GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this mod yet? I've done it to a dirtbike but not my street bike. I'm trying to plan some weight saving mods for my soon to be home non abs s1000.

I hoping with a battery, arrow headers, mudflap delete, exhaust servo delete, and any other non essential removal to drop 20lbs. I dont know how lofty that goal is yet though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My lithium battery is now over two years old. It will be three years in May. Its now a big, "Whatever"..it just works. No issues and its a shorai brand. Slow start under 35 degrees, but otherwise theres no idea its not a regular battery. Get one, and dont over maintain it. I bought a shorai charger figuring the cells needed to be balanced after 2 yrs.

The charger stayed in balance mode for 10 seconds, then shut off. Battery was fine, and had been so all along.

I believe the issue with the lithium batteries is....ok, pretend I linked you to the oil thread, or break in thread.

Notice how people do things because thats the way they've always done it. That often times works, but not with this battery. Hook it up to a battery tender, and it will fry the things.

If you get one, buy it and leave it alone. If you buy their charger, dont use it all the time.

I was 100 miles from home, and I parked my bike. Ten hours later, I go back. I had accidentally left the bike in "park" and the taillight was on. It fired right up as if nothing happened.

Plus, the weight. How else can you save 5lbs for 200.00? Also, its small size means I can carry a tire repair kit, under the seat.

Yes, we get it. We can go on a diet. .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My lithium battery is now over two years old. It will be three years in May. Its now a big, "Whatever"..it just works. No issues and its a shorai brand. Slow start under 35 degrees, but otherwise theres no idea its not a regular battery. Get one, and dont over maintain it. I bought a shorai charger figuring the cells needed to be balanced after 2 yrs.

The charger stayed in balance mode for 10 seconds, then shut off. Battery was fine, and had been so all along.

I believe the issue with the lithium batteries is....ok, pretend I linked you to the oil thread, or break in thread.

Notice how people do things because thats the way they've always done it. That often times works, but not with this battery. Hook it up to a battery tender, and it will fry the things.

If you get one, buy it and leave it alone. If you buy their charger, dont use it all the time.

I was 100 miles from home, and I parked my bike. Ten hours later, I go back. I had accidentally left the bike in "park" and the taillight was on. It fired right up as if nothing happened.

Plus, the weight. How else can you save 5lbs for 200.00? Also, its small size means I can carry a tire repair kit, under the seat.

Yes, we get it. We can go on a diet. .
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I almost burned out mine doing the charger thing too. It started popping and i pulled it before it was damaged. Lesson learned. Anyways i wish it was more than 5 lbs but thats a good start on the weight savings goal though. Already a quarter of the way towards the 20lb goal. Ill be lighter than a stock gsxr soon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It might be more than 5lbs. I dont recall the specifics, it could have been 6-7.

Our sport-ish bikes dont come with massive batteries, anyway. Still, when you grab the box it ships in, you will feel ripped off. You expect "battery" and you'd swear it had to fall out of the package in shipment. Then you open, and there it is.

My shorai might be a bit heavier than some. Shorai makes a super strong outer shell that some of the others dont have.

I think next time I will try the ballistic brand. Notice how small it is. Id try it just for the extra storage space it would free up, not from a performance issue.

Shorai Motorcycle Battery Review vs. Ballistic Motorcycle Battery Comparison Review - webBikeWorld

Its also small, physically. You can store a tire repair kit, with mini compressor, in the left over space.
I hated to replace a perfectly good oem battery, but in this case it was worth it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That model looks VERY shorai like. My terminals look identical, but does not have the double sets. Mine has just one set.

I'll bet its good. Ive had my battery tender jr forever, and its been beaten to death. Thats a company I would trust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That model looks VERY shorai like. My terminals look identical, but does not have the double sets. Mine has just one set.

I'll bet its good. Ive had my battery tender jr forever, and its been beaten to death. Thats a company I would trust.
I have been using battery tender stuff for awhile, first battery though. It should be GTG though. Also adding their battery leads and a 5v usb vharger setup for my ram mount.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been using battery tender stuff for awhile, first battery though. It should be GTG though. Also adding their battery leads and a 5v usb vharger setup for my ram mount.

Out of curiosity, what are their leads supposed to do? Do you have a link for the leads?

I do recall hearing about old bikes having issues with this type of battery. Something about their regulators charging at too high of voltage.

Never has an issue with my bike.

I believe an important step with this battery is to do all you can to forget about it. The folks who had issues were the ones who insisted on using trickle chargers (old style) or, those who always kept it "topped off".

This battery will start a compact car, half charged. I've done it, to be real honest.

When its cold out, lets say under 35-40 degrees, you do need to "heat up" the battery, or wake it up. It will act dead when its cold.

Best way I've found to do this is to let the turn signal flash for 2-3 minutes. Once you do that, it fires up normally. Thats not true, either, It fires up FAST.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, what are their leads supposed to do? Do you have a link for the leads?

I do recall hearing about old bikes having issues with this type of battery. Something about their regulators charging at too high of voltage.

Never has an issue with my bike.

I believe an important step with this battery is to do all you can to forget about it. The folks who had issues were the ones who insisted on using trickle chargers (old style) or, those who always kept it "topped off".

This battery will start a compact car, half charged. I've done it, to be real honest.

When its cold out, lets say under 35-40 degrees, you do need to "heat up" the battery, or wake it up. It will act dead when its cold.

Best way I've found to do this is to let the turn signal flash for 2-3 minutes. Once you do that, it fires up normally. Thats not true, either, It fires up FAST.
I have one in my dirtbike, and its been flawless. I don't even think about it. so the leads are for their trickle charger so you don't have to remove the battery for charging. then I add the 5v usb adapter to it so I can charge my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NCOKZQ/ref=ya_st_dp_summary#immersive-view_1456243388643

And this for charging

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0195AEO4I/ref=ya_st_dp_summary#immersive-view_1456243583216

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its too bad the weight difference is so difficult to describe. The packing container , for the battery,
feels empty.

I would suggest keeping the special charger in its box and using it every six months, or so. Ya know, balance the cells every six months, to 1 year. Mine has been perfect and this is what Ive done.

If you study these batteries, they like being 1/2-3/4 charged. No need to worry about it being at 100%.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm sure this ones easier to get in and out also as the stock one can be a pain as its a very neat fit

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I just bought a Shorai LFX 194A-BS12 battery. I had a Shorai on my last bike (FZ-07) and it was (measured by me) 4.73 lbs lighter than stock. It worked great, and the battery is located high enough in the bike that on the FZ it was actually a noticeable difference (or maybe placebo effect). Either way, I'm looking forward to loosing about 5 pounds and not having to diet (even though I should, and need too).
:(

·
Registered
394 Posts
My concern is that the charging system on the bike isn't made to work with lithium batteries. Lithium needs the charging to cut off at a certain voltage, lower than what the generator puts to the battery, and the generator doesn't shut off (lithium batteries shouldn't be trickle charged, which is essentially what would happen when the charging system sees the battery full and intermittently interrupts the circuit.)

The way around this is to put electronics inside the lithium battery case - and it's not a simple resistor, it's a system that senses a full charge and fully cuts the charging circuit, and doesn't open it again until it sees some set lower voltage. There's nothing wrong with this in theory, but.... if the circuitry fails, there is potential for serious burning. There are plenty of videos about lipo fires.

I'm not saying whether or not this happens a lot - and not trying to steer anyone in any direction. I've been playing with lipo batteries for years in RC planes and then wherever else I could find fun ways to use them (camping lights, power tools, etc.) I personally just don't care for the risk of having one go off under my butt, hundreds of miles from home.

If I was looking for all-out track performance I'd consider it a risk worth taking. But for every day use I don't see enough reward. If you do, I respect your opinion too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Knowing how engineers think, I am sure they designed the board so that if it failed it would no longer allow ANY charging...preventing a meltdown.

Charging isn't the only danger to LI-ON batteries. Should the housing get cracked and water get inside you will have a major problem. Lithium reacts VERY badly to water. If you have ever been in a lithium plant you know this well, especially in the hot humid weather. i have to go to two different lithium plants in my work. You must wear long sleeve in the plant. If you happen to be sweating and you get lithium powder on your arms it burns your skin. I walked in a building where they bag the stuff in 50 pound bags. They had just turned off the hopper/filler machine and there was a fine dust in the air. I took a breath or two in there and turned around and walk out as it burns and chokes you a little. They guys that work there are used to it a bit as they stayed in there. Crazy buggers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Theres always goign to be risk when you store energy.

Imagine what might happen if someone turned on a blowtorch just as you were filling your fuel tank?

Or, you crash your bike, puncture your fuel tank, and the sparks cause the bike to go up in flames?

But, we dont worry about that five gallons of fuel we are carrying because it never causes an issue.

Thats the thing to be concerned with, and thats where your danger is. Not your battery. If a person is scared of a battery, you can just by-pass the danger of the fuel in the tank.

The fuel is being carried in liquid form, with a lot of vapor (hot day) , just waiting for a ignition source.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts