GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help me.
I've fitted a led integrated tail light with a resistor and all was well. I then fitted led front indicators with resistors and they flashed fast so I fitted a relay. Left side worked fine but when I turned the right side on they flashed fine but the left side also flashed but dim. I tried to remove the resistors but now they all flash at once! Any advice for someone who is rubbish at these kinds of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went on eBay and got an electronic flasher relay. Eliminates the need for bulky resistors, extra wiring, and they are cheap. I got the right part number from one of the other threads on this forum, just search around a little and I'm sure you"ll find it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will try to help you here by explaining a few things.

The reason why LED indicators flash to fast is due to the fact that LED lights have very little resistance compared to the standard bulb. This basically messes up the flasher unit and causes the fast flashing. One way of fixing this is to replace the resistance the bulb would have given by wiring in a resistor in parrallel hence the resistor fixes the issue and the flasher unit then works as it would have done basically unaware the indicators are now LED. Another way to address the problem is to change the flasher unit for one designed to cope with the low resistance of the LED light. If you do this there is no need for resistors as you have addressed the issue at the flasher unit. You should also be aware that some flasher units have a variable resistor included this means that you can adjust the resistance at the flasher unit for the whole system. This is usually done via a small screw on the flasher unit what you do here is indicate in a direction then adjust this screw slowly. you should see a change in flashing speed once you have set this correctly it sould be the same for the whole system.

However i can see from your issues you may have got confused so here is what i would do in practical tearms to fix your bike

step 1: return the wiring at the indicators to standard remove what you have done so far ( just wire the led indicators in directly no resistors Note if one does not light this is prob because you have the positive and negative the wrong way round on that light LED = Light ommiting Diode and a diode is an electrical thingy whatsit that only allows the electric thingys to pass in one direction ie a one way street )

step 2: check all indicators work as intended (dont care about fast flashing yet) if you still have an issue now then you have not returned wiring to factory properly so double check what you did and make sure that you correctly insolate everywhere you may have cut into rince and repeate.

step 3: replace your flasher unit with one designed for LED's

setp 4: check everything still works ok (if you suddenly get issues now it could be a fualty flasher unit)

step 5: if there is adjustment on the flasher unit then adjust it to correct flashing speed

step 6: insure everything is well insolated (soldering and shrink tube works good here and i always tape it as well to be sure remember that it needs to be waterproof as well as cope with lots of vibration etc.. so take your time here and do a good job)

step 7: make sure everything is neatly packed away and not snagged on pannels or pulled over tight etc. then put bike back together and enjoy !

step 8: after your ride enjoy a nice beer to selabrate overcoming your fear and worries about thoes pesky elctrical gremlins.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Screw messing with resistors, did the taillight come with a wiring harness without the resistors? Just get a blinker relay made for LED lights and you won't need any resistors in the front or back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts