GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my ignition won't turn to the on position until I jiggle the key a bit. The problem seems to come and go, sometimes the key will turn without a problem and other times it won't until multiple tries. I'm worried it will get progressively worse until it leaves me stranded somewhere. I just put some wd-40 down the key hole and also cleaned my key which had a small amount of grime on it. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but I did have some aftermarket keys made and one of them would only work in one direction (not flipped).
Do you have more than one key? If so, does the other one work better/worse? If not maybe order a key from Suzi?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't say my key is hard to turn, but it can be a little tight. Try pushing down on the key when you insert it in the lock and let it spring back up Just to make sure it is in all the way before you turn it. You can also try dry graphite to lubricate the lock. You can either buy the graphite specifically made for this purpose or just rub the key with a soft pencil. Either way I've had locksmiths tell me to avoid using liquid lubricants like WD40. They say it will attract dirt and gum up the lock over time. It would also be a good idea to try mike d's suggestion and see if another key turns easier.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's best to remove the key before washing the bike, especially if you have a really rich sudsy detergent brew to use.
The detergent will run down the key and dissolve away the internal grease around the sprung locking pins.
Like the Owners Manual instruction to cover up the switches to keep water out, a cover over the ign. keyhole before wetting the bike may help stop further problems.

Rob.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agreed. Keep the key out. Actually, I go a little farther when washing the bike and put a piece of painters tape or maybe electrical tape over the key slot. The main switch key recess is deeper on this bike than with others so when time to dry I blow the slight bit of water out that has accumulated there. Now when you're riding in the rain...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lately my ignition won't turn to the on position until I jiggle the key a bit. The problem seems to come and go, sometimes the key will turn without a problem and other times it won't until multiple tries. I'm worried it will get progressively worse until it leaves me stranded somewhere. I just put some wd-40 down the key hole and also cleaned my key which had a small amount of grime on it. Does anyone else have this problem?
Have had the same problem since new. Some lock smiths say one thing and others another, and so far using some type of lube is ok (have experimented with WD40, couple drops of motor oil, and other quick lock lube stuff, gun mechanism lube, etc).
I ride every day (work), and during the rainy season lubricant sure makes a huge difference.

However, (am at 48k +)as long as a small amount of pressure towards the the rear/the rider/tank (top/handle/fingers) it usually works fine, and don't make a big deal about it (obviously have to use a little finesse, and not force the issue).

This is not the first bike that i have this issue with (other brands have had the same problem including Aprilia)

Never had these issues with the old 60's/70's bikes, like everything else the change of times in cheaper mass production assembly lines where quality control does not appear to be like it use to.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Been having this too, infrequently, but shortly after I got the bike, the keyway cover got stuck open. I've been meaning to tear it apart and clean it, but...

Anyway, it seems to me that I have to find just the right depth for the key to work, once the pins disengage it turns just fine. So, if it is giving me trouble, I push the key all the way in, and apply very slight torque while slowly pulling back. The big problem I seem to have, when it happens, it actually getting the key in all the way, which leads me to think there's debris occasionally getting in through the keyway.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm fairly confident the problem is with the ignition and not the key, because the key works flawlessly in the gas tank and the back seat. Also the problem only developed recently within the last month or so.

Unfortunately I have gotten caught in a heavy rain recently, so some water must have gone down the key hole, that is inevitable if you ride long distances like me.

After spraying the wd-40 I found this video that says not to use a liquid lubricant because while it may improve things temporarily it may cause things to get worse in the long term. They recommend using some graphite from a pencil:

·
Registered
541 Posts
There are actually graphite specific lubricants that you can get for lock cylinders. They use a volatile solvent with suspended graphite particles, so it's easy to apply, and then when it dries, there's no petrol substrates left over to trap dirt.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Lock smiths often use inox, it's similar to wd40 only better

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dry lubricant

Never use wet lubricant for key holes.
Easy fix is to get a lead pencil and shave the end with a sharpener and insert into the key hole. It's graphite and doesn't attract grime. Keep the key clean.
Problem fixed
Jeffro 👍

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
There are actually graphite specific lubricants that you can get for lock cylinders. They use a volatile solvent with suspended graphite particles, so it's easy to apply, and then when it dries, there's no petrol substrates left over to trap dirt.
We used to get this aerosol can graphite at work for spraying into brass padlock barrels used outside in the weather.
If you buy a can be aware it's a messy product as the spray tends to fly out everywhere when the lock cylinder is full.
The stuff is very stainy on clothing and forms lumps from any drips once the volatile thinner quickly dries out, so spray only a small amount.
You don't need much as the last thing you want to end up is with the lock pins having no air passage to re tract back into when you insert the key.
Prevention is better than cure, as you definitely don't want to snap one of these keys in the ignition lock barrel.

WD40, the W stands for Water and D for Displacement. 40 could be your guess from Viscosity to 40 000 Volt breakdown.
It is refined light Power Transformer oil which is filtered to be very dry and has a lovely perfume added.
It has a high affinity for water, but the water saturates the oil and does not evaporate away, finally ending up as a milky glue.

An yes, I spray WD40 into my Roller Door locks when the key gets too hard to turn after rain, but they are simple open mechanisms not bike locks.

Rob.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had an issue 6 months or so ago with the key seizing in the ignition barrel. After 10 mins of faffing it eventually released, I removed the key cleaned a bit of crud out of the key groove and applied a good squirt of Silkopen - FUCHS Silkolene - Superior Motorcycle Oils Not had any issues since. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a problem with my GF's Honda a while ago. I used compress air in the key hole and graphite base lubricant to lubricate the key (both sides), not the key hole. It's been running fine since

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
i deal with keys and locks thousands of time a year...the dry lubes are useless when keys are hard to turn or hard to insert ...WD works every time.....we have locksmiths also where i work...they say dry lubes but are the first to pull WD out of there bag.....that guy at revzilla using pencil shavings can stick that pencil up his nose...maybe he should ride more

·
Registered
283 Posts
We used to get this aerosol can graphite at work for spraying into brass padlock barrels used outside in the weather.
If you buy a can be aware it's a messy product as the spray tends to fly out everywhere when the lock cylinder is full.
The stuff is very stainy on clothing and forms lumps from any drips once the volatile thinner quickly dries out, so spray only a small amount.
You don't need much as the last thing you want to end up is with the lock pins having no air passage to re tract back into when you insert the key.
Prevention is better than cure, as you definitely don't want to snap one of these keys in the ignition lock barrel.

WD40, the W stands for Water and D for Displacement. 40 could be your guess from Viscosity to 40 000 Volt breakdown.
It is refined light Power Transformer oil which is filtered to be very dry and has a lovely perfume added.
It has a high affinity for water, but the water saturates the oil and does not evaporate away, finally ending up as a milky glue.

An yes, I spray WD40 into my Roller Door locks when the key gets too hard to turn after rain, but they are simple open mechanisms not bike locks.

Rob.

I am pretty sure (ok, positive) that the 40 represents the fact that it was the 40th recipe of water displacement mixture that the tried.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts