GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been happy with the Brakes on the GSXS - in theory should be great with Brembos but for me no bite and not confidence inspiring

Today
  • New Brembo Levers with Radial Master Cylinder
  • HEL brake lines
  • EBC HH brake pads
Huge improvement - more bite, firmer lever, more confidence

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
My guess would be the ABS unit would release line pressure so how much flex is in the lines or how that pressure is applied wouldn't make a difference? But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought the problem was the uprated master cylinder would overpower the valves in the ABS unit? Might be wrong

Hadn't thought of that. That would **** up the ABS! Maybe look at which other bikes use the same ABS unit and which masters they use?

Edit: sorry to jump on your thread PhuketPaul. Sweet looking setup, I'm sure it feels much better and I'm sure the bosch ABS is up to the task :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Gixerkev, you are on the right track.

What matters is the relationship of the pistons (brake calipers) and the piston int he master cylinder.

The calipers here use 4 32mm pistons. Of course, its times two because theres a right and left caliper.

I would be pretty confident that if these two were matched up properly, it would not put any extra stress on the abs unit.

I could tell you how I did all kinds of sophisticated math formulas to do this, or I could say I copied what brembo recommended, and found a ducat master cylinder to complete it with.

On this caliper and master cylinder set up (stock) its not bad, at all. The stock brake pads are very mild. Ebc are ok, but Vesrah makes a far better pad for this caliper.

If you use something like this, you wont need a master cylinder. Sure, it would be nice, but you dont need it.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=689

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ducati's which always get great reviews for their brakes use the same Bosch ABS, same callipers and the brembo radial master cylinder.

They feel much better now
You bought the good brembo master, didn't you? Yours is the rcs 19, isn't it?

If so, which setting do you like best?

I bought a used mastercylinder, form ebay, and it was a Ducati take off.

Perfect ratio for what I need, but not adjustable , likeyours.

·
Registered
328 Posts
those brembos oem from ducati, ktm , yamaha , triumph
are semi radial master btw ;)
also rcs are ok , sure the normal 19x20 is better as the pin of piston gonna work straight

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
450 Posts
those brembos oem from ducati, ktm , yamaha , triumph
are semi radial master btw ;)
also rcs are ok , sure the normal 19x20 is better as the pin of piston gonna work straight
Yes, correct. I used a semi-radial from a 1198 sp. Not that I was in love with that semi radial design, but it was 150.00, shipped, from ebay.

Its an 18x19 , fixed, but works very well in this application.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi rcannon, if I don't do track, should Vesrah RJL-XX sufficient or the SS is superior and the higher cost worth for street use. Thanks.
Gixerkev, you are on the right track.

What matters is the relationship of the pistons (brake calipers) and the piston int he master cylinder.

The calipers here use 4 32mm pistons. Of course, its times two because theres a right and left caliper.

I would be pretty confident that if these two were matched up properly, it would not put any extra stress on the abs unit.

I could tell you how I did all kinds of sophisticated math formulas to do this, or I could say I copied what brembo recommended, and found a ducat master cylinder to complete it with.

On this caliper and master cylinder set up (stock) its not bad, at all. The stock brake pads are very mild. Ebc are ok, but Vesrah makes a far better pad for this caliper.

If you use something like this, you wont need a master cylinder. Sure, it would be nice, but you dont need it.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=689

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great question...I dont think you need the xx version.

For sure, you want the street grade. Full race pads are awesome under the right condition, but not for street.

Right now, here is what I would order. Its a new pad, from Vesrah.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=782&osCsid=hur1tpfh2jn9beie7d35s6l8r4

The track oriented pads offer incredible stopping power, when HOT.

I had a set of race pads for my sv 650. They were great after the fifth stop, but before that (too cool), forget it! On a cool day, they might never get up to temp.

Right now, I have the 9031RJL, and it is a great pad. Like this: You do have to order two sets, but its well worth it.

Here is what i have, and I love them. I do believe that pad I mentioned before will be even better.

Vesrah VD 9031RJL Sinter Racing Brake Pads Front for Suzuki GSX R750 2011 2012 | eBay

This pad, in and of itself, is worth far more than a set of stainless lines. Judge its cost more like that.

Here is how good the Vesrah pads are as compared to Galfer, ebc, stock, sbs, ref, DP, etc....I've tried all of these.

The caliper on my concours 14 takes 4 pads, per caliper, and is priced as such. Figure 200.00 for both sides, and i'm spending the extra for vesrah.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, that is correct with regards to the pad fitment. Its a common pad. Some Ducati and Aprilia use it as well. No excuse for not finding exactly what you want to use.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, that is correct with regards to the pad fitment. Its a common pad. Some Ducati and Aprilia use it as well. No excuse for not finding exactly what you want to use.
Do you use any particular procedure for bedding in the pads?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't see a problem with the brakes but admit that the lever ratio chosen could have been a bit more aggressive....Nissin make good master cylinders.
Its a 19mm radial master with an integrated reservoir BUT Suzuki spec pads which are constantly average at best throughout the years.

Pad choices for me are Ferodo, Mintex or SBS at affordable prices...don't like EBC as I find over time their bite drops off as the pads wears.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm wanting to do something to get more grab in the front. I use 2 fingers when braking - the front doesn't feel strong and I end up compensating with the rear (which isn't really good). And this is after moving the reservoir in as far as I can get it, so I'm grabbing a little farther out on the lever. With 4 fingers it doesn't feel too bad...

I'm torn between the EBC H-H (which people seem to like here), the EBC EPFA or the Vesrah RJL. I have the bike over 100mph a lot so I don't want something that's gonna constantly glaze up.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts