GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to lift the tank on my F model and it starts with removing the black meter panels (don't know why they're called that) which are the panels facing up on either side if the fairing. Removing the pushpin and two screws is easy enough but the directions in the owner's manual for actually dismounting the panel are a bit vague and the illustrations are lame. The instructions simply say "disengage the hooks" and that's it.

EDIT: I finally figured it out, but it's always scary bending and applying pressure to plastic parts... Once you get the rear clip out from under the faring to above the fairing, just pull towards the back of the bike and she pops right off.

The main reason I want to lift the tank is A) to learn how and check out access to the air box and B) to try and find the speedometer plug to attach a SpeedoDRD and get the speedometer to read correctly. Right now it's about 8% high. I do the same thing on my DL650 and they work like a charm.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's a job I'm about to tackle myself to fit my heated grips so thanks for the info! I noticed a small scratch on my tank after the first service, pretty sure it happened when they removed / refitted the panels but couldn't prove it :(

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's a job I'm about to tackle myself to fit my heated grips so thanks for the info! I noticed a small scratch on my tank after the first service, pretty sure it happened when they removed / refitted the panels but couldn't prove it :(
Once the meter panels are removed, there are is a screw/bolt on both sides that hold the tank cover down and it's behind the edge of the fairing. you'll have to loosen the fairing to get a 5mm allen wrench on it. A bit of a pain.

Funny you mentioned the scratch, Martin. I had the dealer do my 600-mile service just yesterday and got it back like this with a deep scratch on the tank cover. I know the tech knew he did it but hoped I wouldn't notice. The service manager said "no problem, we can touch that up." I said no way, I don't want touch up paint on a ten-day old bike, I want a new tank cover. He didn't argue with me and ordered one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bloody right i would have a new one!!
Touch up a scratch that they put there **** no.
My bike always goes in spotless and I let them know that I have personally cleaned it from top to bottom so they know that I know there is not a mark on it.
Saying that I ride a naked so they also know not to mess with a real man ;-)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Once the meter panels are removed, there are is a screw/bolt on both sides that hold the tank cover down and it's behind the edge of the fairing. you'll have to loosen the fairing to get a 5mm allen wrench on it. A bit of a pain.

Funny you mentioned the scratch, Martin. I had the dealer do my 600-mile service just yesterday and got it back like this with a deep scratch on the tank cover. I know the tech knew he did it but hoped I wouldn't notice. The service manager said "no problem, we can touch that up." I said no way, I don't want touch up paint on a ten-day old bike, I want a new tab cover. He didn't argue with me and ordered one.
Yep, that's the one, although the damage to mine is much less noticeable...

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
My fairing was scratched on the right upper tip by the tank about an 1/8'' long the day I picked it up and I did'nt notice till I got home. Showed the dealer a week later and they told me to pound sand. I wrote a two page letter to Suzuki about that and some other stuff the dealer pulled. Not really expecting to hear anything back from Suzuki though.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Apparently, they didn't read the manual which specifically and very clearly states that when removing the meter panels....
Heck. My dealer tech didnt even know how to line up the handlebar dots to the upper clamp when I picked my bike up!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well, put in my power commander. Used tons of tape and rags to avoid it but somehow ended up with the dreaded scratch even after being crazy careful. Not sure if I did it taking things apart but its there. Its light enough that I will leave it till I service something and replace the cover. Jeez, Suzuki could not have made a worse design if they tried.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just contacted a couple of agents about availability for a SpeedoDRD and was advised it's not available for our bikes. Just wondering how you got on 'Stromer" and what model DRD did you buy. I'm thinking of changing my front sprocket to a larger one as I'm continually trying to change up a gear even though I know I'm already in 6th. If I do I'm sure my speedo will be way out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I just contacted a couple of agents about availability for a SpeedoDRD and was advised it's not available for our bikes. Just wondering how you got on 'Stromer" and what model DRD did you buy. I'm thinking of changing my front sprocket to a larger one as I'm continually trying to change up a gear even though I know I'm already in 6th. If I do I'm sure my speedo will be way out.
Nope!
You'll be pleased to hear the Speedo is picked up from the front wheel and not the gearbox so it will have no effect on what cogs you run

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Nope!
You'll be pleased to hear the Speedo is picked up from the front wheel and not the gearbox so it will have no effect on what cogs you run
This is great info right here, lots of people would probably change the gearing if they knew they didn't need a speedo healer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts