GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Zuki owners, new member here haven't got the bike yet but I'm going to check one out in the morning. Is there anything special I should be looking for on this model year? It currently has 5,000 miles and from the pics looks to be in pristine condition owned by a 56 year old who's the original owner. I thank you gentlemen for any input you may have. Gene

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Sounds like it could be a great pick-up. I'd test ride it and see how much it suffers from snatchy throttle, but mine doesn't and some others do so it seems hit or miss. Even if it does, there are solutions galore on here (including, but not limited to bizarre incantations and potions).
Buy it, ride it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I came from a 2008 Busa.
But now I have a 2015/16(I forget as it still feels like new with 18,000km)
Only issue was snatchy throttle. It was a big deal in the beginning when we didn't know what was going on.
However, As mentioned by Mike D, with the shared resources and experimentation, we have found solutions. Most notably is the TPS adjustment. Costs nothing to do and an easy job.
Suspension is very sensitive to adjustments so if it rides harsh, don't worry about it too much. It has big a big adjustability range.
That's about it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just because it was owned by a 56 year old don't mean it ain't been thrashed, I can vouch for that.;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only thing I'd look out for is that it actually has ABS. It was an option, and early on, there were many confused dealers incorrectly selling them as ABS. The slotted rings on the wheels are not the indicator of ABS (they're used for traction control). Easiest way to know is if there is an 'ABS' light on the bottom left row of lights on the instrument panel. Non-ABS models don't have the light at all.

In general, these bikes are relatively bulletproof. It's a proven motor. Assuming the bike has been maintained, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one used. As others have said, give it a test ride first. If everything feels right, go for it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 72 and I thrash mine around quite a bit. I bought a 16 leftover F this year. Desperately needs a re flash. Dano's did mine. A ton smoother and takes about half the engine break out. Also I went to an 18 countershaft but that's just me. After the ECU fix you'll love it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The last bike I bought used was my 2001 FZ1.The bike had less than 1000 miles on it so I knew I was looking something good. I looked at the guys garage, tools neatly arranged bench nice and clean. The other side he had his dirt bikes on a trailer ready to go with his leathers neatly hung up. So looking around I can tell this guy took care of his stuff, that kinda helped me make my decision..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep his garage was spotless and organized as well as his home and yard and then he was very well-groomed. LOL the bike is almost immaculate just a few little cat scratches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts