GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Suzuki GSX-S1000F, '17 BMW R1200RT, '18 Honda Africa Twin AS DCT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that the silver nut that locks the overall length of my Razor-R shock had come loose (completely unscrewed). My question is: Once installed, can the shock length change?

In the attached picture, I've hand tightened the nut (I can't get two 22mm wrenches in there to lock it). You can see by the clean threads at the bottom that the nut has been out of position for quite a while.

I'd really appreaciate it if a couple Razor-R owners would take a look at your install. There's about 5/16" to 3/8" of thread below the lock nut on my bike. How much is showing on yours? Thanks!
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't have a ktech shock (I have yss), but surely the height adjustment is by rotating the lower mount (the 'eye')? Can only be done off the bike.

The large black nut is actually fixed and internally threaded, the zinc nut is just a locknut, and has walked a bit.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyone’s help.

The problem was due to the spring turning along with the adjustment collar when I adjusted the preload. The spring was also sticking to the bottom assembly and turning it, changing the shock length. A tight lock nut would have kept the spring from turning the bottom assembly. To get to the original length I just turned the spring and then tightened the lock nut.

Besides tightening the jam nut, I applied some grease to the bottom of the adjustment collar and the top of the spring and will make sure the spring does not turn when adjusting preload in the future.

I discovered another issue while working on this…the bushing in the bottom eye is nearly frozen. It’s difficult to rock and very difficult to turn. My guess is that it should move freely. I have a call into their tech support about it. UPDATE: the tech at K-tech said that the tight bushing is normal so I'm buttoning everything back up and going riding!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am just about to adjust mine, the bike leans way to far over on the side stand since I fitted the 55 profile tyre (tire) which has increased the ride height by about 12mm (1/2"), it has increased the turn in ability of the bike, a bit too much for my liking so I'm going to drop the ride height back to what it was. I set the K-teck shock at exactly the same lenghth as the original when I fitted it.
I will be making up my mind about the 55 profile when I've put it back to the right height. I may revert back to the standard profile when the tyre is done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My shock was accidentally set 9mm longer than stock. The user guide that came with it says it can be lengthened up to 10mm. I have a /50 profile Michelin Road 5 installed.
It started raining when I was ready to head out yesterday so I didn't get a chance to check on handling changes...but I absolutely loved the handling at the extra 9mm, and may change it back if I don't like my "new" settings.
Also, I'm sure that 9mm at the shock translates to more at the axle. Any trigonometry buffs out there?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did 275 miles on Thursday...about 50 of them were twisty mountain roads. I didn't really notice a handling difference. That surprised me because I could tell the back end was lower based on the slope of the seat. I'm pretty quick on mountain roads, but I've never road raced. Some of you with RAZOR-R shocks might feel a difference in steering quickness based on changing the length of the shock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts