GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit premature as I have yet to buy a GSXS. I want to keep the clean look of the bike but still carry some luggage. The Kriega range of tailpacks may fit my needs but I don't know if they will fit well to that small pillion seat. Has anyone fitted the Kriega US10 or US20 bags?

My current and 2 previous bikes were fitted with the Ventura Rack system with the sport pack bag or 30L RJs bag. The Ventura is a excellent system but I don't want to fit this to the GSXS.

I have a Kriega R30 backpack and am very impressed by the quality and function on Kriega gear. One downside of the tailpacks is they aren't any easy open and drop stuff in bag; - but I have a tank bag for that. Other brands of tail bag have bunges to secure them - I hate the thought of bunges and other random straps on the bike.

Link to Kriega stuff: www.kriega.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a 20 and a 30 tail bag, just haven't looked at fitting them to the gsxs. If I get a chance after work, I'll have a look and see how they go.

I usually tape up the painted sections around the pillion seat to stop any damage when the bag is rubbing on the paint.
Duct tape first, as it doesnt leave horrible residue that's hard to remove. Then on top of that, I put some 100 mile and hour tape/ race tape/ gaffer tape/ whatever you want to call it haha.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Kriega tail packs, a 30l and three 20l bags. They are really excellent luggage bags and I can't see me ever using anything else. I'very only used it the once so far on the GSXS. No problems what so ever with getting it all attached. Underneath the pillion tail seat, part of the frame that runs up through there and you can attach the straps to it and then they sit out from under the seat. You attach the bags to the straps. Really simple and your luggage is secure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Krieger 30L size

I have the Kriega tail packs, a 30l and three 20l bags. They are really excellent luggage bags and I can't see me ever using anything else. I'very only used it the once so far on the GSXS. No problems what so ever with getting it all attached. Underneath the pillion tail seat, part of the frame that runs up through there and you can attach the straps to it and then they sit out from under the seat. You attach the bags to the straps. Really simple and your luggage is secure.
I thought the 30L may be too large/ wide to fit on the seat and that is why I was thinking of a 20L and 10L combo. What advice can you provide on the relative size of the 30L and 20L on the bike?

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's no doubt the 30l does fill the whole of the pillion seat but it's not hanging over the sides. I personally think the 20l, 10l combo would be too small, especially the 10l bags, but I suppose it all depends how much you want to take with you and how long you'd be away for. I could maybe try and get a pic for you of the kit on my bike so you can see how it looks and get you the dimensions of the tailbacks too. I wouldn't use any other luggage now after having the Kriega and have had full pannier and top box systems before on other bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like to get the weight a bit lower down and like the looks of the SWMotech Blaze soft bags. They are stable, look decent and come with waterproof inner bags that have kept everything dry for me so far - even through a downpour.

They are bike specific and it's easy to throw a tail bag or use a net for quick access stuff (I use the ogio).
by motorbike - SUZUKI - GSX-S 1000 - SW-MOTECH

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kriega fitted - photos

Bike arrived and now fitted up.

Kriega luggage is my choice for this bike. I have had Ventura pack frames on previous bikes but don't consider the frame a good choice for this sports bike. The Kriega gear is the US10, US20 and Tank. The Tank item should protect the petrol tank from scratches and provide a platform to fit an existing magnetic tank bag to as well as the US10.

I used double sided Velcro tape with washers glued on as a means of connecting the magnetic tank bag to the Kriega Tank. I may only use the magnetic bag when both the US10 and US20 are full and on the pillion set. If I carry a pillion I have the choice of the US10 or magnetic bag on the Tank. Or buy another US10 ;).

Touring light (in sports mode) - 30L of luggage is ample for a few days away.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the 20l bag like if its say only half full? is it all floppy and likely to rub on the bike?
The straps compress the bag which would need to be quarter full or there abouts to be firm. The 20L bag will go inside the 10L and half fills it so there are more options. The bag could rub on the painted area behind the pillion seat and I have considered putting 3M protective film on there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The bag could rub on the painted area behind the pillion seat and I have considered putting 3M protective film on there.
Dennis,
I had the tailpiece covered with 3M (matte to go with the grey paint) for the same reason with my Oxford throwovers. Works perfectly and covers the compound curves with no problem. I had mine done professionally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those with the US30, would it be possible to upload a picture with it attached. I'm keen to get the 30+10+10 combo but it really doesn't seem like it would fit lengthways (at least without compromising my space on the seat) and hence I'm thinking I might need to buy the 20+10+10 combo instead.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the US20, this is how it looks in my bike.

https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37130&thumb=1
https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37132&thumb=1

It is enough for a weekend or even 3 nights, but it would be very tight for anything else, also it depends if you have to carry raining gear, etc... then it is not very big...

I don't like how it is when it is not full, it looks like it's not secure enough from my point of view, so I always try to get stuff until it's full... Anyway, I always use it for weekend trips, so it is not a problem to fill it...

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am a big fan of Kriega kit. Have a US20, 2 US10s, R30 rucksack, R3 bumbag, Harness Pocket, and a tank adapter. None of it has ever let me down.

Did you strap yours to the rear subframe? I'm planning on getting a Hepco and Becker plate to mount the US bags on when I go on tour next year as I have trouble trusting them to just the seat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I mount my US30 to my gsxs without any plate. The front two straps mount to the subframe, and the rear two loop together under the seat. Seems secure enough, doesn't shift around at all.

I've been thinking of getting the hepco becker sport rack so I can mount a rotopax to carry some extra fuel, but I don't think it's necessary for a kriega tail pack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my case, the two rear straps go under the seat, the front ones to the passenger foot pegs (not the foot pegs themselves, but the bars that hold them), no plate. The straps under the seat are always there, and the front straps are installed/removed in seconds, it is truly a quick thing to install and remove...

I was thinking about the Hepco and Becker "C-Bow" mounts for the side soft bags for longer trips, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with the fender eliminator I have installed, does anyone has experience with it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the US20. Let's just say its everything they say about it and more. It was 30 minutes fiddling with the attachment, but you only have to do it once. Then taking it on and off is a matter of seconds.

It takes surprising amount of stuff. Here, I have it with laptop (in protective sleeve), charger, a 0.75l bottle and a big load of groceries my wife asked me at the last minute to pick up. Then I went on for an hour in the mountains and didn't even notice it was there. Thoroughly impressed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts