GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a GSX-S1000 ABS in Triton blue. Found several dealers in the area who would do the bike at $8500 otd. One dealer had two red/black, the other had blue and also a blue F model for they would do for $9000 otd. THAT was the hard choice. So much so I probably spend 45 minutes trying to choose at the dealer with the salesguy waiting for my decision. After all that time I chose the faired version. He went to get the paperwork and while he was gone I changed my mind haha. I decided I just didn't want a sport bike look, I wanted a naked/street fighter. I'll put a small screen on it to take the wind off my torso and a tail tidy to clean up the rear. First impression: HOLY F**K! This is the most powerful, fastest bike I have ever rode. The power is just incredible. Its everywhere. I pretty much just kept it in 6th on my way home from the dealer to keep the revs low for proper break-in......and to calibrate my brain and right hand to the throttle. Did not notice any snatchy throttle, but I wasn't trying to do steady speeds either. Once the break in is complete I'll have a better opinion of my throttle.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome supercharger
As meatloaf said "two outta three aint bad" right bike, right model, wrong colour ;-)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats on the new ride Supercharger, you will love it!

Laughing @ landy10 (but he is correct lol)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome Supercharger, opinions will definitely vary as whatever someone has is the best. With that being said should have stuck with that Fast, Ferocious, Fiery, Fabulous, Fantastic I could go on cause the F version is Freaking awesome. You may have a little fun on the version you chose though {jk} enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
209 Posts
welcome aboard ! best color for sure =)

2 things you NEED to do :

1- set the suspension for your weight ..lots of info on here ! The wrench is in your tool bag.
2- tighten up the throttle cable

do those 2 things....and the bike will be even more amazing than it already is ! trust me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did both already. My throttle cable adjuster wasn't even tightened. The lock nut was loose....almost as if the person who set up my bike never made the adjustment. I adjusted it to take virtually all slack out. Left just a MM or two of play. I also had to adjust my chain. Right off the showroom floor it was loose to the point of affecting the ride. The throttle snatch is nothing compared to the chain snatch it had! Made it difficult to shift smoothly. It had almost two inches of slack! Adjusted it to spec, now all is well. Now that I have corrected the chain snatch I feel a bit of throttle snatch, but I don't think its that bad. Its a bit sudden off idle, but have no issues with cruising at steady speeds. I will fix it soon with a reflash or a fuel tuner.

I love this bike! After riding a Yammie Stratoliner the last two years, the gixxes feels like a freaking bicycle! I rode the strat yesterday and it feels like a dump truck compared to the gixxes haha. I DO love the utility a bagger provides though. No problem to fit 5 or 6 bags of groceries on the strat and the wind protection is fantastic with that big ole windshield on it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the fun!! The best model and color is the one you choose.

It took me well over 45min to pick a color, and I definitely held the sales/finance guys a little late because of it. But they wanted to make a sale, and I was spending $10k so they could wait a few extra minutes :) I first saw the bike and was convinced I'd get the red/black - it was a month to the day I went back in, and they started the paperwork for that bike. I told them to hold off on anything related to color and VIN until the last minute, and ended up getting blue - which I'm THRILLED about. I unfortunately had to replace the bike and didn't consider anything except another of the same model/color.

Please remember to use all the gears and vary the RPM during break-in. The manual says to keep it below 6,000 rpm for the first few miles, and under 9,000 rpm for the next few miles. But I believe it also mentions varying the RPM. Most people mention piston ring seating when breaking in a new engine, but there is so much more going on. Anywhere there is clearance (which is between any 2 moving parts) there will be wear; the pistons can rotate and lean ever so slightly, and will do so differently depending on the pressure (rpm) in the engine. So you want to vary the pressure/rpm so they don't start to form a specific wear pattern which can lead to biasing. I just talked to a 70-yo custom race car/engine builder and driver about all this last week. And this all goes along with what is written in the manual.

welcome aboard ! best color for sure =)

2 things you NEED to do :

1- set the suspension for your weight ..lots of info on here ! The wrench is in your tool bag.
2- tighten up the throttle cable

do those 2 things....and the bike will be even more amazing than it already is ! trust me.
Actually 3: check the chain tension

2&3 are aimed at smoothing out the on/off throttle response.

Also, the wrenches in the tool kit are not machined to the same quality standards as the ones in your home tool box. Save them for on-road or emergency use. The rough finish on the wrenches marked up my preload adjusters, mirror fasteners, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts