GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously considering buying an s1000f but after reading all the issues with the snatchy throttle, flat spot in the 5000 rpm range, etc., and all the after market add-ons and adjustments that need to be made to overcome the problem, I'm sure I want to buy one. I know most of you are diehard Suzuki owners and I don't mean to offend anyone, but are the problems with these bikes as bad as they seem? Are there as many problems with say the Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha naked 1000, or the Ninja 1000?

·
Registered
694 Posts
All I did was have my ecu flashed, no more throttle issue. Along with many others, I have the naked, not faired bike but same engine, same everything. like 200 dollars done deal. worth it. unlocks some other features as well though. Did mine with 4 miles on my bike, I disliked the throttle from the test ride, but I knew it would be fixed, and it was with the flash.

You should decide though if you buy the bike and decide to get a flash if you are going to do changes like an exhaust, full or slip on, catted, or decat, as the person will flash it to those specifications in mind.

I personally used danos perf. theres other options, or you can pay for a woolwich kit and do it yourself. Im lazy, and would rather someone do it that knows what they are doing. turned out great for me and several others here

bottom of page.
https://www.danosperformance.com/ECU Flashing.htm

theres a member here Phuket Paul put together a info site for gsxs owners.
https://gsx-s.info

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agree with FP. I used Dano's also and he sorted any issues out for $190. I'm not a die hard Suzuki fan but it is a sweet ride. I sold my FZ-09 after three years and the throttle on that was way worse than the S1000. I also own a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and there a no throttle issues. Don't know about Kawasaki. My GXS is so smooth to shift and to ride now it never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
im all stock, enjoy every ride on this machine...smooth fast and quick and ride all day long....every forum honda kawasaki yamaha all talk about problems,,,,if you keep reading about all the so called problems ,,you wont buy any machine ....if you buy another make and get a chance to run against a gsxs....you will be wondering where the flat spot is everyone talks about...it will eat you for lunch......bike is a blast and is king of its class in stock form.....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think these bikes are fantastic completely stock. I didn't have any snatchy throttle. The flat spot? meh... most bikes have a dip in the torque curve or loose it on one end or the other. It definitely can not even be considered "a problem" in my estimation. You can worry about those things and spend a buttload of money "fixing" them, or do what @LEAVEITSTOCK and I do. Ride and enjoy. ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree with the others who have posted, these are awesome bikes as stock, yes they can be made better (or personalised depending on your viewpoint) like any other bike.

I don't think there is any bike available that I wouldn't want to modify to suit me.

Look at any forum on any bike and its mostly about problems, issues or modifications - there is only so many times you can write about how good your bike is.....

If I was to buy another bike today I don't think there is another bike available that I would prefer to the GSXS1000F (Well maybe the Kawasaki H2 SX SE+ if it could lose 50Kg)

·
Registered
834 Posts
.you will be wondering where the flat spot is everyone talks about...it will eat you for lunch......bike is a blast and is king of its class in stock form.....
Trust me, I have a very pronounced flat spot between 5-7,000 rpm. You may not have it but others do. When accelerating hard, once I pass about 7,000, it's like another cylinder kicks in. You can get it smoothed out like others have said through a flash and I plan to do that soon. In the mean time, I just try to keep it about 7,000!!

Still an awesome bike. So awesome in fact, I sold my 2016 and regretted it terribly. Eight months later I bough another. :laugh:

Ron

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Trust me, I have a very pronounced flat spot between 5-7,000 rpm. You may not have it but others do. When accelerating hard, once I pass about 7,000, it's like another cylinder kicks in. You can get it smoothed out like others have said through a flash and I plan to do that soon. In the mean time, I just try to keep it about 7,000!!

Still an awesome bike. So awesome in fact, I sold my 2016 and regretted it terribly. Eight months later I bough another. :laugh:

Ron
Well maybe it's the altitude I'm at or just the variation from bike to bike but my bike does performs admirably. When people talk about torque "flat" is a desirable trait. The GXS has a slight dip between 4.5 and 6.5 K , and if I try really hard, I notice it. Keep in mind, I'm not a track guy, but I've ridden a lot of road bikes and it just seems like a non-issue to me. There are plenty of torque/power graphs out there for every bike made, so anyone can see for themselves, compare, and judge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Having wrestled to turn mine from a pig to a stallion, I would say till Suzuki wake up and sort out a decent rear suspension and the snatchy throttle saga, maybe follow the defectors and get the BMW naked or the Yamaha MT10 SP; the latter is a bargain for what you get. One day, Suzuki will fix this bike, but until then, it is like marrying a bitch

·
Registered
694 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy my motorcycle, I sold my 2013 GSXR 750 once I got the gsxs1000. Its more power, more comfort, its different, not a lot of them out there. Depending on your color choices, I think the colors are really pretty. Easy to work on, the throttle snatch is cured for 180 bucks via flash.

Everything else like mentioned is clothes you want to put on it. I put new mirrors, levers, radiator guard, etc. stupid stuff, not needed, but I wanted it. I also got like 1500 off msrp though, so deals can be had as he mentioned, they are sitting on showrooms ready for a good price. I prob could of gotten 500 more off if I waited but I wanted it during summer.

18's have a slipper clutch, 15/16/17's dont. but that shouldnt sway you really, would be useful on the track, you shouldnt be slamming down gears at high speeds on road anyway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
it is like marrying a bitch
but who cares if u think she looks good

got my low milage 17 yesterday and first bolt, exhaust cat cover, snapped, did I cry, no. Reminded me of my GT185 when tightening up the exhaust manifold a chuck of the crappy alloy cylinder broke off, these were good times so happy memories, plus I probably prefer working on bikes more than riding them now, weird I know but true.
They are a bit crap but cheap and a lot of go for your buck, going back out to my garage to drill out the bolt, will put some old school punk on, fun.

·
Registered
891 Posts
maybe follow the defectors and get the BMW naked or the Yamaha MT10 SP; the latter is a bargain for what you get.
One of those spends most of it's time in the shop and the other at gas stations. I'll keep my sorted out Suzuki. Got mine for a steal, fixed the main problem for free, and a couple hundred $$$ more to fix the other issues and I'm still way under what either of those would have cost. To me the Suzuki is the bargain for what you get.

·
Registered
333 Posts
One of those spends most of it's time in the shop and the other at gas stations. I'll keep my sorted out Suzuki. Got mine for a steal, fixed the main problem for free, and a couple hundred $$$ more to fix the other issues and I'm still way under what either of those would have cost. To me the Suzuki is the bargain for what you get.
Agreed. The MT-10 SP gets 29 MPG (advertised 8 l/100km). I couldn't forgive myself if I bought a bike that gets way less fuel economy than my car. And the BMW is overpriced IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the great information and insight. It's really good to hear everyone's opinions. Sounds like the snatchy throttle is the primary issue and that is easily solved. I currently ride a 2013 k1300s and have owned several other BMWs in the past 15 years, so I am no stranger to having to fix endemic issues with specific bike models. My biggest issue with one of my previous bikes was actually the snatchiness of the throttle, which was especically annoying when going back on throttle half way through a turn. Good to know that if I end up with a s1000 that has that problem it can be rectified easily. FYI - the main reasons I'm looking at this bike are that I want a lighter, more nimble bike that doesn't have all the high tech electronic gizmos that the BMWs have. Those things are cool but cause the price of purchase to be high and are really expensive when they malfunction. I'm getting tired of forking out a lot of $$ to fix things that I don't really care that much about, like electronic shock adjustment. The ABS failed on one of my BMWs and it was unrepairable. BMW wanted $2200 for the unit and the shop wanted $900 to do the repair work. So I ended up converting it to a non-ABS bike and just road it without issues or concerns. With that said though, I really like the k1300s for touring and sporty riding and it's been a pretty reliable and comfortable machine. But again, it's not nearly as nimble as I suspect the Suzuki to be and besides I'm looking for a sport bike that is relatively comfortable. Again, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
“I'm looking for a sport bike that is relatively comfortable” ...

That says it all.

That’s why I bought this bike. Also looked at MT-10, Kawi Z1000 and Aprillia Tuono. I didn’t want to pay for all the electronics that I didn’t need on the Tuono, I always put a full exhaust system on a bike, so the Z1000 without the quad pipes would just be blah, and the GSXS our performs it, the MT-10 was a lot more money, finally the deal I got on a left over ‘17 was too good to pass up. Spent a couple grand on suspension, tires, brakes, exhaust, gearing and ECU and now it’s bad ass. I would’ve done the same on any bike. The only complaint I have is the close ratio tranny.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Radiofun, the GSX-S1000 throttle issue IS fixable. It is great for all you specified. I love my naked GSX-S because it's just a raw motorcycle without a lot of the bells and whistles. Great fun. It's also a fantastic addition to a garage that already houses a sport touring bike. My pair, with the ST being slightly more reliable than it's European counterpart. :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Here's my input Radio Fun,
Why not wait for the 2019 bikes to arrive. I've got the idea that your from USA, correct?
They were said to be on sale between Nov to January and Suzuki have included a mechanical mod to fix the throttle action.
They know it has affected their Sales, and only have themselves to blame for releasing it as is, but that's life.

As for the upgrade to everything else, I see Suzuki's as like Fast Food. Cheap and filling, but there's better out there for more money.
If you buy a Big Mac, take it home, toss out the plastic meat patty and insert a nice BBQ'ed fillet steak, it's still a Big Mac on the outside.
The Suzuki GSXS1K is what you get, when you want a Big Mac on 2 Wheels.

It's somewhere a lot higher in quality than a bowl of noodles (Chinese no names) and a white table cloth Restaurant meal with waiters (BMW).
For me, I'll take that Suzuki Quarter Pounder please; it's got enough HP Sauce for me under 5000 RPM.

Rob.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a terrible buy. But, thanks to people who put too much stock in what they read, these bikes languish in the showrooms allowing folks like myself to snatch up a fantastic bike for a steal of a deal.
what this guy said ... lol I was able to buy a new leftover 16 naked ABS for 6500 a few months ago

$200 throttle tamer and free tps adjustment and its like it was never there

FYI I've always been a diehard Honda guy

·
Registered
355 Posts
These days, there's rarely such a thing as a bad bike and the GSX-S certainly offers value for money. It almost always hinges on what you want to use it for. For the last 3 years, the Suzuki has delivered what I needed it for. The end use will change sometime in the next year and age (71) will see me looking for a lighter bike, but still wanting performance. Going back to a Street Triple would be just fine but maybe going left field with a KTM Duke 790 would be a lot of fun for the twisty roads where I live. It's always a blast to run all the options through the head!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts