GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a device that can be put to protect the ignition switch from being tampered?

Thieves carry devices that act like a master key, (or kids that mess with things) they may not steal the bike but they may ruin the switch by inserting any device. I don't leave my bike in the street even for a few minutes but if I did when going to a store I wish I could lock the ignition switch from being exposed to insert a device.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is there a device that can be put to protect the ignition switch from being tampered?

Thieves carry devices that act like a master key, (or kids that mess with things) they may not steal the bike but they may ruin the switch by inserting any device. I don't leave my bike in the street even for a few minutes but if I did when going to a store I wish I could lock the ignition switch from being exposed to insert a device.

You could install a keyless ignition and remove it altogether. There is no specific unit for our model but the universal works fine. There may also be other manufacturers of these type of devices.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! this is even better than what I was thinking. A bike without a traditional switch. Great, thanks Cainus83.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am interested in the keyless switch too. Has anybody on this forum already installed it?

279 is kinda steep though, I wonder if there are other cheaper options.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Someone did, I think it might have been Pirate Paul.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am interested in the keyless switch too. Has anybody on this forum already installed it?

This is what I thought also. At $50 (minimum 3,000 x 50 = $150,000) they could sale thousands, but at $279 they may sale 10 (279 x 10 = $2,790).
You don't become a millionaire by selling a product for $1 million dollars; you become a successful seller by selling a product for $1 dollar to billions of people.
You benefit everybody with your product and everybody makes you reach.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Keyless ignition won't activate your steering lock.
I guess if you haven't got the Suzuki immobilizer fitted like in the USA then it might be worth it tho'.

Reactions: Barstewardsquad

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a keyless ignition on my Ducati Diavel and it was the only thing I disliked about that bike. In fact I detested it. You have to take your gloves off and fish it out of your pocket to unlock the gas cap. And due to interference issues it was very hit or miss at bank drive thrus and gas pumps. It’s embarrassing to have to push your 20k bike away from the pump or thru the drive thru in order to get the ignition to turn on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a keyless ignition on my Ducati Diavel and it was the only thing I disliked about that bike. In fact I detested it. You have to take your gloves off and fish it out of your pocket to unlock the gas cap. And due to interference issues it was very hit or miss at bank drive thrus and gas pumps. It’s embarrassing to have to push your 20k bike away from the pump or thru the drive thru in order to get the ignition to turn on.
I can understand. Because of your experience I guess it is better like it is now. I don't like the idea that the steering is not locked up. Any one can just walk out the bike in 30 seconds.
Mechanical thinks don't get along with electric stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think a toggle switch would be better than the crappie OEM. Did it again, can't turn it on, usual thing wiggle the key around, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes all day. I'd say the fault is that the lock is set down in a hole so all of the dirt and other **** collects in there and when you insert the key you also push **** down into the lock. Very bad design

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
steering lock is useless one hard kick to the bars breaks the lock usually damage the frame ..then its a total loss disk lock is a better option if they want the bike,its picked up and placed in a van,,,,if worryed that much about your bike being stolen,,,place a covid mask over ignition

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have had loads of problems as have others with the not being able to turn the key especially when the steering lock is on so I never put it on, if someone wants your bike the steering lock aint gonna stop em

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have had loads of problems as have others with the not being able to turn the key especially when the steering lock is on so I never put it on, if someone wants your bike the steering lock aint gonna stop em
But it might slow them down, keyless ignition won't stop em either.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Regarding problems with the key, occasionally mine would stick right at the point of entry if it wasn't quite straight/vertical. I blunted the end with a file and that cured it.

Reactions: LEAVEITSTOCK

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that the key has a side that goes in better, I made a red mark on the side that goes in, now goes in every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts