GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Fantastic. Let us know how the install goes.
You'll both love them.
I fitted a pair of the oxford heated grips and they just make riding so much more enjoyable at teped temperatures. I have always commuted to work and ridden through British winters and the biggest problem was always keeping the extremities warm and fighting off chilblains. Now it's not problem and toasty palms mean i can ride further in greater comfort.
I'll even use them in the summer time if I get caught in the rain. Sodden gloves and wind chill are no longer a problem. I wish I had changed over to them years ago.
Electric gloves are supposed to be the ultimate solution but at the moment I can use my summer gloves at almost any time of year and it's a really effective cheap alternative which allows me to change my gloves at any time without losing my comfort.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You'll both love them.
I fitted a pair of the oxford heated grips and they just make riding so much more enjoyable at teped temperatures. I have always commuted to work and ridden through British winters and the biggest problem was always keeping the extremities warm and fighting off chilblains. Now it's not problem and toasty palms mean i can ride further in greater comfort.
I'll even use them in the summer time if I get caught in the rain. Sodden gloves and wind chill are no longer a problem. I wish I had changed over to them years ago.
Electric gloves are supposed to be the ultimate solution but at the moment I can use my summer gloves at almost any time of year and it's a really effective cheap alternative which allows me to change my gloves at any time without losing my comfort.
Oh, I had them on my last bike and totally agree. It's like when you experience a heated steering wheel in a car. I'd never buy another car I drive in the cold without it now. They're fantastic.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tempted to get one of these as well. Looking forward to your guys' thoughts!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've ordered a set directly from kosonorthamerica.com so that way I know I'm getting the proper part #. No shipping notice yet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd recommend picking up a new throttle tube for the heated grip also. This way you can not go through the trouble of ungluing it when you want to go back to normal grips in summer, just swap tubes. Plus I'm pretty sure my Oxford heated grips required me to shave the ridges on the tube, dunno if the same applies to the koso.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No way I'm switching back. The Koso grips stay on year round. I just won't use the heater. I hear they're a bit fatter but I'm okay with that. Nice thought though.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hey Lou, I received mine and they look like the right thing (120mm length and the right product number). I don't have a heated garage for my bike, (just a separate shed), and it's been freakin' freezing here, so I don't know when I'll be able to do the install. :(
I'm with you though about switching back. Why? Unless the grips are uncomfortable, which would probably be a deal beaker for me anyway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Mike.

I've got mine still in the box in the car but I've done some research over the weekend and determined that the 2019 GSX-S1000 throttle tube is the same part # as the 2020 Katana throttle tube. The older years is a different part #. This is based on some diagrams from some online parts store (Suzuki parts store .com or something like that) so I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and order those first before installing the grips. Figured I'd kill 2 birds together.

I do have a garage although not heated but it's still above freezing for now so hopefully this weekend depending on timing of the tube.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey Mike.

I've got mine still in the box in the car but I've done some research over the weekend and determined that the 2019 GSX-S1000 throttle tube is the same part # as the 2020 Katana throttle tube. The older years is a different part #. This is based on some diagrams from some online parts store (Suzuki parts store .com or something like that) so I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and order those first before installing the grips. Figured I'd kill 2 birds together.

I do have a garage although not heated but it's still above freezing for now so hopefully this weekend depending on timing of the tube.
Any update? A bit of lul in the tinkering department and I'm looking for some winter projects to keep me busy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Any update? A bit of lul in the tinkering department and I'm looking for some winter projects to keep me busy.

Nope as I'm still waiting for the 2019 GSX/2020 Katana grip/throttle tube to arrive. It's been on back-order.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nope as I'm still waiting for the 2019 GSX/2020 Katana grip/throttle tube to arrive. It's been on back-order.
I'm thinking about ordering the Koso grips this week due to holiday sales. Have you had a chance to mock size it? Any issues you can foresee? It'll be going on a Throttle Tamer.

Also, are you guys using grip glue for it?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering the Koso grips this week due to holiday sales. Have you had a chance to mock size it? Any issues you can foresee? It'll be going on a Throttle Tamer.

Also, are you guys using grip glue for it?

I bought the 120mm version and haven't installed them yet but holding them up against what I've got now, they seem like they should be perfect. For a long time I could only find the 130mm length, nit the 120s. Seems like the 120's have become more readily available.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We had a relatively mild day here today (6 Celsius/43 F) so I took advantage and installed the Koso 120 mm heated grips part # AM111010 as well as the MoDoor remote garage door opener.

Before I did anything, I tested the heat on the grips by connecting the wires to the battery and they worked perfect.

I'd already pre-ordered the 2019 GSX/2020 Katana throttle tube so already had the ridges on that ground down on my grinding wheel. I chose to cut the old grips off with an exacto utility knife. The left side had a thin rubbery glue all over the handlebar that needs removing with your thumb & an old credit card. Sand paper will help too.

I sprayed some WD40 on a rag and wiped the handle bar down. Also, sprayed some directly into the inside of the Koso grip liberally and it slid in easily enough although it's still a tight fit.

The right side had no such glue as the throttle tube is there. Difficult part there is getting the 2 throttle cable nibs off. I loosened the slack as much as I could and got them off. Put the new, ground down tube on and the nibs back in (again a bit finicky). I did the same WD40 trick and this side required me tapping the grip in the last half way or so.

You'll need to remove the panels and lift the front of the tank to get the wiring over to the battery. I originally was going to go along the left side but saw the throttle cables there and didn't want to get anything snagging on those so I ran it along the right side instead. One thing I really appreciated on the Koso was that you can un-clip both sides wires about a foot or 2 from the grips and individually route each side from their respective grip and then re-connect to the back end wiring.

Koso only puts an o-ring on the end of the negative cable while the positive has a bit of exposed wire. I guess that's for those that want to splice into a live/ignition wire but for me I think I'll just get an o-ring and clamp it on and put on the battery (unless someone knows an ignition wire I can splice to?) The grips will supposedly turn off on their own if I ever forget to turn them off myself so no risk of a dead battery.

So far I highly recommend these but a ride in the cool will be the final say.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had a relatively mild day here today (6 Celsius/43 F) so I took advantage and installed the Koso 120 mm heated grips part # AM111010 as well as the MoDoor remote garage door opener.

Before I did anything, I tested the heat on the grips by connecting the wires to the battery and they worked perfect.

I'd already pre-ordered the 2019 GSX/2020 Katana throttle tube so already had the ridges on that ground down on my grinding wheel. I chose to cut the old grips off with an exacto utility knife. The left side had a thin rubbery glue all over the handlebar that needs removing with your thumb & an old credit card. Sand paper will help too.

I sprayed some WD40 on a rag and wiped the handle bar down. Also, sprayed some directly into the inside of the Koso grip liberally and it slid in easily enough although it's still a tight fit.

The right side had no such glue as the throttle tube is there. Difficult part there is getting the 2 throttle cable nibs off. I loosened the slack as much as I could and got them off. Put the new, ground down tube on and the nibs back in (again a bit finicky). I did the same WD40 trick and this side required me tapping the grip in the last half way or so.

You'll need to remove the panels and lift the front of the tank to get the wiring over to the battery. I originally was going to go along the left side but saw the throttle cables there and didn't want to get anything snagging on those so I ran it along the right side instead. One thing I really appreciated on the Koso was that you can un-clip both sides wires about a foot or 2 from the grips and individually route each side from their respective grip and then re-connect to the back end wiring.

Koso only puts an o-ring on the end of the negative cable while the positive has a bit of exposed wire. I guess that's for those that want to splice into a live/ignition wire but for me I think I'll just get an o-ring and clamp it on and put on the battery (unless someone knows an ignition wire I can splice to?) The grips will supposedly turn off on their own if I ever forget to turn them off myself so no risk of a dead battery.

So far I highly recommend these but a ride in the cool will be the final say.
Nice write up! I'm thinking I might install them this week as weather here will be similar. Just hesitant because I'm debating getting a Rizoma Race Retro clubman bar to see if it will fit on our naked...

So you didn't glue the grips, right? I have horrible visions of having a tank slapper, the grips flinging off, and me flying through the sky before I go splat.

As for a keyed ignition source, there's one behind the headlight housing. Wiring seems a little thin though. Maybe it's for the missing fang lights on our North American bikes?
https://youtu.be/tZc_Y7nbkd8

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Dave. No glue used at all and I just went into the garage and gave the left grip a good tug and there'n no way that'll ever come off. The right one was even tighter to get on so all good in that regard.

Thanks for that link but I've got the wiring fed to the battery now so it'll have to do as it is (which is perfectly fine for me).

I'm all set if we get a bit milder enough to go for a ride. :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I decided to aim the infrared heat gun at the grips and here's what I found:

Off = 4.2 Celsius
@ 1 min = 6.7
@ 2 min = 8.5
@ 3 min = 20
@ 4 min = 22
@ 5 min = 27 (81 F)

That's with the bike off so just pulling voltage from a cold battery on it's tender. Not sure if a running bike with a possibly higher voltage would affect those temps.

I do wish they warmed up quicker but again not sure if that'll change with the bike on and running.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I decided to aim the infrared heat gun at the grips and here's what I found:

Off = 4.2 Celsius
@ 1 min = 6.7
@ 2 min = 8.5
@ 3 min = 20
@ 4 min = 22
@ 5 min = 27 (81 F)

That's with the bike off so just pulling voltage from a cold battery on it's tender. Not sure if a running bike with a possibly higher voltage would affect those temps.

I do wish they warmed up quicker but again not sure if that'll change with the bike on and running.
I just installed mine and only tested it with the engine off, but agreed that warm up time is a little slow. Hopefully it won't be too bad if you just turn it on right away and then proceed with the startup ritual during bike warmup (gear, etc).

Install went well other than it looking a little short on my Fatbar Street Low, which I drilled the control switches to accommodate Progrip 719 grips (128mm length clutch side, 125mm throttle; stock and Koso are ~120mm) and throttle tamer. Grip thickness is ~35mm, stock is ~32mm. Going to do some test rides first so no glue on it yet, and it will rotate if you budge it with a good amount of force like muscling the bike on a ramp, shouldn't fling off though.

I connected it to the aux keyed ignition source behind the headlight on the naked. It's a tight fit with all the excess wiring but it works. I chose the HMU-2P connector with larger gauge wiring source option on corsa-technic, but if I had to do it again, I'd go for the smaller gauge.

Looking forward to testing it out when weather permits.

·
Registered
173 Posts
After a waay too long winter without any day I could ride we finally had a decent day where the temps were 13C here with a cool north wind. I started with the heated grips on red (max heat) and quickly turned them down to orange (1 level down from red) as they were too hot on red. I'm 100% satisfied with these!! (y)(y)

·
Registered
375 Posts
After a waay too long winter without any day I could ride we finally had a decent day where the temps were 13C here with a cool north wind. I started with the heated grips on red (max heat) and quickly turned them down to orange (1 level down from red) as they were too hot on red. I'm 100% satisfied with these!! (y)(y)
Guess I can update my impressions as well. I used these a fair bit this winter. Lowest was mid 20s (F) which was fairly comfortable on the highest setting with heated gloves and heated jacket liner. Using short sport winter gloves, you don't really need these until you get to about 40, otherwise they're a bit too toasty.

So I removed them in order to apply the glue. Having them on the highest setting made the job of removing and reinstalling a lot easier. With the bike off, I think I got about 10 minutes of juice before they shut off. It's been a while but I think that's with it connected to the battery tender.

I'll just add that the OCD in me didn't like the slight asymmetrical offset due to the integrated control switch (1cm maybe), but luckily for me I had just enough gap available to push the left grip in further to even things out. I don't think the gap is available with the stock handlebar though. Not a big issue but just something to note for the nitpicky. Otherwise, I'm really happy with these grips.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'll agree with @gsxdave on the glue.

I was out this past weekend where the heated grips were on for the whole ride of over an hour. Towards the end of the ride the left grip started moving if I turned my hand. Guess the heat softened up the grip enough that it'd turn where when cold it would not.

Anyways, it was easy enough when I got home to remove the grip while still warm and apply the included super glue to the inside of the grip and slip it back on without removing any of the wiring - a 2 minute job.

The right grip I had no issues with so I left that one alone.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts