GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nitrous installed on my motorcycle and I live in north Texas. After several different comments by GSXS members, I checked into the legality of having nitrous installed in Texas.

After consulting with several different police officers in the north Texas area, I have found out they all say it is legal to have it installed, but not legal to use it.

Nitrous usage can violate the emissions standards, and Texas has an emission law. There are no "direct" Texas laws regarding nitrous installations\usage on vehicles. You can have a nitrous kit installed, and a police officer can pull you over to question you about using it on public roads because of the "possible" emissions violation.

Currently there are only 3 "Aftermarket Modifications" covered on the TxDPS website. The items listed on that page represent common modifications that can affect a vehicle’s inspection. The 3 mentioned modifications are Air Intake Modifications, Vehicle Height Adjustments, and Vehicle Lighting.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI...arketModif.htm

I have had my nitrous installed on my motorcycle for months, police have seen my mounted bottle, and I have NOT been pulled over and questioned about it. However, I don't ride like a fool and I don't run from police.

So in Texas, nitrous is legal to have it installed... for now.

Reactions: Srad749

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
um, why? the bike is already beasty, are you nuts?

how does it operate? switch on the handlebars? what is it like to ride with the nitros kicking in? what is the expected increase to horsepower?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want the bike faster.

I'm not totally nuts. Been racing for decades.

I have 3 switches on the bars:
1. Nitrous system power switch,
2. MAP switch (Nitrous Tune or N\A Tune), and
3. Throttle module power switch (module Powers on Nitrous @ Throttle % that I set).

When the system if FULLY armed, when the throttle is at or beyond a % of Throttle, the Nitrous solenoid will open automatically. Basically... I just hold on, twist the Throttle, and the NOS fires automatically.

My goal is to break 200HP with stock internals.

Reactions: Jaked and bking1441

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fixed that for you.

Seriously though, ****, that is awesome.

I have already hit 164 HP at 9,200 rpm with only a 20HP shot of NOS. My bike cannot safely make any more HP with the stock exhaust and my NOS setup.

I really don't want to break anything in my engine, but if something breaks, I'll fix it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cooool! Are you running this through the stock ecu, or have you switched across to something else?

·
Registered
17 Posts
your cat will melt down if you use it a lot. get rid of the cat when using spray

your engine should be able to handle more - stainless valves in this motor
rods in the motor should be good to 200hp - had an 05 with a bunch of work running on meth

im not sure about the new pistons i think they are now powdered metal

jason

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your cat will melt down if you use it a lot. get rid of the cat when using spray

your engine should be able to handle more - stainless valves in this motor
rods in the motor should be good to 200hp - had an 05 with a bunch of work running on meth

im not sure about the new pistons i think they are now powdered metal

jason
AGREED! I am shooting for 200HP. My 2 step exhaust is almost finished. I will continue the find the best tune and hopefully... 200HP will be achieved.

Reactions: Jaked

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just one thing. For the love of goat, please don't install a super long swingarm and a 240 rear. Nitros or not, that ain't cool.

Otherwise, I completely approve of your mad hunt for horsepower.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just one thing. For the love of goat, please don't install a super long swingarm and a 240 rear. Nitros or not, that ain't cool.

Otherwise, I completely approve of your mad hunt for horsepower.
No car tire or an extended swingarm either. :D

Reactions: Jaked

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well... I had to get my motorcycle inspected today, and I got it inspected with the nitrous still installed.

The inspection guy was all around the motorcycle, but he never said anything about the nitrous.

I paid my Texas inspection fee of $7.00, got my receipt & paper work, and was back on my motorcycle in less than 15 minutes.

I was a little worried the inspection guy would say something about the nitrous, but he didn't say anything about it.

For what its worth... the inspection guy did want to see if my motorcycle had a catalytic converter, and he got down to look under my motorcycle.

I didn't ask why he looked for a catalytic converter. I just let him do his inspection so I could get out of there with my Nitrous!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

1 - 14 of 14 Posts