GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't think I'll ever understand the motorcyle "character" thing. Sure there are bikes I'd rather not ride again and others I definitely want to. I had to work hard to fall in love with my R6, I loved my Bandit from day 1. The old XS400 I'm fixing up is appealing in its own mild way- kind of the same thing with the Buell Blast I took my MSF course on. I dont' want to ride a single mile on my friend's late 70's vintage hybrid Sportster/F/X thing - an awful clunky mess of a bike and I've done a bunch of wrenching on it Maybe its that I relate to the mechanism and the rest of the bike is just there along for the ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to understand character ride an early Ducati or Norton Commando etc, etc,...If you want reliability with character, try an early Moto Guzzi V7 Racer...If you want moden technology & reliabilty with character try a Thruxton 1200 R...That bike made me want to ride it every 5 minutes & was full of character even though it was a completely modern motorcycle...The XJR i bought is an air cooled stonking motor with old school feel coupled with modern brakes, good suspension & no rider aids + it is simple to work on, Eg; You can change the air filter by removing the side cover. But mostly, it just brings a smile to my face when i ride it where the GSXS did not ! Some people love modern technology & all the safety features it has brought with it, whereas, i just miss the character older motorcycles (and cars for that matter) have lost because of it. I also have many other hang ups ! 😀 Casey Stoner gave up racing because he hated what modern technology had done to motorcycle racing, so i am not alone !

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you want to understand character ride an early Ducati or Norton Commando etc, etc,...If you want reliability with character, try an early Moto Guzzi V7 Racer...If you want moden technology & reliabilty with character try a Thruxton 1200 R...That bike made me want to ride it every 5 minutes & was full of character even though it was a completely modern motorcycle...The XJR i bought is an air cooled stonking motor with old school feel coupled with modern brakes, good suspension & no rider aids + it is simple to work on, Eg; You can change the air filter by removing the side cover. But mostly, it just brings a smile to my face when i ride it where the GSXS did not ! Some people love modern technology & all the safety features it has brought with it, whereas, i just miss the character older motorcycles (and cars for that matter) have lost because of it. I also have many other hang ups ! 😀 Casey Stoner gave up racing because he hated what modern technology had done to motorcycle racing, so i am not alone !
I get the same enjoyment from a scooter that I do a gsxr or even my gsxs1000.
but to me, it isn't about the character of the bike, its just me cruising on along comfortably having fun.
my sportster 883 was a great ride, but I disliked having a carberatur on it and having to wait a minute to warm up cruising to slap the choke in or it farted. that isn't character, its just annoying. but some people love carb sportsters over EFI.

not me, will never own a carb item again, my mower is the only exception, and thats because im on year 7 and ive never done a single thing to it. Lol I just toss gas in and go. one oil change. meh idc. I enjoy that as much as my motorcycles tho. mowing grass is fun. going to grocery store is fun, im a weirdo.

so yeah, idk. all vehicles are same to me though, only reason I dislike a motorcycle is a carb, or if I can't reach the ground comfortably with both feet.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You do have issues if you enjoy riding your scooter as much as the GSXS, lol...
why? is a scooter not cool enough? sometimes its more fun to wind out small vehicles and have fun within legal boundaries.

I like my bikes like my women, I love variety Lol. jk bad joke. this was my garage, but then I downsized because I had too many rides, and was neglecting some over the others. ie. I hated ****ing absolutely hated the Kawasaki. just can't get into them bikes. it was an impulse buy because I had a good price, sold it at a profit though.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive parking light

·
Registered
100 Posts
I cant explain why, lol...but i never enjoyed riding a postie bike as much as my Speed Triple...There is something exciting about getting on the edge of a tyre through a corner and having the front wheel lift in the air while when exiting that a scooter just cant give me...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I cant explain why, lol...but i never enjoyed riding a postie bike as much as my Speed Triple...There is something exciting about getting on the edge of a tyre through a corner and having the front wheel lift in the air while when exiting that a scooter just cant give me...
well if thats the case, why didnt you like the gsxs? remove the restrictions with a flash and a gsxs1000 is an absolute wheelie monster. it was literal stand up wheelies to balance point immediate flick of clutch up. never had a issue. my ecu for the gsxs1000 gt is being unlocked right now for all the US customers! it'll become a wheelie monster as well with restrictions off.

this was my gsxr 750, but the 1000 was a wheelie monster, loft to balance point instant. the extra torque made it brutal for lifting to balance. that said, I dont intend to wheelie with gsxs, just blah. we have more police presence now a days than ever, and my gf rides with me 99% of the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well if thats the case, why didnt you like the gsxs? remove the restrictions with a flash and a gsxs1000 is an absolute wheelie monster. it was literal stand up wheelies to balance point immediate flick of clutch up. never had a issue. my ecu for the gsxs1000 gt is being unlocked right now for all the US customers! it'll become a wheelie monster as well with restrictions off.

this was my gsxr 750, but the 1000 was a wheelie monster, loft to balance point instant. the extra torque made it brutal for lifting to balance. that said, I dont intend to wheelie with gsxs, just blah. we have more police presence now a days than ever, and my gf rides with me 99% of the time.

View attachment 49064
I think the conversation is just going round in circles now so i will bow out, but may everyone who owns a motorcycle enjoy it in their own unique way...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eh my Bandit and gen 1 R6 had carbs and 0 rider aids.. loved them both. I did have a nice ride on a Street Triple, liked it, not interested.. not cool enough to ride a Thruxton lol so thats out. Sat on a Guzzi once, not interesting. Every Ducati I've seen is fine, but I'm glad someone else owns them.

Sure glad you got a bike which works for you tho.. Ride what you like or you'll have to like what you ride 👍

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't care what I'm riding as long as I'm having fun.
But yes some bikes I just don't gel
With.
At 66 I still ride a z125pro that little bike is a lot of fun in the tight stuff.
Anyhow enjoy the yamaha 👍🏼

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F, __ 2022 GSX-S1000GT
77 Posts
What I meant was I just set the RPM indicator to go full on (all the lights) at 5.5K RPM.
If you haven't figured this out yet then yes it's possible and fairly easy once you know how. Just long press the [OK] button, arrow down to Ride settings and then set the first setting to the RPM you want all the lights on. The next setting is the increment for first and second stages. For example, I had mine set to 5,500 on the first setting and 250 and on the second setting which meant the first shift light comes on at 5,000 and the second comes on at 5,250 then all the lights at 5,500. I've just clocked over 800 km so now I've got it set to 8,500 and 250 so it'll have the first shift light at 8,000, the second at 8,250 and all of them at 8,500.

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F, __ 2022 GSX-S1000GT
77 Posts
I totally get the character thing. A great example was the 1983 Yamaha IT 250 versus the IT 490 that I used to ride in 1983 when I was 15 and about 60kg. I remember being really excited to ride the 490 because I used to have so much fun on the 250 and thought it would be double the fun. I was a bit disappointed because the engine was just made much more tractable and the power band much less of a rush. I guess the 490 was a faster bike to ride, but I just preferred the ridiculous power band on the 250 that felt like it was trying to throw me off the bike every time I hit it a full throttle. Also, when I was 13, I used to love riding my dad's Bultaco 175 for the same reason. It was a trial bike with really low gearing but if you twisted the throttle in first and second it would wheelie on the dirt. That was super fun although I doubt the bike was very quick and it definetley was an absolute pig to start and ride! And then there was a friend's YZ80 I rode once or twice when I was about the same age. I fell in love with that thing; it wasn't super fast but it would just lift the front wheel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd from memory and you'd just hang on!

Since I haven't been allowed to redline the GT as yet, the jury is out as to whether it has the fun factor I'm looking for. I think it'll be fine though. Today in the twisties there was one occasion where the front wheel was lifting as I was cranked over exiting a corner - not sure what gear I was in but probably 2nd or 3rd at about 6,500 rpm. I'm looking forward to more of that action :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Eh my Bandit and gen 1 R6 had carbs and 0 rider aids.. loved them both. I did have a nice ride on a Street Triple, liked it, not interested.. not cool enough to ride a Thruxton lol so thats out. Sat on a Guzzi once, not interesting. Every Ducati I've seen is fine, but I'm glad someone else owns them.

Sure glad you got a bike which works for you tho.. Ride what you like or you'll have to like what you ride 👍
Yeah i think it is just different strokes for different folks...The Guzzi V7 Racer i test rode well over a decade ago was only about 60hp (from memory) but it just had so much character i liked it before i even let the clutch out because it was cackling & shaking away at idle in the parking lot...I always hoped Guzzi would make a 1000cc V10 Racer...but then, maybe it would have lost the character of the little V7 ? Ahh, if money were no object !

·
Registered
75 Posts
lol, any reasonably modern bike that shakes and rattles is not appealing to me at all. My friends Sportster thing shakes and makes noise, leaks fuel half the time when starting, not at all attractive to me and the antique suspension is tragic- so many ways to fix that stuff and he just leaves it like that. At one point his taillight fell off because one of the bolts pulled out of the die cast body... but thats character I guess? :p

An interesting question though... if money were no object I think I'd still own one bike... I'd still have the GSXS even if I had 200k of play money at the time I bought it... But if I was loaded maybe I'd commute less and ride around more. I was at a biker bar once and talked with another rider- BMW guy but it takes all kinds lol - he worked 6 months out of the year and spent the other 6 roaming around on his bike, his bike looked it, lots of road time. That seems like the thing to do. Not necessarily bail on the wife and kids but something like get out of the ratrace for 4 or 5 months somewhere, haul the bike there and do a bunch of riding.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts