GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise how to adjust the idle/tickover speed... mines at a 1000k I'm sure it ought to be a bit more....!!!:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
The data sheet in the service manual shows the engine idle speed to be 1150 rpm +/- 100rpm. This would put your idle tick over within spec. From what I understand the idle speed is controlled through the ISC valve ( Idle Speed Control Valve ) which in turn receives it's signal via the ECM therefore this is no way to manually adjust the tickover. There is a window in the suzuki diagnostic system under the active control menu that is labeled "ISC rpm control " but i don't know what parameters this allows you to adjust, if at all allowing you to increase the idle speed.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
Can anyone advise how to adjust the idle/tickover speed... mines at a 1000k I'm sure it ought to be a bit more....!!!:)
Mine used to be around 1250. Since fitting a PCV it dropped to 1000 dead, which is fine for me.
Before I could not detect any effect from the clutch "idle lift" switch but now it is very obvious.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The data sheet in the service manual shows the engine idle speed to be 1150 rpm +/- 100rpm. This would put your idle tick over within spec. From what I understand the idle speed is controlled through the ISC valve ( Idle Speed Control Valve ) which in turn receives it's signal via the ECM therefore this is no way to manually adjust the tickover. There is a window in the suzuki diagnostic system under the active control menu that is labeled "ISC rpm control " but i don't know what parameters this allows you to adjust, if at all allowing you to increase the idle speed.
Cheers for the info Lee...:)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine used to be around 1250. Since fitting a PCV it dropped to 1000 dead, which is fine for me.
Before I could not detect any effect from the clutch "idle lift" switch but now it is very obvious.
Hi dekker... Did you notice more engine braking on a closed throttle... ?...:confused:

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
Hi dekker... Did you notice more engine braking on a closed throttle... ?...:confused:
Hard to say, maybe a bit more?
I love the engine braking on this bike, the more the merrier for me.:)

Reactions: Srad749

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'd think I'd be used to it coming off a SV1000 V twin, but have to say I'm not liking it on t GSX-S... May get it dyno'ed when I refit the Power- commander...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mines at a 1000 rpm with old ECU and without any adjustment made till now.
In owner's manuals they say "The engine idle speed should be 1050 –1250 r/min when the engine is warm."

I think there is no problem if it stays at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi All,
I asked Lee711 the same idle speed adjustment question with a suggested way of increasing the idle in the "Primary TPS could be the key to SNATCH???" Thread.
As he said here, there is no adjustment outside of using the Suzi Service Tool or your own pc with a diagnostic software & plug like from the HeathTech Company.

For a quick explain of what the system is, the throttle bodies (TB for short) have a small internal pipeway in the casting from the air box end to the bottom of the each throttle body. The pipe is partially blocked off by the D shaft that links the 4 TB's.
There is no old style air screw for idle setting mounted over a spring like in the systems going back a few years.

This is the same shaft that the ECU driven secondary TPS butterfly turned by the actuator motor next to the Sec TPS.
When the motor is idling the D shaft is turned enough to allow a set amount of air down the pipe by the ECU actuator to keep the motor running as the main butterfly air valve is closed , and when you rev up, that Sec Butterfly open a lot more.

There are a lot of interconnected settings that need to be looked at via the diagnostics to get it set right as Lee said.
You can read my post in the other Thread, and I have decided, after Lee quoting the Workshop Manuals idle speed, that my 1000 RPM idle is fine and in spec. The accuracy of the display tacho is not good enough to say what is 1000 - 1050 or just under 1100 rpm.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There is a problem with this site today, as I can't re enter my above post to edit into that post.
I referred to the "Primary TPS could be the key to SNATCH???" Thread", is number 234.
The post edit rectangle was fully blank of words and there was no save button.

Rob.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hard to say, maybe a bit more?
I love the engine braking on this bike, the more the merrier for me.:)
Something i recently noticed on my bike and i never noticed it previously but now its very obvious is the engine braking seems to release at 2500rpm and i'm guessing its when the ECU starts putting fuel back in so as not to stall.
Im not sure if its since i got the TPS adjusted or when i installed the power commander or i just never noticed it buts its so obvious now.

And to be honest as ridiculous as it sounds since 7000km my bike has come alive but its also the same time i got the TPS adjusted, with the power commander switched off previously i could not lift the front wheel in second gear and now it could throw me off the back if i don't back off after a clutch flick, also the front wheel always did come power up at 7000 rpm (no clutch)in first gear when i wanted it too and now i cannot keep it down.

I was told by a friend mechanic when i brought the bike new to wait till 10000k till every thing loosens up and the bike will perform better but honestly i thought more like the engines starting to wear then as its not new but its just woken up.

Im not compaining though and for all of you with only a couple of thousand k's on the clock give it time and the fun begins:laugh:

Reactions: Srad749

·
Registered
384 Posts
An explanation of this conclusion would be that all our bikes are wireless controlled remotely by a small Japanese guy who's hiding behind a computer at Suzuki HQ.
When he has a bad day, the bikes are snatchy and vice versa.

Just joking... :D

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
my s idle 1000..cold start idle 1250 and feel no motor braking ,,,is that a result of updated ecu.....have a feb built bike 2016 but throttle dont feel to bad

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I picked mine up new it was around 1000...now since setting the TPS properly it's just under 1200 or so ... that wee rpm block appears every now and again....engine braking is great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My bike (2016) warms up around 1200 and idles at 1000. I don't know why anyone would need it to idle higher than that. Higher idle makes it rougher getting into 1st from neutral. As long as idle is stable and strong at 1000, what's the need for more vibration and noise sitting at idle?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts