GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My mother recently gave me a GSX-R1000K4 that she kept from her previous divorce. Apparently the guy rebuilt bikes as a hobby and this was his main bike. She said it has like $10k in upgrades which may be an exaggeration.
Anyway, bike has been sitting for like 2 years. Engine does not start. When the key is turned, lights come on but no start when button is pushed. Might be a starter idk.
I'm an electrician by trade but I'm not versed in cars or motorcycles. My question is where do I begin? Is there a basic troubleshoot routine for a bike that doesn't start? With my little experience is tearing the bike to the frame and rebuilding it a bad idea?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Err, not wishing to sound rude, but you know this is a GSX-S forum don't you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Get a bike mechanic to give it a quick go over, prob minor issue anyway.
For a few bucks spent it's better than wasting time on something you have no knowledge on.
Would require a proper service anyway after sitting around that long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi, you say you don't know much about bikes, have you pulled clutch in when trying to start , even in neutral.?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Im an electrician too, it shouldn't be that hard.;)
All you need is a manual, wiring diagram and a bit of knowledge.

First, you need the fuel pump to prime, if that's not happening nothing will. You also need to know the clutch, neutral, sidestand switches and kill switch all come into play before that can happen.

Or you could say, it's worth about £3-4K how about sticking it in a garage and getting a quote. It might be £2-300 to get it fixed but that's still a good return on your investment.

Your choice Buddy.Difficult to advise when we don't know how confident/competent you are with bikes.

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Have you ridden before? This gsxr you have might be worth 4 grand, if running. Its an excellent 3rd or 4th bike to move up to. Without abs and traction control, its all up to you and you had better be ready.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts