GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't justify spending almost $400 on name brand mirrors and levers, so I spent $40 and accepted that I might have to put in some handy work :)

The levers were really cheap, like $22, and I didn't expect them to be perfect. They actually look very good! The fit was not perfect, however.

The clutch lever is a bit too narrow, so it has some slop. I cut up some plastic and squished it in around the bushing and now it's perfect.

The brake lever was actually too thick, so the lever wouldn't return upon release fast enough. It had a little ridge that was in the way. I sanded it down with some 80 grit sand paper I had laying around and it's good now. However, even with the lever adjusted all the way out, I found that I have to pull the lever quite far before it actuates the brake... Which is odd, because I can see it moving the master cylinder right away. I will deal with it for now, but it's definitely not optimal. As long as I make sure to use my 3 middle fingers to brake, I can still brake hard, it's just a little uncomfortably close to the bar.

As for the mirrors, they were also very cheap, $17 for the pair including hardware. They look pretty good, but don't have as much adjustability as the CRG mirrors have and they stick out a bit more. Keep in mind, they cost 1/10th of the price, though... Anyway, the left mirror works GREAT - it's steady, doesn't vibrate, and I can see WAY MORE than I could with the stock mirrors. These mirrors have a slight convexity to them, so you can see about 2x more side-to-side compared to the stock ones. That, combined with them being further out, means you can see a LOT more. IMO, it is spot-on. I included a picture of the stock mirrors and the new ones both mounted, so you can see the difference in zoom.

edit: I took the glass off of the mirror and tightened up the screws. It works great now.

The issue with these mirrors is on the right side. My right side mirror isn't mounted tight enough and it vibrates and shakes at speed (the actual mirror itself, mounted to the little arm with 2 screws). These screws are underneath the glass, so I will have to take the glass off to tighten them... Haven't gotten around to it yet, as I don't have any double sided tape laying around.
I do feel a bit more vibes through my hands now after removing those hefty bar end weights, but it's only noticeable at higher revs on the highway, and my hands are NOT numb when I get off after a ride.

BTW, I tried to flip the stock mirror mounts upside down to hide the screw holes, but the left mount cannot be flipped. The hole for the bar is not centered between the screw holes, so it only fits one way.

See the attached pictures for more details and I will also put links below.

Levers: Gold Short Durable CNC Clutch Brake Levers Set Suzuki GSX S1000 F ABS 2015 2016 | eBay

Mirrors: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Kawasaki-Davidson/dp/B00HFHMUAO

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
in relation to the clutch lever did you remove the collar from the OEM lever where the nut passes through and place it into your new lever?

I installed some similar levers and noticed you have to take the hollow shaft from the original lever and put it into these to make it less floppy (did I just say that)

No idea about the brake lever though as i just made sure the nipple on the brake master cylinder lined up with the recess on the lever as mine originally pulled at a bit of an angle rather than straight down.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in relation to the clutch lever did you remove the collar from the OEM lever where the nut passes through and place it into your new lever?

I installed some similar levers and noticed you have to take the hollow shaft from the original lever and put it into these to make it less floppy (did I just say that)

No idea about the brake lever though as i just made sure the nipple on the brake master cylinder lined up with the recess on the lever as mine originally pulled at a bit of an angle rather than straight down.
Yes, I did move the bushing from the old clutch over to the new one. The slop that I mentioned was just due to the fact that the lever itself wasn't quite thick enough, which allowed the outer part of the lever to move up and down. I guess if the bushing was really tight, it would reduce that as well, but it's just mostly tight (good enough).

My MC nipple is indeed pushed into the recess. I suppose it's just the geometry of the lever that makes that recess further away than the stock one.

I was leaning towards blue levers at first but I do like the way the gold look. Nice job.
Thank you! I thought the gold might be too flashy, but it matches the forks well enough, and I think it looks great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldn't justify spending almost $400 on name brand mirrors and levers, so I spent $40 and accepted that I might have to put in some handy work

The levers were really cheap, like $22, and I didn't expect them to be perfect. They actually look very good! The fit was not perfect, however.

The clutch lever is a bit too narrow, so it has some slop. I cut up some plastic and squished it in around the bushing and now it's perfect.

The brake lever was actually too thick, so the lever wouldn't return upon release fast enough. It had a little ridge that was in the way. I sanded it down with some 80 grit sand paper I had laying around and it's good now. However, even with the lever adjusted all the way out, I found that I have to pull the lever quite far before it actuates the brake... Which is odd, because I can see it moving the master cylinder right away. I will deal with it for now, but it's definitely not optimal. As long as I make sure to use my 3 middle fingers to brake, I can still brake hard, it's just a little uncomfortably close to the bar.

As for the mirrors, they were also very cheap, $17 for the pair including hardware. They look pretty good, but don't have as much adjustability as the CRG mirrors have and they stick out a bit more. Keep in mind, they cost 1/10th of the price, though... Anyway, the left mirror works GREAT - it's steady, doesn't vibrate, and I can see WAY MORE than I could with the stock mirrors. These mirrors have a slight convexity to them, so you can see about 2x more side-to-side compared to the stock ones. That, combined with them being further out, means you can see a LOT more. IMO, it is spot-on. I included a picture of the stock mirrors and the new ones both mounted, so you can see the difference in zoom.

edit: I took the glass off of the mirror and tightened up the screws. It works great now.

The issue with these mirrors is on the right side. My right side mirror isn't mounted tight enough and it vibrates and shakes at speed (the actual mirror itself, mounted to the little arm with 2 screws). These screws are underneath the glass, so I will have to take the glass off to tighten them... Haven't gotten around to it yet, as I don't have any double sided tape laying around.
I do feel a bit more vibes through my hands now after removing those hefty bar end weights, but it's only noticeable at higher revs on the highway, and my hands are NOT numb when I get off after a ride.

BTW, I tried to flip the stock mirror mounts upside down to hide the screw holes, but the left mount cannot be flipped. The hole for the bar is not centered between the screw holes, so it only fits one way.

Levers: Gold Short Durable CNC Clutch Brake Levers Set Suzuki GSX S1000 F ABS 2015 2016 | eBay

Mirrors: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Kawasaki-Davidson/dp/B00HFHMUAO
I couldn't justify spending almost $400 on name brand mirrors and levers, so I spent $40 and accepted that I might have to put in some handy work

Hey mate do this mirror need tools to flip them or can u flip them by hand. I have the fixed one which i absolutely love but really annoying when i am lane spliting through signal lights. I was hoping to get these one's and flip them while i am lane splitting through.

Cheers

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
True, but if you know how they live over there you'd see an entire family living in an efficacy apartment with the rooms so small that their toilet bowl (squatting hole) is inside their shower stall and their fold down bed is in their kitchen. These people don't mind living like this one bit. They are like ants in an ant hill. Millions of tiny ants crawling all over each other for survival. These ants crawl all over each other and find a way to sell these items for practically nothing just so they can buy rice and crickets to survive and take ****s into a hold in the floor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey mate do this mirror need tools to flip them or can u flip them by hand. I have the fixed one which i absolutely love but really annoying when i am lane spliting through signal lights. I was hoping to get these one's and flip them while i am lane splitting through.

Cheers
The mirrors I linked do have little hinges so that they can be folded easily (just like the CRG lanesplitters). That said, the hinges are pretty poor quality and I wouldn't trust them to fold more than a few dozen times without degrading the hinge and becoming loose. You can actually tighten or loosen the hinge with an Allen wrench so that it's either locked or fold-able.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to update this post.

I really wasn't happy with the actuation point of the brake lever, so I ordered different ones (Ride It brand, from amazon, since they have a pretty good rep). These are functionally perfect, exactly like stock, with the added adjustability. The downside is that they are more yellow-y than the forks so they don't match too well.

I also got new mirrors because I didn't like how far out the ebay ones stood. It made lane splitting significantly harder. I found a mirror called "Oberon" that I really like because you can mount it two different ways. I found a copy of these mirrors on aliexpress for $25 and installed them last weekend. They quality is quite good and the function is great. They look awesome (no exposed hardware whatsoever). And most importantly, they are way more narrow than the ebay mirrors. You can adjust them to be as close as you want. I have them adjusted so that I have a little bit of wiggle room between the mirror and the outside of my hand on the bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah they look good. Funny this thread should pop back up because the glass blew out of the mirror on the highway last night. Piece of junk. I'm glad it didn't happen while on a 3,000 mile trip. I'll never buy Japanese junk again. LOL!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can you share the links for the levers and the mirror? Thanks.

Wanted to update this post.

I really wasn't happy with the actuation point of the brake lever, so I ordered different ones (Ride It brand, from amazon, since they have a pretty good rep). These are functionally perfect, exactly like stock, with the added adjustability. The downside is that they are more yellow-y than the forks so they don't match too well.

I also got new mirrors because I didn't like how far out the ebay ones stood. It made lane splitting significantly harder. I found a mirror called "Oberon" that I really like because you can mount it two different ways. I found a copy of these mirrors on aliexpress for $25 and installed them last weekend. They quality is quite good and the function is great. They look awesome (no exposed hardware whatsoever). And most importantly, they are way more narrow than the ebay mirrors. You can adjust them to be as close as you want. I have them adjusted so that I have a little bit of wiggle room between the mirror and the outside of my hand on the bar.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you share the links for the levers and the mirror? Thanks.
Levers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SWTN21U
Mirrors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-CNC-Bar-End-Mirrors-Universal-Oberon-black-Streetfighter-7-8-Bar-End-Mirror-for-YAMAHA/673043423.html

FWIW, both the levers and mirrors have faded a lot already from sun exposure. The levers are now a light yellow and the mirrors are kind of a metallic looking brown. Hard to justify spending 6x more money, but at the same time I'm surprised they've faded this quickly...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mirrors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-CNC-Bar-End-Mirrors-Universal-Oberon-black-Streetfighter-7-8-Bar-End-Mirror-for-YAMAHA/673043423.html

FWIW, both the levers and mirrors have faded a lot already from sun exposure. The levers are now a light yellow and the mirrors are kind of a metallic looking brown. Hard to justify spending 6x more money, but at the same time I'm surprised they've faded this quickly...
I warned people of this a few months ago, I've had Chinese levers going back to 2009 on various bikes.
The metallic brownish colour will eventually fade even more to a titanium colour, which does look better (took 4 years though).
At the end of the day they function exactly the same so great if you don't care or use them on a track bike.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks. I've ordered the black levers, chose the grey one to minimize the fading but it will take them 3 weeks to ship so I got the black which will be served by Amazon.
I'm totally fine with stock levers' look, just need something adjustable to accommodate my short fingers for the brake. Hope this will help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts