GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
I've got a new-to-me bike that I can't ride either - it really does suck.

Hopefully that ECU you get is good and can be resold when your original one gets found. Actually, if you plan on doing that would it make sense to still map it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I feel sorry 4 ya mate that's so crap. It reminded me of some stuff I purchase about 6 years back from italy i don't remember which delivery service it was sent by but once it landed in Australia it took another 2 and a half weeks to get to my door.
I had a tracking number and from the day in landed in Au the tracking showed it was being send up and down the coast.
so I contacted the seller they got back and informed me that the delivery service said it was lost next day it arrives at my door 馃ぃ
At least you ended up getting your stuff, so be thankful for that! At this point I have no clue whether or not I'll ever see my ECU again. Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've got a new-to-me bike that I can't ride either - it really does suck.

Hopefully that ECU you get is good and can be resold when your original one gets found. Actually, if you plan on doing that would it make sense to still map it?
What's up with your bike?

Registered
It needs a transmission output shaft seal. It's a fairly simple fix, it's just taking a long time to get the seal on the island. I already pulled the old seal, but received the wrong replacement so the bike sits unusable for a little while :/

Registered
Yeah, there's no shortage of riding season here. I was without a bike for over 3 years and was just reminded how much I love to ride, so I'm just anxious to get it going again.

Tennis coach: "I live an hour away at the North Shore. Would you be interested in meeting half way?"
Me: "Nah, I just got a bike. I'll come to you!" =D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It needs a transmission output shaft seal. It's a fairly simple fix, it's just taking a long time to get the seal on the island. I already pulled the old seal, but received the wrong replacement so the bike sits unusable for a little while :/
Ah, man. I feel for you. It really isn't fun.

Registered
So I found out today that the ECU in my bike has been superceded by another part number. The original part number was 32920-38K51 and the replacement part number is 32920-38K50. Same exact part number, except for the last digit. Goes from a one to a zero.

A new one from the dealer is around $1,000 and online they are roughly $800. I was able to locate a used ECU that matches the replacement number for $400 online. I'll make sure it works once I receive it and if it does, I'll send it out for the flash.

I was tired of waiting for USPS to deliver my original ECU while the riding season is passing me by. Nothing worse then having a brand new motorcycle sitting in the garage that you can't ride, especially after performing a bunch of modifications. Still hoping the other one shows up at Dano's. I'll update this thread once I get the new one and test it out.
Your info source was incorrect. The way Suzuki code the ECU is that the original version of all the variants ends in 0 and the 38K51 (all the others) is the first update one that came out to stop the surging from a "closed" loop feedback. That was around mid 2016 and they as best as I know have not made another change as in 38K52 or any of the other Country variations. The 38K51 ECU is the preferred one, as the original made the some bikes more throttle snatchy in some peoples experiences.

Rob.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Your info source was incorrect. The way Suzuki code the ECU is that the original version of all the variants ends in 0 and the 38K51 (all the others) is the first update one that came out to stop the surging from a "closed" loop feedback. That was around mid 2016 and they as best as I know have not made another change as in 38K52 or any of the other Country variations. The 38K51 ECU is the preferred one, as the original made the some bikes more throttle snatchy in some peoples experiences.

Rob.
That may be true, but it's the info I was given. I'm going to try the 32920-38K50 anyway. I really don't have any other option at this point. Try looking for a 32920-38K51. Trust me, if I could locate one I would have bought it. Found one new one on eBay for $1,350 from a seller in Japan with poor feedback. Not gonna risk buying that one.

The 2018-2019 non-E33 bikes, which mine is, all used the 32920-38K50 and I thought they had the snatch cured with the 2018-2019 bikes. Either way, with a flash I shouldn't have to worry about it.

@Slower and Slower

I can't find anything showing that the switch was made in mid-2016 to the 32920-38K51 ECU as you stated. Everything I see shows Suzuki used 32920-04K50 on the E28 bikes and 32920-04K90 on the E33 bikes up until the switch in 2018 and 2019 to (non-E33) 32920-38K50 and (E33) 32920-38K90. The 2016-2017 ECU connectors are completely different then the newer style connector they switched to on the 2018-2019 model years with these (non-E33) 32920-38K50 and (E33) 32920-38K90 ECU's, so I'm not sure how they could have used the 32920-38K51 in mid-2016 when the 2016-2017 style connectors wouldn't work with the newer 32920-38K50, 32920-38K90, or 32920-38K51 ECU's.

Looking at online parts diagrams from several different sources, I cannot find where the 32920-38K51 was used in any GSX-S1000 prior to 2020. If you can point me in the right direction as to where I can find that information, I'd like to have a look.

Registered
If he's going to flash/map the ECU, does that matter?
It might. I may be wrong, but with Woolich at least you have to get a license for your specific ECU. In order to communicate and flash in the first place. Then you cannot, and this may be wrong, flash to another part number ECU. In effect, you can only flash to the same model, not a different one. If anybody on here reads and knows different, please correct. I am assuming, so asking Woolich direct may prove otherwise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It might. I may be wrong, but with Woolich at least you have to get a license for your specific ECU. In order to communicate and flash in the first place. Then you cannot, and this may be wrong, flash to another part number ECU. In effect, you can only flash to the same model, not a different one. If anybody on here reads and knows different, please correct. I am assuming, so asking Woolich direct may prove otherwise.
I've been in communication with Dan (Dano's Performance) throughout this ordeal. I'll have the replacement ECU on Tuesday and once I install it and confirm everything is working as it should, he said he can flash it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sounds like the original is still MIA?
Unfortunately, yes. Zero update to the tracking number since the day I shipped it out and I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting a reply from USPS. I've submitted a missing mail search inquiry and so far have received nothing but a couple generic automated responses stating that the increase in online shopping during COVID-19 has created longer wait times in some instances. Doing my best to reach an actual human being, but no luck yet. 馃様

Registered
That's unfortunate ... I also had something lost years ago but was able to get Canada Post to cover the cost of the item. Might be worth a try but be prepared to be a squeaky wheel with USPS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That's unfortunate ... I also had something lost years ago but was able to get Canada Post to cover the cost of the item. Might be worth a try but be prepared to be a squeaky wheel with USPS.
It sure does. Glad to hear that you were able to get yours covered. Unwisely, I chose not to insure this time, so I feel partly responsible. Not for the initial loss, but for the missed opportunity to recover it's value. I think I've got a 0% chance of getting any money back, aside from the included $100. I'm still hoping it will miraculously reappear on tracking and be delivered.

I do have the 2018 ECU (32920-38K50) scheduled for delivery on Tuesday, so hopefully that works. Wish me luck, guys!

Registered
Mine was not insured as well but the postal service needs to take some responsibility for losing your item ... at the worst maybe see if they'll cover half if they won't budge on 100%.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mine was not insured as well but the postal service needs to take some responsibility for losing your item ... at the worst maybe see if they'll cover half if they won't budge on 100%.
Absolutely agree. I plan on doing everything I can to recover whatever I can if it doesn't show up soon. I'm giving it 30 days and then I'll really start the push back with USPS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Finally some good news with my ECU! Received a tracking update today and it arrived in San Bernardino, CA. I believe this is the last stop before being sent to the local post office in Hemet, CA for delivery to Dano's Performance! What a relief!

Today I also received the replacement ECU I purchased last week. So it looks like I now went from having zero ECU's to having a spare. If anyone needs an ECU for a 2018 GSX-S1000 with ABS (non-E33), please message me.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts