GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished installing a set of Kuryakyn Phantom bar end mirrors in gloss black. $160 CDN on Amazon.

First off, the quality is amazing. These are really built well. The swivel in the mirror head socket is very firm.... you have to give it a good tug to reposition it. The optics are crystal clear. They install easily, replacing your stock bar end weights with a metal sleeve that compresses on itself to hold them on. Added a little locktite on the screw so they should be good to go.

After looking at the crazy prices of CRG and Rizoma, I decided to go back to my cruiser roots and discovered these. Glad I did.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Related to Goon's question. Can you use the OEM bar ends with them? I got rid of my OEM bar-ends temporarily for some delrin machined slider version and was very unhappy with the vibration, so I went back to stock. I found some bar-end mirrors that work with the stock bar-ends and they have been good, but I also like the look of the Kuryakyn Phantom's. Also, are they convex (increased field of view)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Related to Goon's question. Can you use the OEM bar ends with them? ... Also, are they convex (increased field of view)?
Sorry guys, the weather took a turn for worse here right after install with rain and cool temps. I'm a fair weather rider, so I haven't had a chance to test if vibrations have increased.

If I find that the mirrors cause too much vibration, I will replace the metal bar end inserts from Kuryakyn with the stock rubber ones. I'll report back once I can get out again.

And yes, the mirrors are very slightly convex.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

We got some unseasonably warm weather here in the Toronto area today, so I had a chance to finally ride with these new Kuryakyn mirrors. Visibility was greatly improved, but it does take a bit to get used to the smaller sized mirror. It really does feel great to not have those stock mirror stems in front of you. Very freeing.

And yes, vibration was a problem. It felt minor at the start of my ride, but after an hour my hands were buzzing. So I ended up replacing the Kuryakyn bar-end internals with stock ones, and I used the stock bar end weight. Didn't even need a longer screw!! Pic attached. Hoping to get out for another ride tomorrow to evaluate again, but I'd say this mod worked out perfectly. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 2:

No problems using the stock bar end weight and internals. Bar vibration is non-issue again, mirrors perform well and hold in place firmly. 10/10 upgrade for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts