GSXS 1000 Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another thing on the low RPM issues at steady state throttle, might be good to check the throttle body synchronization. Lower throttle openings are more sensitive to the balance between cylinders. That is the next step. ECU flash is great, but it can't hide mechanical setup issues in all cases.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After 17000km and hating the jerky throttle I decided to do something about it (I know I'm a procrastinator) I've read about all the fixes, TPS,ECU flash,TRE etc, but I have an easier fix, costs nothing and takes about 3 minutes.
GSXS1000F
Here's what I did
Remove the pillion seat and locate diagnostic plug
Remove cap on plug and using a piece of thin wire,a paper clip will do,bridge the 2 bottom pins
Turn on the ignition and you will notice the diagnostic icon on the instrument panel
The bar should be in the central position
Turn the throttle to the full open position, don't start the bike, the bar will go to the top position, hold there for a couple of seconds
Turn off ignition
Repeat, I did it 3 times but you might only have to do it once
Remove the wire
Start the bike, I immediately noticed a difference in the exhaust note
Rode out of my driveway and the throttle was more responsive and felt like it had more torque
Rode along a very rough and bumpy road that would previously have the throttle going from off to on and was a real PIA but now I am able to hold a steady throttle
Tried riding 5th gear 40km/hr, smooth and steady and will accelerate easily
Thought i'd give it a run through the mountain twisties, what a difference, back off the throttle no more feeling like you've just opened a parachute, just normal engine braking then smooth acceleration through the corners.
Previously I hated this bike and was going to sell it even though I would have taken a huge financial hit, now I love it and can't stay off it.
Many will be skeptical of this, but it worked so well for me, I've been riding bikes for over 62 years and I've never had such a huge performance improvement for such little efffort or cost
Try it, what have you got to lose?
After 17000km and hating the jerky throttle I decided to do something about it (I know I'm a procrastinator) I've read about all the fixes, TPS,ECU flash,TRE etc, but I have an easier fix, costs nothing and takes about 3 minutes.
GSXS1000F
Here's what I did
Remove cap on plug and using a piece of thin wire,a paper clip will do,bridge the 2 bottom pins
Turn on the ignition and you will notice the diagnostic icon on the instrument panel
Turn the throttle to the full open position, don't start the bike, the bar will go to the top position, hold there for a couple of seconds
Turn off ignition
Remove the wire
Rode out of my driveway and the throttle was more responsive and felt like it had more torque
Rode along a very rough and bumpy road that would previously have the throttle going from off to on and was a real PIA but now I am able to hold a steady throttle
Thought i'd give it a run through the mountain twisties, what a difference, back off the throttle no more feeling like you've just opened a parachute, just normal engine braking then smooth acceleration through the corners.
Previously I hated this bike and was going to sell it even though I would have taken a huge financial hit, now I love it and can't stay off it.
Many will be skeptical of this, but it worked so well for me, I've been riding bikes for over 62 years and I've never had such a huge performance improvement for such little efffort or cost
so i decided after reading this and most of the other comments to give this a go..

My throttle was ok but when rolling off it felt that you had dropped the anchor from the titanic out the back.
Having a 19’ F model i had read that the line would not appear, hey presto found the plug, paperclip used and everything else.
Used the ride home from work to see if any difference had been made, thinking there would be a placebo effect.
i was almost caught out when i rolled off for my normal corners and actually had to use brakes and the bike didnt slow as much, dont get me wrong it still slows as bikes do, but not as harshly as it did before.. and all with a paperclip... starting to love this forum...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, 2016 GSXS 1000 non-ABS. I have been riding for many decades and owned a few FI bikes, nothing as powerful as this. After buying the bike I was not overwhelmed with the throttle, makes it a bit skittish at low RPMs. Now it is a perfectly manageable and enjoyable ride after first adjusting the TPS, it was in the dash low at C000, I used the diagnostic mode, as I don't have a breakout lead, minor improvement. Just today I did the process Bob provided and WOW! Serious improvement, still very reactive, but the "jump out from under you" lurch is gone. Thanks to Bob and all for this info. I expect this is setting or resetting a learned condition, I would take both these steps with or without a tune.

JT
I was looking to do this before i even purchased the bike but i have eliminated that ridiculous 4.5kg Turkey Tray from under the bike & this is another reason for obtaining the Boosterplug , the AirFuel Ratio is adjusted almost instantly (bere in mind I installed the boosterplug initially for the throttle knowing I would mod the exhaust).

It was jerky for a couple of miles & since then (4000miles later) its been an absoloute joy

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's crazy how some bikes are just getting worse on the fuelling these days.
The other Suzuki's I've owned were awesome but as for these later model bikes well it's stupid.
Maybe I'm just to fussy LOL. Riding the twisty stuff I don't have any problems just on bumpy roads.
I'm thinking of a throttle tamer but im not sure 🤔
Yes its a real shame they cant get it right but the emission regs are strangling them, my B King was smooth as silk at all revs, the Yam MT10 I found even worse just a touch of throttle had the bike surging forward relentlessly had to keep dragging the rear brake in traffic to avoid collisions.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
so i decided after reading this and most of the other comments to give this a go..

My throttle was OK but when rolling off it felt that you had dropped the anchor from the titanic out the back.
Having a 19’ F model I had read that the line would not appear, hey presto found the plug, paperclip used and everything else.
Used the ride home from work to see if any difference had been made, thinking there would be a placebo effect.
i was almost caught out when i rolled off for my normal corners and actually had to use brakes and the bike didn't slow as much, don't get me wrong it still slows as bikes do, but not as harshly as it did before.. and all with a paperclip... starting to love this forum...
The throttle roll off on the 19 is far far smoother than the 2016 I had.
The engine braking is half the amount that the 16 has as stock, and is what the 19 GSX-S750 today has too.

Suzuki has been slowly chipping away in the backroom, but Oriental face saving means they say nothing.
Anyone with a stock first edition 2016, and thinking that a 2019 would be just a graphics update, is very much mistaken.
Is a 2020 Katana Euro 5 be even more refined, don't know.

Rob.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The throttle roll off on the 19 is far far smoother than the 2016 I had.
The engine braking is half the amount that the 16 has as stock, and is what the 19 GSX-S750 today has too.

Suzuki has been slowly chipping away in the backroom, but Oriental face saving means they say nothing.
Anyone with a stock first edition 2016, and thinking that a 2019 would be just a graphics update, is very much mistaken.
Is a 2020 Katana Euro 5 be even more refined, don't know.

Rob.
Without any confirmation from Suzuki we can only speculate. What we know for certain is the throttle grip itself has changed from 2019 models onward. Basically a cheap alternative to a throttle tamer.
If they were to put any development into the gsx-s I would hope they would go the way of the new vstrom 1050.
More electronics, ride by wire, cruise control etc.
If they don't do it in the next couple of years I'll be swapping to the vstrom 1050 when the gsx-s gets too many kilometers on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, for what its worth I changed the throttle tube for a 2019 update, when fitting the heated grips. I could not be happier it a great improvement now I enjoy riding the bike.
It's an easy change and come with rubber outer and for the cost you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
GSXS1000F
Here's what I did
Turn off ignition
Remove the wire
Thank you for your post !!!! i own 2016 model , and i did TPS adjust few weeks ago . after reading your post , yesterday i did this job and it's really different bike , much smooth , and runs better . Thank's a lot !!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you for your post !!!! i own 2016 model , and i did TPS adjust few weeks ago . after reading your post , yesterday i did this job and it's really different bike , much smooth , and runs better . Thank's a lot !!!!
Glad it worked for you as well, stuff the doubters. My bike now has 56000kms on it and still runs great, gets a good workout

·
Registered
1 Posts
My motorcycle is gsx-s1000 It was created in 2019. I've tried wiring the under seat connector, but only the error code and not the throttle position. I tried the way you told me, but the throttle's not gone.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unfortunately your bike doesn't have this option anymore (the "-" sign in front of C00). You have to buy the TPS lead (made by Kawasaki and Suzuki) to check the voltage right at the sensor connector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had my ECM flashed and it made a world of difference. More pep on accel even at low rpm, no more injectors shutting off completely on decel and the throttle twitch is something of the past.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had Dano’s flash my ecu on my 2016 gsx-s1000f.
Just put it in today. Wow......unbelievable difference. Bike is 100% stock. So smooth now, just like it should have been from the factory. Tested it around the side streets and parking lot first to test the low speed fueling and it is amazing. Different bike. The removal of the decel injector shut off is huge too. No more bucking, just a nice coasting feeling.
I was not after more power, solely wanted to cure the jerky throttle I was plagued with since I bought it new in 2016. Well, i got power too as a bonus, lol. It was no slouch before in the power dept but now hold on. I think in stock ecu form it dialed things back in first 3 gears to keep the noise police happy at pass by dB test. Now full power available in all gears.

Huge thanks to Dan. Great customer service, he took plenty of time to explain everything that he was going to do and walked me through the menu of options. After choosing them I mailed it out. He called me when he received it, confirmed options and said he would flash it and send it the next day. I got it 3 days later.
Great price and work.

Anyone hesitant on messing with removing the necessary plastic bits to lift the tank, do it. With the help of youtube it was not bad at all.
Don’t fart around with the list of other “fixes” just do this one. Assure you that you will be pleased.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts