to do on a bike, and more (for now).

Dr650 is air cooled the klr650 is liquid cooled. I'm sure that explains a large portion of the weight difference. The fz07 motor is sweet! Would love to have a dirt variant.
The DR is actually air and oil-cooled. The oil sprays on the back of the piston and it is pumped through an oil cooler (the black radiator thing on the right in this pic), pretty effective and simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The FZ-07 motor is just fantastic. None of the "spec" numbers do it justice. It just has unbelievable character and fantastic power delivery. I really miss my FZ-07 (until I rip through the gears on my GSX-S1000F and hear the roar of the K5 at 8K). If all I did was short rides on urban streets, I'd still want my FZ-07, but I like long weekend rides, and even my commute includes some occasionally windy freeway miles. The T7 would give me an excuse to have another bike, where the FZ and the GSX were too close to serving the same purpose for me to justify owning both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts