GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into upgrading front end suspension on my 2016. Have a few questions for those who have done this already. Apologies if the questions are too basic.
K-tech SSK kit is selling for 256EUR and matching flow control valves for 83EUR on euro-racing.it Shipping will be another 50 or so.
Local shop quoted about $400 in labor and that includes their oil.
Now questions:
  • is this recommended to replace flow control valves to match piston kit or factory valves ok?
  • have you stayed with the factory viscosity oil or replaced it with different oil (5wt to 2.5wt)?
  • I'm 180-185lb in gear, does it make sense to replace the springs as well? Replacement k-tech springs are about 80EUR.

Alternatively, I was also checking out Andreani cartridges (550EUR) and hoping I can replace them myself since no special tools will be required. I still have to remove fork tubes, right?

Comparing to rear shock replacement this appears to be a much more involved process that requires skills I don't have yet.

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
2016 f
654 Posts
It is alot more involved, requires special tools, - a fork spring compressor that suits the kayaba fork, a cartridge holder to undo stubborn cartridge bolts, i have posted pics of the insides somewhere, i do however recomend the ktech valve and comp adjusters ( std ones only effective over 2-3 clicks) i run 2.5wt oil at 125mm below top of empty fork, i use huperpro f/springs if competing, but the std ones are better for normal road riding

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed the Andreani Cartridges myself(see here : Looking for feedback on Andreani Misano fork cartridges). For the cost/effort of installing valves, I feel this is way easier to install and cost effective as it includes springs specific to the rider weight as well. No need for special tool if you are installing the cartridges - just use an impact wrench to remove the bottom bolt and remove the OEM cartridge as one piece. Installation does not need any special tool as Andreani cartridges do not spin while tightening the bottom bolt. You will need ohlins oil with this installation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thinking about this too, brooks suspension do the same kit (where I got my KTech Razor R from).

Don't know yet if my local garage can do it for me, or just ask him to take the forks off to post to Brooks for them to do it for £180!

Or as Pulsar2 mentions, just go for the cartridge kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everybody for your replies. I'm inclined to go with Andreani kit and try to install it myself. Might be an interesting late fall project. Will be watching Omnia Racing for discounts. Its listed for $509 now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking about this too, brooks suspension do the same kit (where I got my KTech Razor R from).

Don't know yet if my local garage can do it for me, or just ask him to take the forks off to post to Brooks for them to do it for £180!

Or as Pulsar2 mentions, just go for the cartridge kit

I think I'm going to go down the Ktech route, they are not too far away from me so I am going to find out what the total cost will be to get the valve set up and some correct rate springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts