GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem at all...I was doing some work on it, so I just snapped a few pictures while I was out there. And the good news is my Akra is finally done so I pick it up tomorrow and can get the exhaust completely finished and the QS put on, flash it with the QS enabled in the tune and finally put all of the body panels back on.

The Arrow system is really nice and I would say is every bit the quality of the Akrapovic or Brock's systems I've purchased.

The two center head pipes get connected together before going into the spigots and the two outer head pipes have a connector that you can slip on after you have put them into the spigots but before putting the springs on. All of the connectors are just a slip fit and they seem to be doing okay so far, although I only have about 15 minutes total run time on them but there's no indication of any leaks. Arrow didn't say anything about a sealant or exhaust paste but I did put a little bit of nickel anti-seize on the joints, with the exception of the head pipes into the spigots.

Install was pretty straightforward and, given you've already done it once, I'm guessing it would take you no time at all. The hardest part was all of the exhaust valve junk and pulling the EVAP canister...since I was turning both of them off in the tune I figured it was just 'dead weight'.

Here's a link to Arrow's instructions if you want a 'light' read:

Arrow Install Instructions

·
Registered
336 Posts
No problem at all...I was doing some work on it, so I just snapped a few pictures while I was out there. And the good news is my Akra is finally done so I pick it up tomorrow and can get the exhaust completely finished and the QS put on, flash it with the QS enabled in the tune and finally put all of the body panels back on.

The Arrow system is really nice and I would say is every bit the quality of the Akrapovic or Brock's systems I've purchased.

The two center head pipes get connected together before going into the spigots and the two outer head pipes have a connector that you can slip on after you have put them into the spigots but before putting the springs on. All of the connectors are just a slip fit and they seem to be doing okay so far, although I only have about 15 minutes total run time on them but there's no indication of any leaks. Arrow didn't say anything about a sealant or exhaust paste but I did put a little bit of nickel anti-seize on the joints, with the exception of the head pipes into the spigots.

Install was pretty straightforward and, given you've already done it once, I'm guessing it would take you no time at all. The hardest part was all of the exhaust valve junk and pulling the EVAP canister...since I was turning both of them off in the tune I figured it was just 'dead weight'.

Here's a link to Arrow's instructions if you want a 'light' read:

Arrow Install Instructions
Great information!

I didn't have an EVAP canister to remove, but I removed the exhaust valve servo motor and cables, eliminated the oxygen sensor, and installed block-off plates in place of the PAIR valve. As you mentioned, it was all just added weight that I no longer wanted on the bike. Removing all those components and replacing the complete OEM exhaust system with the Lextek/Akrapovic system, it's a considerable amount of weight lost. The complete stock exhaust with oxygen sensor, exhaust valve, two catalytic converters, muffler box, and especially the original slip-on, is quite heavy in comparison to the new parts. I regret not weighing the new system prior to installation, but I'd wager all toll it could be about 15-18 pounds lighter.

If you don't mind posting one, I'd love to see a pic of your modified Akra can once you mate it with the Arrow header. I'm betting it's going to look great and sound even better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to get it on tomorrow although not that I think about it I'm going to need a new clamp also as the one that came with the Akra is going to be too small in diameter. Probably won't get the pipe measured and ordered until tomorrow evening but I'm hoping Amazon can come through on a new clamp for me. I'll at least get a picture of it slipped on.

And on Brock's site here's what they list for the weights of the theirs vs. the stock system:

Katana (2020) Exhaust Weight Comparison

OEM Full Exhaust System:
  • Muffler (w/ clamp & heat shield): 5.30 lb.
  • Front Section (one piece): 17.95 lb.
    (head pipes, catalytic converter, EXUP, midpipe, etc.)
Total = 23.25 lb.

Brock's Performance Penta-Carbon Full System:
  • Muffler: 2.60 lb.
  • Head Pipes w/ Flanges: 4.30 lb.
  • Collector / Hardware: 1.80 lb.
Total = 8.70 lb.

Total Weight Savings = 14.55 lb. or 62% of OEM weight

Akrapovic claims 3.1 lbs. for the slip-on (although they list the stock muffler at 5.5 lbs.) and Arrow claims 4.34 kg (9.57 lbs.) for the exhaust, so all in it's right around 12.7 lbs. I find it hard to believe that Brock's system comes in at 4 lbs. less as there are only so many places you can save weight...the muffler I believe as there's a fair bit to the Akra slip-on but 3.4 lbs. for the rest of the exhaust seems a stretch. Either way, 11-12 lbs., give or take, isn't too far off.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to get it on tomorrow although not that I think about it I'm going to need a new clamp also as the one that came with the Akra is going to be too small in diameter. Probably won't get the pipe measured and ordered until tomorrow evening but I'm hoping Amazon can come through on a new clamp for me. I'll at least get a picture of it slipped on.

And on Brock's site here's what they list for the weights of the theirs vs. the stock system:

Katana (2020) Exhaust Weight Comparison

OEM Full Exhaust System:
  • Muffler (w/ clamp & heat shield): 5.30 lb.
  • Front Section (one piece): 17.95 lb.
    (head pipes, catalytic converter, EXUP, midpipe, etc.)
Total = 23.25 lb.

Brock's Performance Penta-Carbon Full System:
  • Muffler: 2.60 lb.
  • Head Pipes w/ Flanges: 4.30 lb.
  • Collector / Hardware: 1.80 lb.
Total = 8.70 lb.

Total Weight Savings = 14.55 lb. or 62% of OEM weight

Akrapovic claims 3.1 lbs. for the slip-on (although they list the stock muffler at 5.5 lbs.) and Arrow claims 4.34 kg (9.57 lbs.) for the exhaust, so all in it's right around 12.7 lbs. I find it hard to believe that Brock's system comes in at 4 lbs. less as there are only so many places you can save weight...the muffler I believe as there's a fair bit to the Akra slip-on but 3.4 lbs. for the rest of the exhaust seems a stretch. Either way, 11-12 lbs., give or take, isn't too far off.
Yeah, I was going to mention the need for a larger clamp, but figured you had that sorted already. And I'm not to sure about the Brock's system weighing 4 pounds less, either. Who knows what they're doing to come up with that, but at your final figure of a 12.7 pound savings on the exhaust alone, I'd think another 3-4 could be added to that for the servo motor and cables, oxygen sensor, PAIR valve (removed mine), and in your case, the EVAP canister, as well. So should be near my estimate of 15 or so pounds.

I also just swapped the Akrapovic for a Leo Vince LV-10, which is a tiny little can. Without checking their site to confirm, I'd guess I could be down a bit more there. Maybe a pound if I'm lucky. I was curious what difference in sound the Leo Vince would provide, if any at all. The difference was immediately noticeable upon first start-up after installation. It's much louder and not as smooth with a lot of deep toned gurgle. Reminds me a lot of the Alien Head system I had on my Hayabusa, which at the time I thought was kind of unique and never realized could be fairly accurately replicated by a liter bike. Sounds pretty mean and makes for one **** of a fun ride, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it over long periods of time. Will most likely put the Akra back on. I'm not in my twenties anymore. Guess I'm getting old, but maybe that's why I bought the GSX-S in the first place. 😄

·
Registered
33 Posts
Without having the slip-on in hand I can only guess at the clamp size and it looks like I've found two that will work, so I might just order both from Amazon as they're about $18 each. I weighed all the junk I pulled off the bike when I did the exhaust, which included the full PAIR system as I used block-off plates and capped the electrical connector, the exhaust valve servo, mount, cables and wiring and the entire EVAP system including the mount and all hoses, and I came in at 4.6 lbs. total if I remember correctly.

Don't know why we get a mix of 'regular' and California models here but I don't see a compelling need for the EVAP junk and it's just one more thing to have to disable in the ECU or make some kind of electrical 'fix' using a connector and resistor, which seems to be the case with any Kawasaki I have.

That Leo Vince is tiny...I imagine that might not be too much fun for a several hundred mile ride but I bet it sounds good around town. The Arrow is definitely loud and 'sharp' if that explains it and the stock can that I put on just to see what it would sound like didn't do much to tame it. Earplugs are going to be a given with it and I'm guessing the Leo is pretty similar.

I've got a Hayabusa also, two actually, and my '19 has a full Akrapovic on it, so it's pretty deep sounding and the other has what I like to call an 'axial flow rotary muffler' on it. I do have Alien Heads on my daughter's and my Z125s but they just have a deep single-cylinder 'thumper' sound to them.

I left my 20s in the rearview mirror a while ago also and that's the reason I scooped-up the Katana, I remember when they first came out and I was riding my 80 and 125 dirt bikes and I thought it was the coolest looking bike ever. Now whether or not it lets me recapture some of that youth we'll have to see. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked-up the slip-on yesterday...if you didn't know it had been modified to fit the Arrow exhaust you would never be able to tell it didn't come that way. Took a while to get it but I have ZERO complaints about the quality of the welds or workmanship. It looks absolutely perfect.

Tire Automotive tire Musical instrument Automotive lighting Rim Gadget Camera accessory Font Auto part Bumper Shoe Sneakers Font Auto part Boot

I'll get it test fit tomorrow, although the graphite gasket that was on the original exhaust slips in with just a little bit of effort, and then I'll just have to wait for the new clamps I ordered and I'll get it cleaned-up and the carbon tip ceramic coated in the interim.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Picked-up the slip-on yesterday...if you didn't know it had been modified to fit the Arrow exhaust you would never be able to tell it didn't come that way. Took a while to get it but I have ZERO complaints about the quality of the welds or workmanship. It looks absolutely perfect.

View attachment 46449 View attachment 46450 View attachment 46451

I'll get it test fit tomorrow, although the graphite gasket that was on the original exhaust slips in with just a little bit of effort, and then I'll just have to wait for the new clamps I ordered and I'll get it cleaned-up and the carbon tip ceramic coated in the interim.
Your guy did an excellent job! I'd be more than happy with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One minor fit issue that I don't think anyone could have seen coming without having the bike with the full exhaust installed and slip-on in hand to do test fitting and measuring, which will be taken care of this evening and I should be able to get it mounted tomorrow and then I just have to continue waiting on the clamps I ordered.

My hope is to have the exhaust and QS on by end-of-the-week.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One minor fit issue that I don't think anyone could have seen coming without having the bike with the full exhaust installed and slip-on in hand to do test fitting and measuring, which will be taken care of this evening and I should be able to get it mounted tomorrow and then I just have to continue waiting on the clamps I ordered.

My hope is to have the exhaust and QS on by end-of-the-week.
@MileHayabusa

Any update on the exhaust? Were you able to get the right clamp in and install the modded Akra onto the Arrow header? Really looking forward to seeing how everything turned out!

As a side note, I just ordered an Arrow header directly from a vendor in Italy. They said it was in stock and that I'd have it in hand by Monday, October 4th, so we'll see. I'm in PA and don't have too much time left before it starts getting cold, so fingers crossed that it arrives sooner than later. Now I need to figure out whether or not I want to have the Akra modified to fit as you did, or if I want to run the Leo Vince slip-on I currently have on the bike. The Leo Vince uses the graphite gasket, so it will fit the Arrow header without modification, but I'd prefer to run the Akra on the Arrow. Last option is to find another slip-on altogether which will fit without modification, but for whatever reason, it seems most of them don't use the gasket. That would just bring me back to square one and modifying it to fit.

Guess I'll have a nice lightly used Lextek header listed for sale here shortly. If anyone happens to see this and is interested, feel free to reach out. Otherwise, I'll just post it in the classifieds once I get the Arrow. I'm sure there's someone out there who wants a nice header at a fair price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@MileHayabusa

Any update on the exhaust? Were you able to get the right clamp in and install the modded Akra onto the Arrow header? Really looking forward to seeing how everything turned out!
As much as I'd love to regale with photos of the Akra mounted, tales of more horsepower than I know what to do with and a sound that rivals a siren's song, all I've got is some exhaust clamps currently sitting in a post office facility in Jacksonville, FL. In fact, not only are they sitting there bu,t based upon the tracking information, it only took our fabulous USPS 9 days for them to get from Hawthorn, FL to their current location in Jacksonville, which is 70 miles...seems they're back to using horses these days.

My definition of 'priority' and theirs is obviously wildly different. When I ordered them they were supposed to be here on the 17th at the latest. So, now it looks like the 21st is what the claim is and I likely won't have it done until Thursday or Friday of next week.

I think you'll be happy with the Arrow as it is a very nice piece and the fit is excellent. Given you've already got the Lextek on yours it's going to be a very simple remove and install. The slip-on might be a little more difficult...I do have to say, as much of a pain as the Akra has been, and like you I have no idea why anyone would build a slip-on to NOT fit the graphite gasket is ridiculous, I still think it's the best looking of the slip-ons. But completely subjective and tastes are different. I did put the slip-on on for the test fit, when I also found out it's got to be slid back that 1/2" to line-up with the mounting bracket and that meant the 'slits' in the connector extended beyond the mid-pipe and then there's my exhaust leak, and it sounded great.

Either route you chose to go I don't see that you'll be disappointed. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As much as I'd love to regale with photos of the Akra mounted, tales of more horsepower than I know what to do with and a sound that rivals a siren's song, all I've got is some exhaust clamps currently sitting in a post office facility in Jacksonville, FL. In fact, not only are they sitting there bu,t based upon the tracking information, it only took our fabulous USPS 9 days for them to get from Hawthorn, FL to their current location in Jacksonville, which is 70 miles...seems they're back to using horses these days.

My definition of 'priority' and theirs is obviously wildly different. When I ordered them they were supposed to be here on the 17th at the latest. So, now it looks like the 21st is what the claim is and I likely won't have it done until Thursday or Friday of next week.

I think you'll be happy with the Arrow as it is a very nice piece and the fit is excellent. Given you've already got the Lextek on yours it's going to be a very simple remove and install. The slip-on might be a little more difficult...I do have to say, as much of a pain as the Akra has been, and like you I have no idea why anyone would build a slip-on to NOT fit the graphite gasket is ridiculous, I still think it's the best looking of the slip-ons. But completely subjective and tastes are different. I did put the slip-on on for the test fit, when I also found out it's got to be slid back that 1/2" to line-up with the mounting bracket and that meant the 'slits' in the connector extended beyond the mid-pipe and then there's my exhaust leak, and it sounded great.

Either route you chose to go I don't see that you'll be disappointed. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.
A few months ago, I paid USPS $55 to ship my ECU to Dano's Performance for a flash using their "Priority Express" overnight service. What a joke that ended up being. It took about 32 days for them to get it there. After about three and a half weeks had passed with exactly zero tracking updates (or replies) from USPS since the day I shipped it regarding movement or current location, I decided to purchase a replacement ECU. I figured my original was lost and summer was passing me by while I had a brand new bike sitting in the garage. Of course, the day I received the new ECU is the day it magically showed up at Dano's from who knows where. I was relieved to learn that my original wasn't lost forever, but not so happy that I was now stuck with a second ECU, along a bunch of time and money wasted. Point being, I can certainly understand your frustration with USPS and their constant inability to deliver in a timely manner. You better believe I made **** sure my ECU was sent back to me via UPS.

As for the Akrapovic, I'm also at a loss as to why they made the decision to have their $750 slip-on fit without the use of the original gasket. This makes no sense when they could have made use of the gasket (like the factory slip-on), and then their top-of-the-line muffler would have been compatible with all the available systems out there, stock or otherwise. It seems to be common sense that many of the guys who are modifying their exhaust and are willing to drop the coin on their fancy slip-on might also be doing the same with the rest of the exhaust and dropping the coin on the fancy Arrow header. So here's a bright idea. If you're a performance exhaust manufacturer who's going to offer a slip-on only and not a full system, try doing your best to make the darn thing compatible with not only the factory header, but also the aftermarket headers that are out there! It would have been as simple as making it identical to the original slip-on, which oddly enough, does fit both! 🤦‍♂️

It seems to be a common theme here among several different slip-on/header combinations that they need to be slid back a bit in order to line up properly. Not sure what's going on there, but you have this issue with the Akra/Arrow combo, another member here experienced the same with his SC-Project/Black Widow combo, and I also experienced it with three different set-ups. My Akra/Lextek combo, Leo Vince/Lextek combo, and also my Akra/Dominator cat delete mid-pipe combo all resulted in the same misalignment between header and slip-on. That's five different combinations which all suffered from the exact same problem. Weird.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Something just crossed my mind that would be an easy fix for the Akrapovic slip-on being too small to fit over the Arrow header outlet, but I'm not sure if it will work.

I'll have to take a look at my Akrapovic slip-on since it's not currently on the bike. I'm wondering if I could use a tailpipe expander to open the inside diameter of the inlet enough to fit over the Arrow header outlet? If I remember correctly, the outside diameter of the OEM muffler box outlet is 45mm and the inside diameter of the inlet on the OEM slip-on is 51mm. That's a difference of 6mm, which is where the thick graphite gasket comes into play. Being 45mm on the inside and 51mm on the outside.

This means the inside diameter of the inlet on the Akra is 45mm and the outside diameter of the Arrow header outlet is 51mm. I'm wondering if the wall thickness of the tubing on the Akra inlet is heavy enough/thick enough to be expanded by 6mm (just under 1/4") without being stretched too much, which would result in it splitting or tearing. A handheld tailpipe expander is more than capable of expanding a piece of steel exhaust tubing by 1/4". Or I could take the Akra and the tail section of the Arrow header with me to a custom exhaust shop and have them use their pneumatic expander on it until a perfect slip fit was achieved.

This is a thought that just occurred to me a few minutes ago and it may not be feasible, but it would be great if it was. I'll take a look at the Akra tomorrow and see if the wall thickness looks like it can handle a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take it to an exhaust shop. You can buy reducers for not much money. I would have a reducer welded onto your slip on. Have a google for exhaust reducers to see what I'm talking about. I think the 6 mm would be to much to expand.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Take it to an exhaust shop. You can buy reducers for not much money. I would have a reducer welded onto your slip on. Have a google for exhaust reducers to see what I'm talking about. I think the 6 mm would be to much to expand.
I'm familiar with the reducers. I did have a look at my Akrapovic today and I believe you are correct. The wall thickness of the inlet does appear a bit thin and I wouldn't be comfortable attempting to expand it that much for fear of splitting it. I'll most likely either have it modified or just stick with the Leo Vince slip-on I currently have on the bike.

The good news is I already received a shipping confirmation along with a tracking number for the Arrow header, so I'm hoping to have it within a week or so. I didn't expect it to come so soon, but I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, the exhaust clamps show as 'Out for delivery' today so there is hope. I understand that more people are shopping online and the amount of packages being moved has increased significantly but I've had DHL get stuff to me from the UK, Germany, Japan and Thailand in less time than it has taken ol' faithful USPS to get me a package from California or Texas to Colorado. Over the last 2 years their service has gone into the toilet and to 'lose' a 'Priority Express' package for a month is an inexcusable joke. I would have pitched a fit and at least tried to get my $55 back but we all know how that would have likely ended-up...

Akrapovic is another one that I could go on about but it is what it is...and I have no idea how all of these differing combinations require that the slip-on be slid back 1/2" or so from the stock location. I cannot imagine every aftermarket vendor has created products that are 1/2" off, unless they got a pre-prod model from Suzuki and then something changed in production but I highly doubt it.

I had talked to the guy who did my slip-on about doing just that...expanding it to match the diameter of the Arrow mid-pipe. The Arrow measures 51.4 mm and to stretch it 6-7 mm wouldn't work. He works with mainly stainless and Ti and said you can usually safely expand both of them by roughly 4-5% but going from a 141 mm circumference to a 161 mm circumference, a roughly 14% increase, on thin wall stainless was a guarantee it would split. He says he typically will only stretch a tube enough that it will fit over itself but doesn't like to go much more than that.

Expanding it isn't an option, which led me down the path of having a new slip connector welded on.

Doesn't seem like anything is easy when it comes to exhaust setups on these things.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, the exhaust clamps show as 'Out for delivery' today so there is hope. I understand that more people are shopping online and the amount of packages being moved has increased significantly but I've had DHL get stuff to me from the UK, Germany, Japan and Thailand in less time than it has taken ol' faithful USPS to get me a package from California or Texas to Colorado. Over the last 2 years their service has gone into the toilet and to 'lose' a 'Priority Express' package for a month is an inexcusable joke. I would have pitched a fit and at least tried to get my $55 back but we all know how that would have likely ended-up...

Akrapovic is another one that I could go on about but it is what it is...and I have no idea how all of these differing combinations require that the slip-on be slid back 1/2" or so from the stock location. I cannot imagine every aftermarket vendor has created products that are 1/2" off, unless they got a pre-prod model from Suzuki and then something changed in production but I highly doubt it.

I had talked to the guy who did my slip-on about doing just that...expanding it to match the diameter of the Arrow mid-pipe. The Arrow measures 51.4 mm and to stretch it 6-7 mm wouldn't work. He works with mainly stainless and Ti and said you can usually safely expand both of them by roughly 4-5% but going from a 141 mm circumference to a 161 mm circumference, a roughly 14% increase, on thin wall stainless was a guarantee it would split. He says he typically will only stretch a tube enough that it will fit over itself but doesn't like to go much more than that.

Expanding it isn't an option, which led me down the path of having a new slip connector welded on.

Doesn't seem like anything is easy when it comes to exhaust setups on these things.
Well, I guess expanding it isn't an option anymore! And I couldn't agree more regarding USPS. DHL delivered my Lextek header in three days from England. They also delivered my Evotech components from England in the same amount of time. I just ordered a carbon fiber tank cover from Japan yesterday and chose FedEx Express. Hoping they're as efficient as DHL with international packages. Hopefully your clamp actually shows up today!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I guess expanding it isn't an option anymore! And I couldn't agree more regarding USPS. DHL delivered my Lextek header in three days from England. They also delivered my Evotech components from England in the same amount of time. I just ordered a carbon fiber tank cover from Japan yesterday and chose FedEx Express. Hoping they're as efficient as DHL with international packages. Hopefully your clamp actually shows up today!
What kind of goodies did you get from Evotech and what kind of carbon tank cover...inquiring minds would like to know.

I wanted the Evotech sliders for my H2 but they've been discontinued and I haven't been able to find them anywhere and Evotech doesn't have enough parts to 'cobble' a set together for me and I'm still waiting on their fender eliminator for the H2 to get here.

I also ordered some carbon goodness from Japan, some Magical Racing goodies for some of my bikes, although they are only 3-6 months out on stuff. At least when they're done they'll get here fairly fast. :ROFLMAO:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts