GSXS 1000 Forum banner

How many have the light by the ignition lock?

• No light

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes, my bike has the light

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual makes no mention of an immobilizer. Yet a non-chipped key will not work. I had just filled my tank and when I tried the key in the ignition it would not turn in either direction. Tried it several times with no luck. Pushed the bike away from the pumps and still no ignition. Took a break, bought some water and relaxed a bit and went back to the bike. After another 15 minutes of removing and re-inserting the key in either direction, it worked. Kept the bike running until I got to the dealers where of course, it worked perfectly. It hasn't failed since. On line research found a description of a GSX S1000F manual showing an immobilizer circuit which includes a light next to the key which indicates how things are working. This version doesn't appear to lock the key, but disables the starter and ignition via the CPU. My bike appears to lock the switch itself. I can hear a clunk when trying to use the unchipped key.
Has anyone else had a problem like mine? And does anyone have the ignition switch with the function light?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Moto pilot (YouTube) just had similar problems with his and had to get the ignition barrel replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have poured few drops of silicone oil in all the three locks.
It prevents locks to get rusty or blocked.

I think WD-40 can do this job too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The US versions of the bike do not ship from Suzuki w/ the immobilizer circuit and the keys are not chipped.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My key locked up when the bike was new. Ironically I had just stopped at a petrol station on the way to my dealers for the 600 mile service.
I'm pretty sure my problem was too thick a grease in the barrel. After a lot of messing about with key I finally got it to turn and got it to the dealers. I told them about it and after the service they said they had degreased it and cleaned it out.
It's been fine ever since

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mine has the immobiliser, although I have disabled the immobiliser.

But I have regular problems with the key where it just won't turn, nothing to do with the immobiliser, just bad quality key or Lock.

I've just ordered a keyless ignition system which will make life much easier (i disabled the immobiliser to install the keyless ignition)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had mine lock up a few times. It turned out to be fluff from my pocket going into the barrel. I would have to insert and remove the key until it cleared it.
I now wipe the key with my fingers before use.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've just ordered a keyless ignition system which will make life much easier (i disabled the immobiliser to install the keyless ignition)
Please, can you share more info about this gadget? Have you already installed it? How it works? (pros and cons, maybe some pics).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Guys,
The GSXS1000 key is identical except for the chip end to that on the VFR1200F.
The VFR key has a poor reputation for snapping off at the first narrow cut away from the chipped end when twisted under little pressure. My 2 bikes key are identical in this cut in the same spot.
Cheese metal is mentioned a bit in the VFR Riders Forum.
With the VFR with more lock twisting for frequently opened pannier bags, it is suggested that a separate cut key be used for everywhere except the ignition barrel to maximise the Honda OEM ignition key life (hopefully forever).
Once the key snaps off, just hope the bike is on, as you may be able to secure somehow the chipped end near the sensor head or your stuck big time.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Please, can you share more info about this gadget? Have you already installed it? How it works? (pros and cons, maybe some pics).

Thanks.
Not installed yet , only just ordered from the USA - they don't seem to have plug and play version for our bikes.

Basically an RFID fob that turns on when you move, and if you are within 10 feet of the bike you just need to turn on the engine kill button and press the starter, when you stop hit the engine kill and walk away

Link here

·
Registered
13 Posts

But I have regular problems with the key where it just won't turn, nothing to do with the immobiliser, just bad quality key or Lock.

I had a problem trying to turn the key but found that if I push the key down and release it everything is ok. Since then no further problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Hi Paul,

how did you disable the immobiliser?

I've just done the 12k service including balancing the carbs and now the bike wont start. Not getting any light on the immobiliser although the dash lights up. Will have a look again tomorrow and see if I can trace the fault number although I know it has a couple of ICS errors due to the carb balancing and removing the vacuum pipes

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi Paul,

how did you disable the immobiliser?

I've just done the 12k service including balancing the carbs and now the bike wont start. Not getting any light on the immobiliser although the dash lights up. Will have a look again tomorrow and see if I can trace the fault number although I know it has a couple of ICS errors due to the carb balancing and removing the vacuum pipes
How did you manage to balance the Carbs???

To disable the immobilizer i flashed the ECU with a USA Bin file as the Americans don't have immobilizers in their bikes that over writes the part of the ECU that has the immobilizer code, the immobilizer is then ignored and can be removed if you wish to.

If you put into Dealer mode, Code 42 is an immobilizer problem

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
One time this immobiliser issue came up it was because the plastic part that surrounds the key/lock had not been replaced, it was left dangling, it needs to be in situ. Otherwise perhaps a wiring issue?

·
Registered
82 Posts
How did you manage to balance the Carbs???

Well let me correct that and say I balanced the throttle bodies.
Was relatively easy once the air box was removed.

I have a Morgan Carbtune so just connected up the vacum hoses and made the necessary adjustments. Only a minor adjustment was required.

The immobiliser issue rectified when I unplugged the other half of the Woolich harness. I had taken off the SDS plug to connect the OBD tool and the bike didn't like having only half of the Woolich harness plugged in.
All up and running now.

Reactions: bking1441

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well let me correct that and say I balanced the throttle bodies.
Was relatively easy once the air box was removed.

I have a Morgan Carbtune so just connected up the vacum hoses and made the necessary adjustments. Only a minor adjustment was required.

The immobiliser issue rectified when I unplugged the other half of the Woolich harness. I had taken off the SDS plug to connect the OBD tool and the bike didn't like having only half of the Woolich harness plugged in.
All up and running now.
I guessed that was what you mean, just being Sarcastic but glad you got it sorted

·
Registered
51 Posts
My owners manual makes no mention of an immobilizer. Yet a non-chipped key will not work.
And does anyone have the ignition switch with the function light?
This is quite important because I told my insurance company that my bike has a built in immobiliser. Is this not the case? I have the little red light by the ignition, so assumed this meant it does indeed have an immobiliser.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts