GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know where it's located on the Katana? I dug around the various relays and such under the seat but couldn't track it down. Was hoping Suzuki's parts fiche might give me an idea, but no such luck there, either...

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
187 Posts
On the GSX-S1000 it's on the back right side of the bike, under the rear seat. Little square box with a rubber piece wrapped around it that attaches to a mount on the subframe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the GSX-S1000 it's on the back right side of the bike, under the rear seat. Little square box with a rubber piece wrapped around it that attaches to a mount on the subframe.
Thanks, 871JZ. I'll definitely take a second look in that area. I know they re-jiggered the wiring loom for the Katana - unfortunately - but who knows.. (I reached out to Bazzaz about the compatibility of a GSX-S1000 quickshifter on a Katana, and they told me it's a "no go" without modifying it a fair bit - just because of the different loom.) I think that the flasher relay itself is even different. Though, I suppose that's probably because of the LEDs..

Really appreciate the reply, though. Since Katana owners are kind of a rare breed (all 9 of us... ;) ) it's hard to come by information.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, not too many of you guys out there. Lol. If you can, just try following the rear turn signal leads back and eventually you may run into the flasher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's true. I suspect it's somewhere towards the front of the bike, and I'm going too have to remove a body panel or two to find it. The wiring for swingarm mounted signals on the Katana seems like it joins the main loom somewhere forward of the seat. Was just hoping I might get lucky here, and not have to play detective. But so it goes..

It's worth it, though - I really like this thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, but why are you trying to locate the flasher?
i need to replace it with an after-market one - i installed some smaller LED signals. i was hoping that because the stockers are LED that i wouldn't need to but, sure enough, there's enough of a wattage difference between them (stock and new) that my flash rate is out of whack.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i need to replace it with an after-market one - i installed some smaller LED signals. i was hoping that because the stockers are LED that i wouldn't need to but, sure enough, there's enough of a wattage difference between them (stock and new) that my flash rate is out of whack.
I see. I replaced my original front and rear halogen turn signals with LED replacements and also had to replace my flasher with an electronic one. I purchased one that works with all LED's and allows you to adjust the flash rate to account for the difference in amperage draw from all the different LED options. I adjusted it to match the the factory rate of flashes per minute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that's my plan, too. There's one from an outfit called TST Industries that seems pretty plug-and-play.
Now, all I have to do is find the thing...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, that's my plan, too. There's one from an outfit called TST Industries that seems pretty plug-and-play.
Now, all I have to do is find the thing...
Yeah, the TST flasher is the one I was originally going to use, but they were out of stock when I needed one. I don't know about the Katana, but the GSX-S uses a pretty standard two pin flasher. I ended up getting one that's nearly identical from an eBay seller for like $5 shipped. So far, it's worked great. I was actually surprised at the build quality when I received it and the adjustment dial works perfectly as expected. It's standard black and doesn't have the TST logo, but I can buy 4-5 of these for the price of one TST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting - that's good to know. I'm pretty sure the Katana's is a 7 pin, but I'm going to track it down and confirm before ordering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to the Suzuki parts list, the flasher relay is under the front cowl which is a bit of bugger to get at. I was going to have a go next winter when the bike is off the road to replace it so I can have some LED sylish indicators...

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to the Suzuki parts list, the flasher relay is under the front cowl which is a bit of bugger to get at. I was going to have a go next winter when the bike is off the road to replace it so I can have some LED sylish indicators...

David
Thanks for the heads-up, David. Yeah, it does indeed like a bit of a pain to get to...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts