GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always intended to go full exhaust on my GSXS in order to improve the midrange gap, but in the late stages of the phuk it paul fiasco I decided to trade the GSXS in on a new GSXR1000 and leave it's exhaust stock along with the nice promo Yoshi slip on that came with it.

Definitely a performance upgrade, but I must say it's not too exciting in the mid range either, despite the variable valve timing PR. Really hauls at high end though.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind keeping it and getting another GSXS for longer rides, the gsxs is so user friendly for me as I deeply enter the golden years.

So are you really pleased with the full exhaust/flash or would you not bother now that you have had the experience? I'm especially interested in the M4 with a different can, and I know some encountered a glitch or two.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did full M4 exhaust, Dano flash, O2 & pair delete all at once around 1000 miles(2016 leftover I bought in the spring). Wouldn't go back to stock for anything. The ONLY thing I miss is the induction sound. Shortly after I dropped to a +3 rear sprocket <<< best mod out of all of them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love my full exhaust mostly for sound people hear me moving down the road and cars look for me, some times, most of them are dumb asses, but I haven’t done a flash just yet as I ride my bike to much and hate the thought of it going down and I also want a dyno tune so I’ll have to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also I take down the new 2019 ZX10R in the corners even some Ducati V4’s but straights they can take me out easy I still wouldn’t want to get a sports bike only got to keep the gsxs it’s so comfortable even the rides to work are great

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah fitted yoshimura headers as the bike came wih r11 can (plus at the time i was still flush with cash). But if i had to do it now I'd go for Black Widow or Lextek both 4-2-1 but lextek comes with lifetime warranty in the uk. I'd save £100's . The weight saving helps with any decat method.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The stock set up is like putting a cork in the performance. Emissions and noise restrictions. A motor needs to breath, a full system is a basic upgrade for increased performance, combined with a flash. It is a completely different bike with these two mods.

However, I did experience the same mid range flat spot with the Arrow headers. Can’t speak for the M4 but seems closest to Paul’s design, which eliminated the flat spot.

I would never keep a bike stock. I’m very happy with these mods, and IMO they are a must, if you want to experience the true potential of the motor, what it was truly designed for before it got strangled.

Edit:

I must add that finding a Slip On for the 50mm header outlet has been a grind. There are very few available. Ask me, I know!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I must add that finding a Slip On for the 50mm header outlet has been a grind. There are very few available. Ask me, I know!

Got to tell you - I love the Holsehot 10" Bad Boy. Fits the 50mm perfectly and comes with the link pipe.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would certainly do it all again, except for the Paul fiasco. Never will Paypal again as a friend to someone I don't know and fully trust.

Anyway, love the m4 headers, but added a link pipe and a Yoshi can. I wish there were other slip-ons available for the M4 headers w/o all the hassle of fabricating your own, but it is what it is.

Incredibly, my fuel mileage has also gone up...a lot. I used to get around 38mpg (mixed riding) and now it's right at 50mpg. And that's checking the actual miles and gallons used, not just using the computer generated figures.

For me, more than anything, I just enjoy change and working on my bike, so it's been fun.

Finally took off the throttle tamer tonight that I had installed along with the PCV when I first got the bike, and now that the throttle is a little edgier, I kinda like it.

Did I mention it sounds wicked at WOT?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Incredibly, my fuel mileage has also gone up...a lot. I used to get around 38mpg (mixed riding) and now it's right at 50mpg. And that's checking the actual miles and gallons used, not just using the computer generated figures.
That's very encouraging info, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had a full exhaust on my 16

I left the OEM exhaust on my 18 though I did flash the ECU.... my 18 is smoother.... The 16 felt a touch faster at the top end, **** it easily could be just a feeling since the bike is genuinely smoother

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if there are any more STG special deals left for the M4 system, can some one PM to let me know the deal price ?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah fitted yoshimura headers as the bike came wih r11 can (plus at the time i was still flush with cash). But if i had to do it now I'd go for Black Widow or Lextek both 4-2-1 but lextek comes with lifetime warranty in the uk. I'd save £100's . The weight saving helps with any decat method.
I also fitted the yoshi headers as mine came.with the R11 can too, and i gotta say i love it..of course the baffle also fel out as i was riding along...ahem...
With yoshi you know you getting quaity stuff which is why i stuck with it also had mine mapped at P3 tuning in liverpool and i gotta say i love the bike even more..it sounds nuts and at full chat and deep up the rev range....

·
Registered
698 Posts
I also fitted the yoshi headers as mine came.with the R11 can too, and i gotta say i love it..of course the baffle also fel out as i was riding along...ahem...
With yoshi you know you getting quaity stuff which is why i stuck with it also had mine mapped at P3 tuning in liverpool and i gotta say i love the bike even more..it sounds nuts and at full chat and deep up the rev range....
GixxerLee, do you get any surging at idle with the baffle out?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I put the baffle back in my M4 but modified it by cutting off the flat cap end. Studder, judder bug I had at 1800-2500 rpms all but gone. Barely detectable now. I contacted Dano about how his flash was done with or without a baffle in the M4. When he hesitated to answer me I suspected it was done with baffle in. Common sense prevailed on this since not many if any like the loud pipe with it out however on a track this would be the preferred way to use this pipe. With the baffle modified I get a little more flow, added back pressure it needed with the tune on the ecu and it is not too loud but loud enough. Idle is smooth no pulsating but it really had very little pulsating to begin with with baffle out. The thing that irritates me about this tune is the idle is slow to drop when I pull up to a stop or blip the throttle.I know he elevated my idle ever so slightly which I wish he had not. I somehow feel this is a tuners way of getting past the anti stall feature these bikes have in which the idle does elevate once the clutch is let out. FTECU told me they couldn't figure out how to eliminate that out of the ECU. My mileage average is a unrealistic 48 mpg now ridden sane. About 40-42 mpg ridden crazy. Baffle in was the answer to my studder, judder bug throttle issue I was having on this tune. Back pressure down low. It still pulls off the bottom end pretty good lost a little zip in its step but I can live with it. Don't know about up top I rarely zip it up top in the higher gears, too hard to hang onto with it being a S.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Roy, I have the ECU that you sold me, at Dano's right now. He's bumping up the idle and adding a little fuel in up to around 4k rpm. Hopefully it will help with the surging I get from riding with no baffle in the Yoshi. However, I might try doing what you did and cut off the end of the M4 baffle with my current ECU and see if that changes anything. How much louder is yours now and I wonder what cutting off more than just the end will do?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts