GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before about my fuel pump failing when it only had around 600 miles if I remember right. Dealer replaced the pump. I finally take the bike out for a really good ride, got into it a good amount. Started with a full tank with a little bit of seafoam fuel stabilizer in it and I rode about 100miles. 5 miles away from my house, I get into it again and the bike kept surging around 9.5-10k rpm. I was in 2nd and 3rd. I thought to myself, its acting just like the pump failing again. Pulled over and did a u turn and tried it in 4th. Hoping it's just a 1-3 gear factory limiter. I didnt get a chance to pin 4th. Bike has power everywhere else. Will lift the front 1-3 if I want it to.

During the rest of the ride, I never noticed any hiccups with power delivery.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the bike has been winter stored, and it has the fuel from last year in it, I suggest you drain it, put it in your car, and refill the tank with fresh fuel. That’s what I personally do with my bikes every year. I didn’t do that recently with a cbr600f4i I had, and when I took it out for its first spring ride I wondered why the engine was so noisy and gutless (I’d stored it with stabilizer in the tank). Fresh fuel cured that problem. Worth a try.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the bike has been winter stored, and it has the fuel from last year in it, I suggest you drain it, put it in your car, and refill the tank with fresh fuel. That’s what I personally do with my bikes every year. I didn’t do that recently with a cbr600f4i I had, and when I took it out for its first spring ride I wondered why the engine was so noisy and gutless (I’d stored it with stabilizer in the tank). Fresh fuel cured that problem. Worth a try.
This is what I am going to try because the bike ran excellent with WOT. just that higher rpm gave it a fit. Thinking maybe gas/octane was the issue instead of pump. If it continues. I am just going to buy a quantum pump for 80 and be done with it. Doesn't feel like a injector issue either since it doesn't feel like it's missing/knocking.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If it continues. I am just going to buy a quantum pump for 80 and be done with it.
Never heard of one. Interesting. Be nice to have a write up if you go that route.

EDIT: Checking the website there are two replacements for the 15100-04K00, which on Ron Ayers lists for $349!!!!. The quantum lists for less than $100. Wow, and it says a complete bolt in replacement. Very interesting. Two different fuel pump "kits" are listed.
Quantum Intank EFI Fuel Pump w/ Regulator & Tank Seal for Suzuki GSXS1000 GSXS 1000 2015-2020, Replaces 15100-04K00
Quantum T35 Intank Fuel Pump w/ Regulator for Suzuki GSXS1000 GSXS 1000 2015-2020, Replaces 15100-04K00
My question is what is the difference, or is there none beside one less o-ring in the cheaper option?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never heard of one. Interesting. Be nice to have a write up if you go that route.

EDIT: Checking the website there are two replacements for the 15100-04K00, which on Ron Ayers lists for $349!!!!. The quantum lists for less than $100. Wow, and it says a complete bolt in replacement. Very interesting. Two different fuel pump "kits" are listed.
Quantum Intank EFI Fuel Pump w/ Regulator & Tank Seal for Suzuki GSXS1000 GSXS 1000 2015-2020, Replaces 15100-04K00
Quantum T35 Intank Fuel Pump w/ Regulator for Suzuki GSXS1000 GSXS 1000 2015-2020, Replaces 15100-04K00
My question is what is the difference, or is there none beside one less o-ring in the cheaper option?
I found out about the quantum pump from Roy on this website. Never looked into Ron Ayers. I have heard the suzuki pump is around 350. If I find out this is another bad oem pump, I am done with them and will try something else. Weather in Maryland still sucks so I haven't been able to ride again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I did some research on these quantum pumps, look risky. Good performance but they don't seem to have a check valve or shut the fuel off if the pump has no power.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah I did some research on these quantum pumps, look risky. Good performance but they don't seem to have a check valve or shut the fuel off if the pump has no power.

Is that a major downside? Old bikes with carbs didnt have fuel pumps, and there was the potential of fuel draining into the engine if the float was defective. But with fuel injection, correct me if I’m wrong, no fuel can get into the engine when it’s off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that a major downside? Old bikes with carbs didnt have fuel pumps, and there was the potential of fuel draining into the engine if the float was defective. But with fuel injection, correct me if I’m wrong, no fuel can get into the engine when it’s off.
Not so much a downside if the bike is together. But if you were to wreck and rip a fuel line. That's how fires can easily start.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not so much a downside if the bike is together. But if you were to wreck and rip a fuel line. That's how fires can easily start.

Might be a worry on an old dirt bike, but a street bike? Not something I’d worry about personally. I raced vintage bikes for a number of years, and saw plenty of crashes. The bike catching fire was not commonplace.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the bike out for a good 40 mile ride today. Bike easily hit redline every time. I am thinking it was either old gas in the secondary injectors possibly clogging them up or just old gas in general. Going to ride it again next warmer day, if it does it again. Off to the dealer for another warranty issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate this bike more and more again. This bike is acting like the fuel pump is failing again. After 15 to 20 miles it has no power and surges. Starts surging/hesitation around 8k rpms then S the ride continues will start to do it around 5k rpms. It's 100% not a vent hose from the tank as I have checked it already. Anyone else having this many fuel issues with pumps besides me and Roy?

·
Registered
356 Posts
You may not have a choice but to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may not have a choice but to visit the dealer.
Already have the appointment setup. Unfortunatelyit will be three weeks before then. I am tempted to trade the bike in for a new bike. I am losing trust with this bike let alone the frustration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does any body have a picture of the vent hose under the tank. I am wondering if the hose with the t was not installed correctly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts