GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Congratulations mate! I hope you enjoy your bike馃憤馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my 1st GSXS, came from an R6 which ate itself 3 wks ago- 600 miles from home it started losing a cylinder and a full engine of oil in less than a tank of gas; wasn't leaking or burning it but the exhaust tip was turning black; perhaps a leaking exhaust valve guide... anyhow it was in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire; no u-hauls, barely found a rental car to drive home, so I signed it over to a motorsports dealer. It was a '99, about 50k on it- and really starting to hurt for more than 4hrs at a time so I bailed- still grieving a bit about it because I grew to love the bike. The risk was something going really bad during the 2 long painful highway rides to get home- and even if I figured out a good way to get it home I wasn't willing to go that far into the engine.

Before that I had a Bandit 1200 which I totalled, I've always been a Suzuki fan so the S1000 is my way back in. Having experienced the for-realsies suspension on the R6 I wasn't going back to a Bandit- I know about the suspension upgrade possibilities and I enjoy the wrenching but they are kind of a hack. The S1000's is reasonably modern, and upgrades to the rear are straightforward.

Being used to older-school bikes I'm skeptical about the modern fancy features but will probably end up liking them lol and to be honest, fiddling around with carburetors does get a bit old at times :)

Registered
So many GSXS owners have Bandits in their past. I had a 1996 Bandit 600. Nice bike but no torque. The GSXS line is a massive upgrade compared to the old Bandits as you will find out :)

OTOH, I sure miss having a centerstand!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
omg and how wrt the centerstand... I have the front and rear race stands from the R6 so will set up spools and get a pin for the S1000 so whatevs.

I'm overhauling an 82 XS400 for a friend, it has a centerstand and I LOVE it... both wheels are coming off in a few days for tires and I can just chock the whole thing up on the centerstand easy peasy.

My Bandit was an '02- did a lot of work fancying it up, put on a lot of miles. But the idea of those forks and rear shocks are just not where I want to be again. The remedy for any nostalgia is just to think about those 6 pot tokico brakes lol

Registered
Had 4 Bandit 1200s, loved them except the 05 "updated" model which was nowhere near as good as the earlier model. What are the colour options on the new model, I get cheesed off with a lot of current bike/car companies that seem to offer a very limited choice of colours these days.

Registered
Horrible colors on motorcycles. Honda has black only and Yamaha super ugly new dark colors. What happened to red, blue, yellow, white, green, pink for girls, etc?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yeah the 1200 had fantastic torque, loved how it was delivered. In traffic feathering the clutch on the R6 was essentially f'ing miserable- the 1200 was way nicer there- but boy-oh-boy once things were moving the R6 was pure sex 馃グ I took an MSF refresher on the R6 last spring and omg what a pain working out the balance so I could do the slow speed stuff, would have been a breeze on the Bandit. OTOH I had the front tire smoking on the accelleration and braking exercises, came at the instructor so fast he flinched for cover even though I nailed the box each time 馃槀

Dunno, the repsols in the showroom were colorful- team green bikes prominent in the Kawi section also. But I do like some color on the bike also. My buddy has a 2016 Bandit- red- and it looks fantastic.

Registered
If you thought the R6 was pure sex once wound up wait til you feel the top end on your GSXS!!! You will yell the Lord's name....or a curse word....but you will yell something inside your helmet when you hit about 8K haha.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah my 99 R6 was dynoed at100hp full blast, not a whole lot lighter than the s1000. OTOH the R6 is a refined and balanced chassis- hoping the much more modern gsxs will exceed it once I get the suspension and brakes dialed in. no doubt the s1k's hp will be fantastic 馃コ

Registered
Horrible colors on motorcycles. Honda has black only and Yamaha super ugly new dark colors. What happened to red, blue, yellow, white, green, pink for girls, etc?
If you want a big range of tank colours, Royal Enfield is the go. Cheaper labour costs, I guess.

I saw a newly arrived 2022 Honda CBR650R last week in the Shop; the blue tank colour was bright like this pages' post reply button. I looked so good.(y)
Cant remember the matching graphic panels now, but it all worked. Pity we only get the LAMS/A2 35 kw restricted engine in Australia, any 4 cyl in line needs revs to sing, and these just croak.
Buy a 70 kw motor, and only allowed to use 35, that's just wrong. And no, you UK Lads, we have no Dealer kit to make it full power, that's not legal here.

Rob.

Registered
My current Vfr800x is a similar deep metallic red as my 03 Bandit and 08 Fazer, looks fantastic, but my Gsxs was the stealth phantom model which also works on certain bikes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting ready to ride home :love: fooled around behind the nearby Target for a while- a VERY different bike than the R6 all my tuned motions and postures were wrong but the bike I'm after sure is in there. It immediately felt like long rides would be easy... all that omg this is work feeling that the R6 had been turning into disappeared in about 10 secs.

Needs some suspension tuning- compression damping is way too high it was tossing me around quite a bit- going to fix that up right away. Fueling is a bit snatchy (will wait for Moore to get the ECU flash figured and send it to him)- otoh it was in Mode A perhaps the others are a bit milder. Steering great- and OMFG the mirrors are wonderful. Brakes...meh... new pads, new levers will shape them up well, theres plenty of stop in the calipers.

Dunlop Roadsmarts are on it- I'll wear them out and replace with Q3+'s. I loved those tires on the R6.

Shifting is not what I like though- I very much want a gearbox at least in the ballpark of the R6 which was nice and smooth. The shifting on the S1000 works fine but the effort is relatively high. I think I could feel the quickshift working but the lever feel is spongy and springy and its difficult to short-shift because the feel is so complicated. On the R6 I would ease the throttle with some mild shifter pressure and get thru gears, maybe a bit of clutch at the right moment if I was pushing but it was always precise and clean once attuned to it. I guess I'll get a feel for how this trans wants to work but so far its kind of gross- my old Bandit's trans also shifted much nicer. If its possible to ease the spring pressure that would be a big help, wouldn't mind removing the quickshift transducer from the linkage if that would help also.

A new bike makes me nervous, but I do like not having to fix a bunch of stuff just to get it on the road...

Feels good to be back on two wheels... going to get this bike nice and dirty 馃槑

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adjusted the controls, mirrors, suspension- found the rear wheel at 42psi which accounted for a lot of the harshness lol. With 35psi on both tires the ride is much improved, the rear is still a bit hard but we're getting there.

The gearbox REALLY hates the shifting pattern I used on the R6 (I liked to frequently do a few short shifts on the way up, since the ratios were so close I'd rather be in 5th or 6th for moderate accelleration or poking along)- the s1k's gearbox wants each gear to run a bit before the next shift. Doing it that way the shift effort and travel is quite moderate- I still don't like the spring and play in there but the minimum effort and motion to make a shift is way more civilized than I was experiencing on day 1 and I think it will be fine with practice. Probably the gearbox is also still breaking in.

The quickshift works and if I don't short-shift then it does make faster shifting straightforward. I definitely have to get used to doing more with the mid gears. Unless I was pushing the R6 or going slow around a traffic circle, 2nd and 3rd were kind of useless, 4th only sometimes of much use. The s1k's gearing makes the lower gears a lot more useful. Having all that power available at low rpms is a big help too, much less feathering and careful throttle needed off a stop :) Poking along behind traffic in 3rd is comfy on the s1k it was very much not on the r6 lol.

Nanny mode B and C helped a lot with the snatchiness, quite helpful pending an ECU flash - the engine is for sure lean. I am totally digging the single press start. :D

It was interesting watching the heat- the engine heats up faster than the R6's, but cools down a lot faster also- fans more effective as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts