GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

Long time Gixxer rider and first-time posting to the forum. I took delivery a couple of weeks ago and have put about ~250 miles on it. Having ridden sport bikes for 36 years I’m finally moving to something slightly more sensible. This is obviously a huge comfort upgrade from what I’m used to (K3 1000 still in the stable.) This is a GT+, but of course the pillions did not arrive and will be another couple of months before arrival.

The torquey long-stroke gixxer motor is excellent as you would expect. Even though it’s still in break-in, the 5.5k rpm limited engine shows tremendous ability. It’s got torque and power all over place with even a thimble worth of throttle. This is a serious motor. The quick shifter is as good as anything I’ve experienced: fast and smooth up-shifts like my Ducati and neutral is easier to find than the Italian: I don’t see how it could be better. The clutch assist is noteworthy, making clutch pulls easier.

Comfort is excellent by any standard! The only ding I have is that there’s a little bit of buzziness in the pegs at highway cruise, but nothing In the bars. Cruise control is just okay, takes a little getting used to and not as smooth as I would like for increasing or decreasing SET speed. It’s minor gripe. Overall, the cruise control is good. Controls are also not exactly as I would have placed them. The set button is on the right module and SET on the left. The activation button on the right id not that easy, thus far, for me to select with my thumb. Again. These are minor, style point criticisms.

Steering feels excellent with the Dunlop Road Sport 2. I have always loved the Dunlop Sport Max on the gixxer and this tire reminds of that tire except this one is a single compound. Steering is way lighter than a sport bike and both low-speed and high turn in are a treat. This bikes wants you to drag pegs and at the same time you can turn inside of a single parking space easily. In short, the handling is a joy.

The large TFT is very nice, the screen set to AUTO to flip between WHITE and BLACK reverse video in low light. The controls are not as intuitive as my Ducati, yet it offers far less settings / tuning options. It’s half the money of a premium motorcycle product, so it’s to be expected.

Finally I ride a Suzuki with Brembo up front and the brakes are very good, with okay feel. I just bought VHT caliper paint to do them in red with clear gloss coat. They’ll be removed, flushed and sprayed soon. I’ll replace the brake fluid with 5.1. Probably do an RCS19 at some point.

The exhaust note is typical Suzuki gixxer but muted, I really dislike the underside muffler box as it becomes a heat sink. I live in Arizona and that heat is no good. So, it will probably go and the CaT. However, the stock exhaust pipe looks fantastic. When has anyone ever said that about a Suzuki exhaust??

Both the rider and pax seats are cushy and comfortable enough to crush real mileage, with no wrist load: it’s got great ergos.

The bike looks like a transformer from the front and the rear passenger handles look like something off of Loki’s head.

There’s really very little to complain about here: it’s a winning combination. What Suzuki has created is a real geezer gixxer!

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great review! I've been looking at these with great curiosity and seeing it parked with your Duc actually pots a lot of visual cues into perspective for me! Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ended up on the test ride & canceled my order because the bike just had nothing about it that made me smile... Although i can not argue about all the positives that have been previously mentioned on this forum, i just found it to be such a smooth & so well sorted motorcycle that it was completely characterless to ride. I went to the shop to purchase the bike & came home pretty deflated !

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I ended up on the test ride & canceled my order because the bike just had nothing about it that made me smile... Although i can not argue about all the positives that have been previously mentioned on this forum, i just found it to be such a smooth & so well sorted motorcycle that it was completely characterless to ride. I went to the shop to purchase the bike & came home pretty deflated !
i don’t really understand your comment about the dislike.

the older gsxs had a twitchy more “character” ride and I and many hated it. So much we flashed the ecus Etc.

Here Suzuki perfected the new maps and it’s now too tame lol. Can’t win!

that’s why there’s a bike for everyone out there. Diff folks diff strokes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Funny thing was, i ended up having a long chat to the salesman the following day & tried to explain to him why i could not connect with the bike & he ended up telling me that his collection of bikes included a 2006 Suzuki GSX 1400, 2012 Yamaha XJR 1300 and a 2000 Aprilia Tuono because of the reason i did not like the GT...He just finds modern bikes are refined to the point of having no character...He went on to talk about the BMW RR & said it is like a missile with fantastic handling and all the latest technology, but he found it boring to ride unless on the track...So yes, we are all different but i am not alone, lol...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I want to ride my bike not fight it. I pay for the refinement in flashing and tuning it isn’t done at factory
Can always get it tuned to run buckwild
Just steal the fueling map off previous bike

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I appreciate peoples opinions, but I gotta ask. You wanted it, you rode it, have stated your piece you don’t like it canceled order, are you going to positively contribute to the forum or just keep going around saying the bikes we own have no character for running, smoothly?

genuinely curious. Because for those people who are enjoying the bike etc, it’s coming off as Debbie downer in a way.

Atleast to me. Not trying to be hostile just curious if you’re staying to contribute or maybe changing your mind on maybe wanting one

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good point, it was a bit negative for those who own the bike so i appologise for that, but my comments were more out of frustration because i was looking forward to owning the GT. Anyway, your point is taken !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that the Suzuki experience is about how everything works together so seamlessly, that's the beauty of this bike (and for that matter the GIXXER product line). My other bikes are more exotic, but not more enganging for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny thing was, i ended up having a long chat to the salesman the following day & tried to explain to him why i could not connect with the bike & he ended up telling me that his collection of bikes included a 2006 Suzuki GSX 1400, 2012 Yamaha XJR 1300 and a 2000 Aprilia Tuono because of the reason i did not like the GT...He just finds modern bikes are refined to the point of having no character...He went on to talk about the BMW RR & said it is like a missile with fantastic handling and all the latest technology, but he found it boring to ride unless on the track...So yes, we are all different but i am not alone, lol...
If you want character, than buy a Ducati. Have you ridden any modern ones, like the Monster or Multi? They have loads of character and are amazing and fun to ride. That's why I own both ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Test rode a 2018 Ducati Supersport, 3 issues before i left the driveway, lol...Clutch grabbed, couldn't find neutral until i rooles the bike back & forward 1/2 dozen times & then it would not start in neutral...yes, with the clutch held in ! Not reall the character i was looking for, lol...

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000
51 Posts
Test rode a 2018 Ducati Supersport, 3 issues before i left the driveway, lol...Clutch grabbed, couldn't find neutral until i rooles the bike back & forward 1/2 dozen times & then it would not start in neutral...yes, with the clutch held in ! Not reall the character i was looking for, lol...

Sounds like the "character" you're looking for?!?! Just by the GSXS already!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shouldn't have a clutch or neutral problem like that unless someone improperly bled the clutch, or it's the wrong engine oil. Could be something simple like that. That's too bad because that is a great bike. Generally speaking, modern Ducatis are very reliable.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts