GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be confused with Jason's Gixxes. Jason had a good idea so I'll follow him and do the same for my new bike.

To start with, it was my first day to ride the new bike to work. Without things I'm used to with my FJR, namely a windshield, heated grips, and a connector for my electric gear, I had to wait till the temperature was ok for me to ride it in. 45F this morning, only a couple of bikes in the parking lot this early. Another cruiser showed up later so we had a small turnout in the dedicated motorcycle parking area.

Time to start modifying the GSX-S1000.  I did a little ordering over the weekend and some stuff started showing up today.  First up, I need swingarm spools.  This helps out for tire changing, at the track, and when parking in the garage, upright bikes take up less space.  Not sure if I like these but they were on Amazon Prime and in stock and for not a bad price so they provide a quick fix while I see if I like them or if I find something else.

All installed and ready to go.

And finally, the bike is properly standing upright on one of my old pit bull stands in the garage.

Next up, is the front reflectors. I went through this first process the other day and realized I needed to order some factory fasteners. These are not like other front reflectors I've had on other bikes. To start with, the big orange thing spins off

And leaves us with this ugly piece. Can't have that and can't have an empty hole, so I ordered a couple of stock fasteners the same as the bottom one.

Here's the new fastener and that monstrosity of a reflector holder.

And finally, the finished product.

More to come!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice one. Yes just the spools alone are worth their weight in Gold! Like you said upright saves lots space in the garage!
Not sure about taking the reflector off, all my other bikes was first thing I took off. This time I hesitated thinking they may save me one day in bad light/visibility from colliding with vehicle at right angles to me.
Keep us updated - good work!
Jeffro

·
Registered
486 Posts
I took those reflectors off first week and got new screws from the dealer. Also replaced the hideous orange turn signal lenses with clear. Congrats on the bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice one. Yes just the spools alone are worth their weight in Gold! Like you said upright saves lots space in the garage!
Not sure about taking the reflector off, all my other bikes was first thing I took off. This time I hesitated thinking they may save me one day in bad light/visibility from colliding with vehicle at right angles to me.
Keep us updated - good work!
Jeffro
Get some reflective wheel stripes. Makes the bike look better, and they work better than a tiny orange reflector.

Nice bike Jasen! Hopefully a fender eliminator is on it's way too :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, the situations where a side reflector will help with a moving vehicle are slim. I'm either going to be out of the way or it's too late. Side reflectors are really for those areas where you'll be parking perpendicularish to the curb at night, which I don't do. And this bike won't see that much night riding anyway, that's what my FJR is for and I left the reflectors on it as it's a utility vehicle. :D

Yes, that rear will be cleaned up as a part of the rizoma order, not sure what Suzuki was thinking with this bike when it came to the tail section.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I took those reflectors off first week and got new screws from the dealer. Also replaced the hideous orange turn signal lenses with clear. Congrats on the bike.
Lol...the V-strom comes with clear lenses and there are folks who change them out to amber because they don't like the clear.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Get some reflective wheel stripes. Makes the bike look better, and they work better than a tiny orange reflector.

Nice bike Jasen! Hopefully a fender eliminator is on it's way too :)[/QUOTE

Yeh mate already have the rim tape on the wheels!
Luckily here in Australia we have the clear indicator lense from the factory. The orange ones look so outdated!
Jeffro]

·
Registered
980 Posts
I thought a fender eliminator would be one of the first things I would do, since like most of us I didn't care for the looks. However, after some reading I discovered that tail section keeps the tire from flinging water all over the rider and bike, so I decided on function over form on this item. Just something to be aware of if you ever expect to ride on wet surfaces.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought a fender eliminator would be one of the first things I would do, since like most of us I didn't care for the looks. However, after some reading I discovered that tail section keeps the tire from flinging water all over the rider and bike, so I decided on function over form on this item. Just something to be aware of if you ever expect to ride on wet surfaces.
Your right, when I bought my bike I hastily put a fender eliminator on and was very happy how it improved the looks, however i found out it really sh*ts me off how all the rubbish flicks up and all over the place. Luckily for me I clean my bike after every ride so it's not that much of a drama. But if I had my time again on this bike anyway, I probably would have left it
Jeffro

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got the stock fender on my FJR for when it's wet. This bike will be a fair weather ride, I bought it to be the play bike.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't ride in the wet. Problem solved :)
I hear ya. I never plan to either when riding locally, but around here you never know when something will pop up literally out of the blue. Several times I've gotten caught out in a rain or thunderstorm without rain gear. Of course, most of those times I ended up getting pretty well soaked, so maybe extra spray from the tire wouldn't have made that much difference. Frequently where I ride I see water running across an otherwise dry road...from melting snow, water leak, a clogged ditch...might make a difference in those cases.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I hear ya. I never plan to either when riding locally, but around here you never know when something will pop up literally out of the blue. Several times I've gotten caught out in a rain or thunderstorm without rain gear.
Oh, me too. I should have added.... "if I can help it." :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so boring little update for today. After getting my bike home and taking some pictures of it, I noticed something off.

Stupid little black caps missing on the left. Sigh, I suppose this kind of thing happens to press fit plastic when it languishes in the showroom. Something I should have noticed at the dealership and if I had, I'd have made them fit some new ones right then and there. But, could have been loose and lost in the trailer ride home, or my first ride, and not really critical so I'm not going to make a big deal of it. But...I'm also not going to just let it be. Too much bothering my OCD. Easy solution, remove the other two. But...since I was already placing a parts order for my bolts to replace my reflectors, I added two of these on. Unfortunately they were back ordered and didn't come with the bolts. They did come today, woohoo! All better.

Yea, a bit of a yawn, but I'm still waiting on my back ordered rizoma stuff and it's cold outside so this is it for now.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts