GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and it sounds like the M4 exhaust is the best choice due to the longer secondaries. But, I'm not a fan of the lower exit exhausts, I would prefer the muffler be in the same location as any aftermarket slip-on. Has anyone come across a company that sells a link pipe for the M4 header that would put the muffler in the stock location?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ebay has cat elimination pipe. Nut sure if it locates the muffler where you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gritty, I saw that. I'd rather go with full header vs de-cat pipe. I don't have a GSXS yet, but am seriously considering selling my FZ-10 next year and picking up an F model, so just trying to get this figured out as it will be the only thing that isn't a straight "bolt-on".

I guess it may be possible to use the de-cat pipe to cut/weld on to the M4 header to get it where I want it. I'll have to see what's available if/when I am able to pick up a GSXS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that is a good option, I've used Burns Stainless before for small custom sections of pipe. I may have to do that if there is no direct bolt-on option. Thanks mattnz.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
I would try the link pipe that was suggested from eBay or doesn't a UK company sell just link pipes & silencers...?
I had it saved on phone before I bought M4...can't remember at moment.

Agree 100% not a huge fan of the super short exhaust, I used the 2020 Katana system from them & love it! Pics are somewhere on here, can post if you'd like.
With baffle(one that comes with) sounds is perfect.
Been thinking of grabbing another baffle to play with...super easy to change, just if I want it loud for the ride here or there 😂

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
I'm not sure how the link pipes will work though, they are made for OEM header, to extend that from stock location.
From what I found before, unlike the Arrow which DOES exit at the same point as the Oem header, M4 does it's own thing exiting at a different point.
Find a cool exhaust shop, they'll have stainless pipe there & should, again if they are a cool shop, bend you the piece you need at very little cost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how the link pipes will work though, they are made for OEM header, to extend that from stock location.
From what I found before, unlike the Arrow which DOES exit at the same point as the Oem header, M4 does it's own thing exiting at a different point.
Find a cool exhaust shop, they'll have stainless pipe there & should, again if they are a cool shop, bend you the piece you need at very little cost.
Yep, that's my issue, the M4 doesn't exit at the stock location. I like the look of the Katana exhaust better with the more angled up pipe. Is that the only difference between the two, the angle of the muffler? Are the headers and secondaries exactly the same? Thanks for the reply Rellamax, that gives me a new possibility.

Would like to see a pic of the muffler angle relative to the side of the bike. Would like to see if the pipe is pointing straight back and up or if it's point out and up. If it's point straight back, may be pretty easy to add a section of pipe.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
Hope pics show well. Are from when I first put on. "Front" 3/4 of system is exactly the same 2015-2020 they (m4) for whatever reason on their site put that system as 2020 Katana & don't offer/display it for the GSXS's🤷🏻‍♂️
no idea why.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks much better, thanks for posting the pics! I'm kinda partial to PipeWerx, I'd probably have them build a muffler for it.

Reactions: Rellamax309

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
Off topic, you have the fz-10?
How are they back to back?
Was either that or 1 of these...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t have, and have not ridden a gsxs yet, so can’t give a comparison.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and it sounds like the M4 exhaust is the best choice due to the longer secondaries. But, I'm not a fan of the lower exit exhausts, I would prefer the muffler be in the same location as any aftermarket slip-on. Has anyone come across a company that sells a link pipe for the M4 header that would put the muffler in the stock location?
I have this one on an arrow header and makes the exhaust exit in the stock location, might work for the M4. Lextek Motorcycle Products - Stainless Steel Link Pipe for Suzuki GSXS 1000 F 1520
Search around for the part number you can probably find it in the States.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Off topic, you have the fz-10?
How are they back to back?
Was either that or 1 of these...
I rode both before choosing the Suzuki, the Yam was more powerful but the throttle control was awful in town traffic, I had to keep on the back brake when at junctions etc because the bike was surging forward. Also Yam had flat harder seat with lower bars feeling like a motorcross bike. The Suzuki was more comfy for me and easier to get on with as a day to day ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I can attest to the jerky throttle and terrible seat on the FZ-10. But with an ECU flash from 2Wheel and a Yamaha comfort seat reworked by KonTour, both have been 100% resolved.

I'd like to see/hear a comparison between the two bikes once the "normal" mods have been done and the ECUs have been flashed.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
Lextek is the company that sells link pipes & silencers for gsxs & many others.
Full system too iirc

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the black Arrow tailpipe connected with a Dominator link pipe and turkey tray removed, not too noisy and no problem at MOT time, same length as standard pipe using the original mounting points no ugly metal hanging down from above, retains the heat shield too.
P1010067.JPG
P1010064.JPG
P1010064.JPG
P1010067.JPG

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
A good muffler shop can bend and form a link pipe to fit the way you want. in other words, you can have one made easy peezy.
just take the bike and muffler in, and tell them “hey, I want this muffler here at this angle, need a link pipe to connect to there” ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Rapido, my issue is that none of the exhaust shops near me have mandrel benders and I don’t want a pipe that has different/lesser diameters at the bends.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts